• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, August 3, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

SC rejects J&K plea challenging quashing of FIR against Olympic judge Bilquis Mir

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 30, 2026
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi:  The Supreme Court has dismissed a Jammu and Kashmir administration petition challenging the quashing of an FIR in a corruption case against Bilquis Mir, India’s first female judge for kayaking and canoeing at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

The petition was moved before the apex court challenging the Jammu and Kashmir High Court’s last July order quashing the FIR filed by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) against Mir.

More News

  Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers

CM announces Rs 10 lakh each for kin of victims

3 special trains ferry 2,200 stranded passengers

Load More

The high court had delivered a scathing rebuke to authorities saying it “seems that the people at the helm of affairs are leaving no stone unturned in harassing such talented people”.

The Jammu and Kashmir administration had moved the top court requesting for condoning delay in filing the appeal against the high court order and exemption from filing a certified copy of the judgment.

While condoning the delay in challenging the high court order, a division bench of Justices Aravind Kumar and Vipul M Pancholi dismissed the petition on merits.

“Having heard learned counsel appearing for the petitioner, we are not inclined to entertain this petition. Hence, the special leave petition stands dismissed,” the order dated July 27 said.

In the strongly-worded 20-page order last year, Justice Sanjay Dhar of Jammu and Kashmir High Court had said it was “alarmed” to note that the ACB has even tried to go into the issue as to whether the answer scripts of Mir in her graduate examination have been properly evaluated by the examiners.

“This attitude of ACB clearly smacks of wreaking vengeance upon the petitioner (Mir). The present case appears to be nothing but a witch-hunt launched against the petitioner by vested interests,” the court had said.

Invoking Section 528 of Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), which deals with the inherent powers of the high court to prevent the abuse of the legal process and to secure the ends of justice, the court said the continuance of criminal proceedings against Mir in these circumstances would be nothing “but an abuse of process of law” and quashed the FIR.

Justice Dhar, in his judgement, had referred to a February 16, 2024, letter from vice-president of Indian Olympic Association to the chief secretary highlighting the achievements of the petitioner by conveying that selection of Mir to officiate at the Olympics is a matter of pride for the country as a whole and Jammu and Kashmir in particular.

The court had also referred to the communication that it is a celebration and triumph for all women of India that she has achieved what no one else has in over a hundred years of the Olympics.

Coming down heavily on authorities, the court had said this country has produced very few sports personalities and coaches of the level of Mir “and instead of honouring them and celebrating their achievements, it seems that the people at helm of affairs are leaving no stone unturned in harassing such talented people”.

“No surprise that even after more than 75 years of Independence, this country has failed to develop a sporting culture, as a consequence whereof, we have failed to produce sportsmen/women of international standards in proportion to our population,” it had said.

The court had said the attitude of ACB in criminalising non-acquisition of a technical qualification by Mir “speaks volumes about the manner in which we are treating our sporting heroes”.

Previous Post

House destroyed in Sheeri gas cylinder explosion

Next Post

875 films from 50 countries entered for inaugural J&K international film festival

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

  Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers

   Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Security forces on Saturday intensified search operations to track down the assailants who killed two migrant labourers in Kulgam...

Read moreDetails

CM announces Rs 10 lakh each for kin of victims

CM calls for depiction of cultural identity in new infrastructure at JK House properties across India
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday announced an ex-gratia relief of Rs 10 lakh each for the kin of...

Read moreDetails

3 special trains ferry 2,200 stranded passengers

Locomotive of Jammu-bound train detaches from coaches in Punjab
August 2, 2026

Jammu: The Northern Railway operated three special trains in J&K on Saturday and successfully transported around 2,200 passengers stranded due...

Read moreDetails

Condemning Kulgam terror attack, Farooq Abdullah questions timing of attack; seeks probe

Farooq Abdullah questions Centre’s silence on situation in PoJK
August 2, 2026

Jammu/Srinagar: National Conference president Farooq Abdullah on Saturday condemned the Kulgam terror attack that left two migrant workers dead but...

Read moreDetails

LG hands over job letters to kin of two slain policemen

LG hands over job letters to kin of two slain policemen
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Saturday handed over appointment letters on compassionate grounds to the son of a head...

Read moreDetails

No society prospers on govt jobs alone: CM

Following KI report on Srinagar Smart City fiasco, CM announces inquiry
August 2, 2026

Bengaluru:  Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said no society had ever become prosperous solely through government employment or public...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
KI News

875 films from 50 countries entered for inaugural J&K international film festival

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.