Srinagar: President of the Jammu and Kashmir National Conference Farooq Abdullah on Wednesday strongly condemned the demolition drive in Sidhra, which left several tribal families homeless, terming it inhuman, unjust and a cruel assault on humanity.
In a statement issued from the party headquarters Nawa-e-Subha, Dr Farooq said the manner in which residential houses of tribal families were demolished without giving them time to save their belongings had caused deep pain and outrage.
“The scenes emerging from Sidhra are heartbreaking. Women, children and the elderly were left in shock as their homes, belongings, food grains, clothes, medicines and documents were buried under rubble within hours. Such brutality has no place in a democratic society governed by law,” he said.
The NC president said the demolition drive had raised serious questions regarding alleged violation of Supreme Court guidelines and the treatment meted out to vulnerable families.
“No authority has the right to trample upon the dignity of citizens in such a ruthless manner. Homes are not mere structures; they are symbols of security, memories and hope,” he added.
Referring to the upcoming Eid festival, Dr Farooq said the affected families had been pushed into immense suffering at a time when they should have been preparing for celebrations.
He also demanded a transparent and time-bound inquiry into the incident and sought action against officials found responsible for violating legal and humanitarian norms.
Dr Farooq appreciated the outreach by Minister for Jal Shakti, Forest and Tribal Affairs Javed Rana and National Conference leaders from Jammu for visiting the affected families and extending support on the ground.
He reiterated that the National Conference stands firmly with the victims and will continue to raise its voice against injustice.