• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home SPORTS

Gulf conflict, Ramzan take a huge toll on World Para Athletics Grand Prix

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 12, 2026
in SPORTS
A A
0
Gulf conflict, Ramzan take a huge toll on World Para Athletics Grand Prix
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The escalating conflict in West Asia has dealt a major blow to the ongoing World Para Athletics Grand Prix here, with participation shrinking drastically as only six foreign nations ultimately made it to Indian shores, despite nearly 30 countries having earlier confirmed their presence.

Coaches associated with the Indian team said the war, coupled with the holy month of Ramzan, played a significant role in drastically reducing participation numbers, adding that that while 18 foreign nations had travelled for India’s inaugural edition of the World Para Athletics Grand Prix at the same venue last year, the organisers could not replicate those numbers this time.

More News

Net bowlers: The unseen architects of IPL batting fireworks

PBKS seek dramatic turnaround to keep playoff hopes alive against struggling LSG

Vijay Shankar retires from domestic cricket and IPL to pursue new opportunities

Load More

A total of 257 athletes are competing in the Grand Prix, the second leg of the season, with India fielding a massive 219 participants across multiple track-and-field events and sport classifications. Russia has the second-largest contingent with 40 para athletes, while the remaining countries account for only a minuscule presence in comparison.

“The event has been hit hard by the ongoing conflict in the Gulf as well as Ramzan. Around seven to eight Muslim countries could not make the trip because of that (Ramzan). Several International Paralympic Committee officials were also unable to travel and had to be replaced at the last minute as they were not getting flights into India,” said a coach of a renowned para athlete on condition of anonymity.

“Most of the connecting flights come via Dubai and the Gulf and with the disruptions they (athletes) had to cancel their trips,” said the coach.

The inaugural World Para Athletics Grand Prix in Dubai last month featured athletes from 53 nations, lending the competition a truly international flavour, but the event in India has been largely dominated by the hosts, with several clean sweeps owing to the limited participation from foreign countries.

“When the Grand Prix was held in Dubai, there were no such issues and India had also sent a 59-member contingent. Most of the withdrawals this time happened at the last minute. We received several communications, and governments of a number of countries also issued travel advisories, because of which their contingents pulled out,” said another coach.

Devendra Jhajharia, president of the Paralympic Committee of India, conceded that the two factors had indeed taken a toll on the Grand Prix, but stressed that the event was also sending out a strong message that India is capable of hosting a major international competition despite the challenges unfolding around the world.

“Yes participation is less due to the month of Ramzan and the conflict in the Gulf. Several events have got cancelled because of that. But we are organising an international event, which is good.

“Hosting a Grand Prix means new Indian para athletes can get their classification done in India itself. We have been successful on that front, with 74 new athletes receiving their classification. If an athlete travels to another country for classification, they end up spending lakhs of rupees,” said Jhajharia.

“Also, the Asian Para Games are scheduled later this year in Japan. Our athletes need to achieve their MQS (Minimum Qualification Scores), so most of them are competing in the Grand Prix to secure those marks. Once they clear the MQS, there will be trials followed by the final selection for the Games,” he added.

Previous Post

Bim10: ICC suspends player, two top officials on corruption charges

Next Post

PIB Jammu holds media workshop on AI Impact Summit 2026, trains journalists on AI tools

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Net bowlers: The unseen architects of IPL batting fireworks

Net bowlers: The unseen architects of IPL batting fireworks
May 23, 2026

New Delhi: The towering sixes, audacious scoops and last-over carnage that define the Indian Premier League are often rehearsed far...

Read moreDetails

PBKS seek dramatic turnaround to keep playoff hopes alive against struggling LSG

PBKS seek dramatic turnaround to keep playoff hopes alive against struggling LSG
May 23, 2026

Lucknow:  Punjab Kings will need something spectacular to arrest a disastrous slide and keep their fading playoff hopes alive when...

Read moreDetails

Vijay Shankar retires from domestic cricket and IPL to pursue new opportunities

May 23, 2026

New Delhi:  India all-rounder Vijay Shankar on Friday announced retirement from domestic cricket and Indian Premier League (IPL) to "pursue...

Read moreDetails

Anti-Doping Act set to be amended; Ministry proposes five-year jail for suppliers of banned drugs

Anti-Doping Act set to be amended; Ministry proposes five-year jail for suppliers of banned drugs
May 21, 2026

New Delhi: The recently-amended National Anti-Doping Act will be modified once again to criminalise trafficking and distribution of prohibited substances...

Read moreDetails

Commonwealth Games Day to be celebrated across India on May 24

Commonwealth Games Day to be celebrated across India on May 24
May 21, 2026

New Delhi: Shooter Anjum Modgil and badminton player Trupti Murgunde will be among the sporting stars in attendance when the...

Read moreDetails

Discus thrower Banvir banned for 7 years, Harendra gets second 4-year suspension

May 21, 2026

New Delhi: Discus thrower Banvir Singh has been banned for seven years by the the National Anti-Doping Agency's Appeal Panel...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

PIB Jammu holds media workshop on AI Impact Summit 2026, trains journalists on AI tools

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.