• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 2, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Villagers near LoC in ecstatic as Indo-Pak ceasefire enters third year

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 6, 2023
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
‘Border residents rue slow pace of bunker construction
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Rajouri/Jammu: Mohammad Yousuf Kohli is constructing a new house for his family of six in a forward village near the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district, a dream which he says is fulfilled only because of the ceasefire between India and Pakistan that entered its third year last month.

The border villagers are enjoying peace along the borders by going for normal activities like tending their land and grazing their cattle without the fear of cross-border shelling.

More News

  Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers

CM announces Rs 10 lakh each for kin of victims

3 special trains ferry 2,200 stranded passengers

Load More

The villagers said they are praying for continuation of the agreement so that the schooling of their children is not affected and benefits of developmental activities reach the last village on the border.

On February 25, 2021, India and Pakistan announced implementation of renewed ceasefire along the borders in Jammu and Kashmir, which came as a major relief to the people living along the LoC and the International Border. India and Pakistan had initially signed a ceasefire agreement in 2003, but Pakistan frequently violated the agreement with over 5,000 violations reported in 2020 the highest in a single year.

“For the last four years, my family was thinking of constructing a new house but we were not able to do this as ceasefire violation was a regular scene in our village,” Kohli’s elder son Ibrar Ahmd, a college student, told PTI at the construction site in his Niaka village which is close to the LoC.

He said even repairing houses damaged due to shelling was a distant dream as venturing out of the house was like going into the death trap.

“No mason or labourer used to come for work in our village. But things have changed now and we are living our lives in a calm atmosphere with everyone busy in their normal routine,” he said.

Niaka is the last village on the Indian side in Tarkundi sector of Manjakote tehsil and was witness of intense shelling before February 2021. Two women of the village died when a mortar shell from Pakistan hit their houses in the village in 2017.

Mohammad Nazir (41), another villager, said it was their dream to live a dignified life, where there is no threat of shelling and firing, children attend their school and farmers work in their fields without any threat to their lives.

“In those times, we were not even able to sleep inside our homes,” he said.

Nazir said the government needs to focus more on the border villages to undertake developmental activities to ensure basic facilities, including potable water, good roads and electricity.

“The residents of Ratti Mitti, Chiti Bakri, Niaka, Chamba, Panjgrian, Peryali and others are economically weaker and are facing a lack of basic amenities, including good schools and health centres, which are just for the namesake,” he said.

Farooq Ahmad, a farmer, said silence of guns on the LoC came as a big relief for them and they are moving around, tending their fields and grazing cattle without any tension.

“The ceasefire should last forever. There is nothing like a peaceful atmosphere,” he said.

Mohammad Yousif, a social activist, said things have improved to a major extent due to the ceasefire in the last two years and everyone in the area wants this peace pact to continue.

“Only we know the hardships of cross-border shelling. No outsider can even imagine the life in those nightmare days,” he said, recounting the horror when people were forced to spend several days inside their houses due to heavy shelling.

“We have struggled to live and are fortunate enough that no bullet or mortar shell brought our death despite dozens of shells falling very close to our houses,” he said, pointing that there are no houses in the village without a splinter mark.

Previous Post

Cong launches month-long ‘Haath Se Haath Jodo’ campaign in J&K

Next Post

Will go by mandate given to us: CRPF on its role in counter-insurgency operations in Kashmir

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

  Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers

   Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Security forces on Saturday intensified search operations to track down the assailants who killed two migrant labourers in Kulgam...

Read moreDetails

CM announces Rs 10 lakh each for kin of victims

CM calls for depiction of cultural identity in new infrastructure at JK House properties across India
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday announced an ex-gratia relief of Rs 10 lakh each for the kin of...

Read moreDetails

3 special trains ferry 2,200 stranded passengers

Locomotive of Jammu-bound train detaches from coaches in Punjab
August 2, 2026

Jammu: The Northern Railway operated three special trains in J&K on Saturday and successfully transported around 2,200 passengers stranded due...

Read moreDetails

Condemning Kulgam terror attack, Farooq Abdullah questions timing of attack; seeks probe

Farooq Abdullah questions Centre’s silence on situation in PoJK
August 2, 2026

Jammu/Srinagar: National Conference president Farooq Abdullah on Saturday condemned the Kulgam terror attack that left two migrant workers dead but...

Read moreDetails

LG hands over job letters to kin of two slain policemen

LG hands over job letters to kin of two slain policemen
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Saturday handed over appointment letters on compassionate grounds to the son of a head...

Read moreDetails

No society prospers on govt jobs alone: CM

Following KI report on Srinagar Smart City fiasco, CM announces inquiry
August 2, 2026

Bengaluru:  Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said no society had ever become prosperous solely through government employment or public...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
CRPF pledges stringent security measures to provide security to minority community members in Kashmir

Will go by mandate given to us: CRPF on its role in counter-insurgency operations in Kashmir

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.