• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

HC asks former minister Rather to approach Estates deptt for retaining his govt accommodation

Images News Netwok by Images News Netwok
August 18, 2022
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
HC seeks J&K govt’s response on home quarantine of asymptomatic COVID-19 patients
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: Former minister and National Conference senior leader Abdul Rahim Rather, facing risk of losing his government accommodation, was on Monday directed by the J&K High Court to immediately make a representation before the government to plead his case.

The court also quashed a 2016 government notice whereof he along with other occupants had been asked to vacate the government accommodation or face action according to the law.

More News

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Load More

The government lawyer, however, argued against Rather saying his eviction is covered by a 2020 Judgment of the J&K High Court. The court in its order had directed the governmental authorities to ensure eviction of unauthorized and illegal occupants from government accommodation. It had directed recovery of rent from former ministers, legislators, retired officers, politicians and political persons occupying these accommodations.

The petitioner Rather claimed through his lawyer that his ancestral house at village Badipora of Budgam district was inhospitable and that he was enjoying Z-category security because of the threat to his life by militants.

He further said that the possession of his government accommodation was extended from time to time. In terms of a government order of 2018, he also used to deposit its rent with the government, he said.

Losing the accommodation will expose him to the attack by the subversive elements, his lawyer told the court.

He also questioned the validity of the vacation notice on the ground of being discriminatory in nature.  He said the respondent Estates Department has allowed the former legislators with less security threats to retain government accommodations.

He informed the court that “former legislators Zaffar Iqbal Manhas, Girdhari Lal Raina, Ghulam Ahmad Mir, Mohammad Rafi Mir, Nazir Ahmad Laway, Fayaz Ahmad Mir, Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami, Abdul Majeed Padder, Sajad Gani Lone, Basharat Bukhari, Javid Ahmad, Sofi Yousuf, Nizamuddin Bhat, Dr. Mehboob Beg, Abdul Razak Zaoora, and Mohammad Shafi Bhat are still enjoying the government accommodation despite court orders.”

Justices Ali Mohammad Magrey and Mohammad Akram Chowdhary, after hearing the arguments said “this court is not equipped with necessary mechanism to assess ‘threat perception’ of petitioners or to conclude whether petitioners or anyone of them deserves to be allowed to retain present accommodation or provide alternate government/hired accommodation”.

It directed “the state government shall constitute a committee headed by Additional Director General of Police, Security, and comprising of District Magistrate, Srinagar/Jammu; Director Estates; Superintendent of Police, Security, Srinagar/Jammu; and any other member co-opted by Additional Director General of Police, Security, to make an objective assessment of threat perception of petitioners.”

It said the government should assess as to allow the petitioners to retain present government accommodation in their use or to provide them alternate government, or hired accommodation.

The committee shall allow petitioners to put forth their stand either in person or through their representative including written representations, it directed.

Disposing the Rather’s and other petitions by the mainstream politicians the bench declared “the notice impugned dated 06.04.2016 as quashed”.

The petitioner (Rather) shall make a detailed representation along with supported documents before the Director Estates within one week from today, it directed.

Previous Post

Have identified killers of Kashmiri Pandit in Shopian: DGP

Next Post

Politicians react sharply to reports that ordinary residents can vote in J&K elections

Images News Netwok

Images News Netwok

Related Posts

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday flagged low conviction rates under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and said that...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Monday reviewed the ongoing construction works and pilgrim facilities at Shri Amarnath Shrine Board...

Read moreDetails

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Out on interim bail, Engineer Rashid meets ailing father in Srinagar hospital
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The father of jailed Baramulla MP Sheikh Abdul Rashid, also known as Engineer Rashid, died at a hospital in...

Read moreDetails

CM expresses grief over demise of father of MP, MLA Khursheed Ahmad

CM assures priority redressal of public concerns
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the passing away of Khazir Mohammad Sheikh, father...

Read moreDetails

Person cannot be declared “history-sheeter”, placed under surveillance ‘mechanically’ HC

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh has ruled that a person cannot be declared a “history-sheeter”...

Read moreDetails

Have urged chief justices of all HCs to conduct virtual hearings: CJI

‘Imaandari’ not mere ornament to character, it sustains justice and reputation: CJI
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said on Monday that he had requested the chief justices of all...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Omar, Mehbooba, Sajad condemn civilian killings

Politicians react sharply to reports that ordinary residents can vote in J&K elections

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.