• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

URI: Sacred to return home, displaced residents demand alternative land, bunkers

Reyaz Rashid by Reyaz Rashid
February 26, 2018
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
URI: Sacred to return home, displaced residents demand alternative land, bunkers

Displaced by heavy firing along LoC, these Uri residents share space in a school building. Photo/Kashmir Images

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp
Displaced by heavy firing along LoC, these Uri residents share space in a school building. Photo/Kashmir Images

Uri, Feb 25: With constant fear of cross-border haunting them, displaced villagers living in schools-turned-into-camps at Uri are scared of returning to their homes.

They demand immediate sanction of the “promised” piece of land in safer zones for their settlement and construction of bunkers for safety.

More News

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Load More

The demands were made by displaced families putting up at makeshift camp inside the Government Higher Secondary School Uri, set up by the State government here for border dwellers who have been bearing the brunt of heavy cross-LoC shelling for the past few days.

Minister for Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Abdul Haq Khan together with NC leader Dr. Sajad Shafi Uri , DC Baramulla and SSP Baramulla visited the makeshift camps today to assess the situation of residents.

“What we are getting is only hollow promises and unabated firing and shelling from last many years. The government needs to act and provide us the promised five ‘marlas’ of land away from the firing zone for our safety,” said Lal Din, Sarpnach of Churanda village.

“How long have we to bear this burnt? Both India and Pakistan need to settle the issue once for all. Our life has become hell,” he added.

“You can’t imagine how we saved ourselves. We are living a life of uncertainty with no future. During firing, we are even unable to help our children to move to safety,” Muzzafar Ahmed of Sailikote said.

They said they had been promised five marlas plots (1361.25 sq ft) during previous election campaign.

However, last year, the government informed the Legislative Assembly that it had decided to construct bunkers in border districts instead of allotting five marlas of land to each family as shifting of population to another place would not be in the interest of the state or the nation.

“Our first and foremost demand is that government should set up individual bunkers in each of the border house if we have to live again along the LoC. This is the demand of the LoC people,” said Irshad Ahmed of Balkote Uri. “We need bunkers more than food!”

Sarpanch of Churanda said, “If all the residents get individual bunkers at their homes, no one will leave the LoC hamlets no matter how worse Pakistan may shell us.”

He demanded that a chunk of land should be provided to the LoC dwellers to build safe places.

Previous Post

Pakistan has been given befitting reply: Army

Next Post

CM orders probe into KVIB selection process

Reyaz Rashid

Reyaz Rashid

Related Posts

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha completed his self-enumeration today, marking the beginning of the House listing and Housing Census...

Read moreDetails

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Infiltrating Jammu and Kashmir to execute terror attacks for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a Pakistani terrorist paused his operations...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Union Minister Jitendra Singh on Sunday said the mainstreaming of Jammu and Kashmir under the leadership of Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

DFCO issues advisory ahead of nationwide chemists’ bandh on May 20

Tral shuts for second day against militant killings
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Drugs and Food Control Organization on Sunday issued a public advisory ahead of the nationwide bandh call given by...

Read moreDetails

Govt withholds salaries of four ACDs over poor MGNREGA performance

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has withheld the salaries of four Additional District Programme Coordinators (ADPCs)/Assistant Commissioners Development (ACDs)...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
JK govt calls for resumption of Indo-Pak peace process  

CM orders probe into KVIB selection process

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.