• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Number of active militants in Kashmir has come down to 180: Officials

Images News Netwok by Images News Netwok
December 31, 2021
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Number of active militants in Kashmir has come down to 180: Officials
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

 

 

More News

LG pitches for dismantling funding, networks, and support systems of terrorism

High court announces virtual hearings amid fuel conservation measures

J&K finalises Panchayat Electoral Rolls 2026; voter count crosses 72.24 lakh

Load More

Srinagar: For the first time since insurgency broke out in Kashmir, the total number of militants active in the Valley has fallen below 200 and the recruitment of youngsters by militant outfits has also been kept in check, top security officials said on Thursday.

Addressing a press conference in the Qazigund area of Anantnag district in south Kashmir, Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kashmir, Vijay Kumar and General Officer Commanding (GoC) of the Army’s 15 Corps Lieutenant General D P Pandey said the security situation has improved in the Valley.

“Majority of the operations conducted this year were based on human intelligence,” Lt Gen. Pandey said, adding that the “number of active terrorists in the valley has come down to 180”.

Giving further details, Kumar said this is the first time since insurgency broke out that the total number of active militants across Kashmir has fallen below the 200-mark.

“It is also for the first time that the number of local terrorists is below 100 — at 85 or 86,” he said.

Kumar said 128 youngsters have joined the militant ranks so far this year, of whom 73 have been killed in encounters and 16 arrested.

Lt Gen. Pandey said compared to the last two years, “the recruitment of youngsters by terror outfits was down in 2021.

“Last year, it was more than 180. It shows that there is an awakening in the civil society. People have realised the futility of taking up violence. They understand what is happening across (the border).

“We should look at it positively. The civil population is helping us neutralise the terrorists and also enabling us to break the cycle of violence…. I am sure we will see greater peace and a lesser number of youngsters coming out to join the terror ranks in the next year or so,” he said.

The GoC said those aged above 20-21 years “are not falling prey to the terror outfits’ plans and thus, the latter have started recruiting boys aged 15-16 years”.

“Also, the second trend which is coming out is that they (youngsters) are no longer proud of themselves picking up weapons, so they are not declaring their names. Whosoever is joining is hiding his identity,” he added.

“It was very clear and evident during a recent operation, which came into spotlight for various reasons, that all the family members belonging to the OGW network or the local terrorists came out in the open and claimed innocence.

“Today, I feel the society does not want to accept OGWs (overground workers) and terrorists into their houses or in the proximity,” Lt Gen. Pandey said.

Asked about the increase in the number of foreign militants killed in encounters, the GoC said the “local terrorists are now refusing to carry out operations”.

“That is another challenge that they (terror outfits) are facing and therefore, Pakistani terrorists are now coming to the fore to lead operations. As they will emerge from the heights, from the cover and carry out the operations, they will be neutralised,” he added.

Kumar said the “foreign terrorists” were on the higher ridges of the mountains in the summer months but as the winter has arrived, they have come down to the plains.

“So, a foreign terrorist is killed in almost every encounter, which is good for us,” he said.

On a question about the situation along the Line of Control (LoC), Lt Gen. Pandey said it is absolutely fine and the ceasefire is being honoured.

“People are going about their routine activities, they are pretty happy on either side of the LoC,” he said.

The GoC, however, said the “terror launchpads across the border continue to be full and there are inputs of attempts to cross over to the Indian side in the winter as well.

“But I can assure you that we are fully ready for any such eventuality to ensure that no infiltration takes place. If any does take place, we will be neutralising them the way the operations are being conducted in the hinterland,” he said.

The GoC said infiltration “will happen”, but “it has been controlled”.

“This year, the infiltration numbers are far lesser compared to the previous years,” he added.

Previous Post

Decision on which vaccine to be given as precautionary dose expected soon: Govt

Next Post

3 JeM militants, one soldier killed in Anantnag encounter

Images News Netwok

Images News Netwok

Related Posts

LG pitches for dismantling funding, networks, and support systems of terrorism

LG pitches for dismantling funding, networks, and support systems of terrorism
May 21, 2026

Jammu: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Wednesday said peace is the fundamental prerequisite for development and credited the Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

High court announces virtual hearings amid fuel conservation measures

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 21, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh on Wednesday announced the adoption of virtual hearings and hybrid...

Read moreDetails

J&K finalises Panchayat Electoral Rolls 2026; voter count crosses 72.24 lakh

Name not in voters’ list, claim non-migrant Kashmiri Pandits
May 21, 2026

Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir State Election Commission has finalised the Panchayat Electoral Rolls 2026 following completion of the annual...

Read moreDetails

Sidhra Demolition: Govt sets-up committee to probe violations of Forest Rights Act

Authorities in J&K probe ‘radicalisation’ of youths especially girls in Kashmir schools
May 21, 2026

Srinagar/JAMMU: As the Jammu & Kashmir government on Wednesday constituted a committee to probe possible violations of the Forest Rights...

Read moreDetails

J&K Cong seeks probe by retired HC judge into Jammu forest eviction drive

BJP’s lip service, empty rhetoric won’t work in Assembly polls: J&K Cong
May 21, 2026

Jammu/Srinagar: The Congress in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday demanded a high-level inquiry headed by a sitting or retired high...

Read moreDetails

CS reviews sustainability plan for Industrial Biotech Parks in J&K

Chief Secy reviews Mission YUVA progress across J&K districts
May 21, 2026

Jammu: Chief Secretary Atal Dulloo on Wednesday reviewed the operational framework and sustainability plan for Industrial Biotech Parks being established...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Two militants, ‘active associate’ killed in Shopian encounter

3 JeM militants, one soldier killed in Anantnag encounter

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.