• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

COVID-19 has led to 20 lakh job losses in bus, taxi sector; more on anvil: BOCI

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
June 22, 2020
in BUSINESS
A A
0
COVID-19 has led to 20 lakh job losses in bus, taxi sector; more on anvil: BOCI
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: Around 20 lakh people have lost employment and an equal number are staring at job losses as private bus and tourist taxi operators have been hit hard by the coronavirus lockdown, according to the Bus & Car Operators Confederation of India (BOCI).

BOCI, which claims to represent 20,000 operators with 15 lakh buses and maxi-cabs and 11 lakh tourist taxis providing direct employment to 1 crore people, said these private operators need government support in the form of waiver of taxes and interest on loans as many of them are facing closure.

More News

  UN cuts India’s 2026 GDP forecast to 6.4%

Ladakh admin grants ‘industry’ status to hospitality sector, extends incentives

India, Nordic nations agree to elevate ties to Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership

Load More

“During lockdown 95 per cent of our vehicles were off road. Very few buses operated for company contracts, while some were used for transporting migrant labourers,” BOCI President Prasanna Patwardhan told PTI.

With no business, the members are struggling to pay salaries and wages to employees, he added.

“At least out of the 1 crore people, 30-40 lakh people will lose their jobs, 15-20 lakh people have already lost their jobs. Balance they will also lose their jobs,” Patwardhan said while seeking government support for the private bus and cab operators.

“From September onwards, once the (RBI order on loan) moratorium is over and when operators will not be able to pay their EMIs, that is the time when it is going to hit the hardest,” he added.

Seeking government support, he said,”Our demand is to waive off motor vehicle taxes and give concessions on diesel, while removing toll taxes for inter-city travel.”

Besides, since many of the vehicles have been idle in the last three months, he said, “For the lockdown period our insurance policy should get extended, at least by three months. Insurance is quite expensive, unlike before. For buses it can be between Rs 50,000 to Rs 2 lakh a year.”

Patwardhan also sought government intervention for waiver of interest on vehicle loans, saying, “Banks should waive off that interest for at least three months or six months. They should not levy any interest during the moratorium period.”

From September, when the EMI payments are to restart, “businesses are not going to start immediately and come back to normal. So rescheduling of loans is also equally important. They should give us a ‘ballooning kind’ of EMI wherein the initial EMI is less and going forward that EMI will go up,” he said.

Even for existing loans, he said the tenure should be extended by a year and operators should not be burdened with the same kind of EMIs paid last year.

Apart from these, he said BOCI’s long-pending demand of “one nation, one tax one permit” should also be considered.

“This is the time we should make some structural reforms,” Patwardhan said.

As per BOCI, while the government has taken steps to support the economy through various schemes, these have not addressed the public transport sector.

The nationwide lockdown has made a serious financial impact on most passenger transport companies.

Additionally, Patwardhan said the uncertainty of timelines for resumption of operations, guidelines and impact of social distancing have led to acute anxiety among the operators.

 

 

Previous Post

Cartoon

Next Post

Govt extends Rs 50 lakh insurance scheme for healthcare providers till Sep

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

  UN cuts India’s 2026 GDP forecast to 6.4%

  UN cuts India’s 2026 GDP forecast to 6.4%
May 20, 2026

United Nations:  The United Nations has revised downward India's economic growth forecast for 2026 to 6.4 per cent from its...

Read moreDetails

Ladakh admin grants ‘industry’ status to hospitality sector, extends incentives

Ladakh admin grants ‘industry’ status to hospitality sector, extends incentives
May 20, 2026

Leh/Jammu:  The Lieutenant Governor Administration of Ladakh has decided to grant 'industry' status to hotels and guest houses registered with...

Read moreDetails

India, Nordic nations agree to elevate ties to Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership

India, Nordic nations agree to elevate ties to Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership
May 20, 2026

Oslo: India and the Nordic countries on Tuesday decided to elevate their relationship to a Green Technology and Innovation Strategic...

Read moreDetails

Chouhan says fertilisers not easily available in international market, pushes for organic farming

Centre to set up Clean Plant facility to provide disease-resistant plants to horticulturists in Kashmir
May 20, 2026

Bhubaneswar:  Union Agriculture Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Tuesday acknowledged challenges in procuring fertilisers from the international market, urging states...

Read moreDetails

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

RBI holds meeting of Steering Sub Committee of J&K SLBC
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The Reserve Bank on Monday discontinued the requirement for commercial banks to maintain Investment Fluctuation Reserve (IFR), an additional...

Read moreDetails

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

Iran Crisis: No immediate oil disruption for India; Russia pivot possible if conflict drags on
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: India has been purchasing Russian oil irrespective of US sanctions waivers and will continue to do so based...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Govt extends Rs 50 lakh insurance scheme for healthcare providers till Sep

Govt extends Rs 50 lakh insurance scheme for healthcare providers till Sep

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.