• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, August 5, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home CITY & TOWNS

Not my thoughts, social media post on Engineer Rashid’s win meant to spark debate: Omar Abdullah

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
June 12, 2024
in CITY & TOWNS
A A
0
Omar Abdullah not to contest J&K assembly polls

File Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar:  National Conference leader Omar Abdullah has dismissed claims that Engineer Rashid’s win in the Baramulla Lok Sabha seat strengthens the “secessionist” movement and clarified that his ‘X’ post highlighting the victory was meant to spark a debate.

He emphasised that the views expressed were not his own but aimed at promoting dialogue. “They’re not my thoughts and I made that abundantly clear,” Abdullah told PTI on Monday.

More News

No religion permits killing innocents: CM on Kulgam attack

Dy CM directs fast-tracking of key mining projects to revive JK Minerals Ltd

Javed Rana reviews Jal Jeevan Mission progress, calls for faster fund flow

Load More

The NC leader said his social media post highlighting Rashid’s win was meant to spark debate and raise awareness about the election discussions happening nationally and internationally.

“If I had to express those views, I would have made them during the campaign. I would have said it in a speech. I put that tweet there and I’ve no regrets about doing it,” he said.

The NC leader said it is important that people know what is being talked about in the election in the rest of the country and the world.

A controversy erupted after Abdullah last week posted a news article on a social media platform that suggested Engineer Rashid’s win would empower “secessionists”.

The row broke out after a private television news agency attributed the excerpts of the article shared by the National Conference (NC) leader to him. It triggered reactions from mainstream politicians in Jammu and Kashmir.

Abdullah was defeated by Sheikh Abdul Rashid, popularly known as ‘Engineer Rashid’, who is jailed under the UAPA, by more than two lakh votes in the just-concluded Lok Sabha elections. The NC leader had conceded defeat and congratulated Rashid on his win.

About Rashid’s political stance, Abdullah acknowledged that while Rashid may hold differing opinions at times, he has taken the same oath to uphold India’s unity, integrity, and Constitution as any other politician.

Addressing the social media controversy that followed his initial post, Abdullah said his opponents might attempt to twist his words but emphasised the importance of holding him accountable for his own views.

Reflecting on his defeat in the Lok Sabha elections from Baramulla, Abdullah admitted that campaigns focusing on emotional appeals, such as Rashid’s son’s plea to free his father from jail, play a significant role in deciding the outcome.

“The sentiment, the emotional appeal made by Rashid’s son to people to help him get his father out of jail worked for the AIP. ‘Merey baap ko phaansi lagney se bachao, vote do’ (Save my father from gallows, vote for him)… How do you counter that? You can’t! It would take a heartless person to tell people that ‘whatever happens with Engineer Rashid, let it happen but you give your vote to me’,” he said.

When asked about any regrets about contesting from Baramulla, the NC leader explained that the decision was based on party inputs and ground assessments, with factors evolving during the campaign period.

“As far as I was concerned, it was a fight between me and Sajad Lone and that’s how it was. Engineer Rashid came later and for the first few days, even his campaign was absent…

“Then suddenly something changed. What changed, I don’t know! Now I’ve a lot of theories as to what happened or why it happened but since they are in the realm of theory, we will leave them where they are,” he said.

Abdullah expressed acceptance of the election results, stating that while he does not regret his actions, he would consider a different decision if given the chance.

He also defended against labelling his loss as a rejection of dynastic politics, pointing out that other political figures with family backgrounds in the region have won.

 

Previous Post

Omar Abdullah should quit politics, so should for Muftis: Tarun Chugh

Next Post

Devotees continue to visit Shiv Khori shrine despite Reasi terror attack

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

No religion permits killing innocents: CM on Kulgam attack

CM assures priority redressal of public concerns
August 5, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday termed the killing of two migrant labourers in Kulgam district as "very unfortunate"...

Read moreDetails

Dy CM directs fast-tracking of key mining projects to revive JK Minerals Ltd

Govt committed to catalyse youth initiatives: Dy CM
August 5, 2026

SRINAGAR: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Choudhary on Tuesday directed Jammu and Kashmir Minerals Limited (JKML) to fast-track key mining projects...

Read moreDetails

Javed Rana reviews Jal Jeevan Mission progress, calls for faster fund flow

Govt committed to preserving Kashmir’s houseboat heritage: Javed Rana
August 5, 2026

SRINAGAR: Minister for Jal Shakti, Forest, Ecology and Environment, and Tribal Affairs, Javed Ahmed Rana, on Tuesday reviewed the progress...

Read moreDetails

Centre tells Rajya Sabha J&K achieved 100% immunisation coverage in 2025-26

Parliament’s Monsoon session ends: Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned sine die
August 5, 2026

NEW DELHI: The Union Government has informed the Rajya Sabha that Jammu and Kashmir achieved 100 per cent Full Immunisation...

Read moreDetails

Govt rebuts editorial on industrial policy, cites record investment in J&K

August 5, 2026

SRINAGAR: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Tuesday rejected claims made in an editorial titled "Self-Inflicted Industrial Isolation", published in...

Read moreDetails

Early Census 2027 headcount in J&K’s snow-bound areas from Sept 1

August 5, 2026

SRINAGAR: The headcount phase of Census 2027 will begin in Jammu and Kashmir's snow-bound non-synchronous areas from September 1, with...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Devotees continue to visit Shiv Khori shrine despite Reasi terror attack

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.