• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

Rights groups say migrant workers dying on Saudi job sites as kingdom prepares for World Cup

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
May 14, 2025
in BUSINESS
A A
0
Rights groups say migrant workers dying on Saudi job sites as kingdom prepares for World Cup
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Dubai: Scores of labourers from countries including India, Bangladesh and Nepal have faced preventable deaths from electrocution, road accidents, falling from heights, and more while working in Saudi Arabia, according to a report Wednesday by the advocacy group Human Rights Watch.

Human Rights Watch and another rights group, FairSquare, released separate investigations Wednesday detailing preventable deaths of migrant workers from job-site accidents and work-related illnesses.

More News

India, Nordic nations agree to elevate ties to Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership

Chouhan says fertilisers not easily available in international market, pushes for organic farming

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

Load More

The reports accuse Saudi authorities of often misreporting such deaths and failing to investigate, preventing families from receiving compensation from the kingdom that they are entitled to and knowing how their loved ones died.

As Saudi Arabia pushes ahead with hundreds of billions of dollars in infrastructure and development initiatives — including the 2034 men’s soccer World Cup and the futuristic city Neom — rights groups warn of thousands more avoidable deaths in the coming years.

In one case, Human Rights Watch said a Bangladeshi worker was electrocuted on the job. But his employer allegedly withheld the body, telling the family they would be compensated only if they agreed to a local burial.

Another family reported waiting nearly 15 years before they were compensated by the Saudi government.

“It’s very urgent that the Saudi authorities and FIFA put in place basic labour rights protections,” Minky Worden, Human Rights Watch’s director of global initiatives, told The Associated Press, referring to soccer’s world governing body.

Authorities in Saudi Arabia did not respond to a request for comment.

FairSquare, which looked into the deaths of 17 Nepali contractors in Saudi Arabia over the last 18 months, warned in its report that without accountability, “thousands of unexplained deaths” of low-paid foreign workers are likely to follow.

“In some cases, you have families being pursued by money lenders for the loans that their (dead) husband or father took out in order to migrate to the Gulf,” said James Lynch, who co-directs FairSquare.

Saudi Arabia has long faced allegations of labour abuses and wage theft tied to its Vision 2030 project, a big-money effort to diversify its economy beyond dependence on oil.

FIFA shared with the AP a letter it sent Human Rights Watch last month defending the selection of Saudi Arabia as host of the 2034 World Cup.

The letter cited the Saudis’ commitments to establishing “a workers’ welfare system” and enhancing “country-wide labour protections including through a strengthened collaboration” with the United Nations’ International Labour Organisation.

The kingdom is not the only Gulf Arab state to be accused of abusing migrant labourers in the run-up to a World Cup. Rights groups also criticised Qatar, which hosted the competition in 2022, saying they tallied thousands of unexplained worker deaths.

But this time has the potential to be even worse for foreign workers, Worden said, noting that the 2034 World Cup has plans to require more stadiums and infrastructure with more teams competing.

Qatar established an oversight board called the Supreme Committee, which monitored FIFA construction sites and took reports of unsafe work conditions.

“There’s no such committee like that in Saudi Arabia,” Worden said, adding, “In the end, Qatar did have concrete policies like life insurance and heat protection. Those aren’t in place now” in Saudi Arabia.

The details of the investigations from Human Rights Watch and FairSquare come a day after FIFA President Gianni Infantino joined US President Donald Trump on his official visit to Saudi Arabia, where Trump met with Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Previous Post

China’s Global Times, Xinhua X-account handles blocked in India

Next Post

Cabinet approves Rs 3,706 crore HCL-Foxconn display chip plant to be set up in UP

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

India, Nordic nations agree to elevate ties to Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership

India, Nordic nations agree to elevate ties to Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership
May 20, 2026

Oslo: India and the Nordic countries on Tuesday decided to elevate their relationship to a Green Technology and Innovation Strategic...

Read moreDetails

Chouhan says fertilisers not easily available in international market, pushes for organic farming

Centre to set up Clean Plant facility to provide disease-resistant plants to horticulturists in Kashmir
May 20, 2026

Bhubaneswar:  Union Agriculture Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Tuesday acknowledged challenges in procuring fertilisers from the international market, urging states...

Read moreDetails

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

RBI holds meeting of Steering Sub Committee of J&K SLBC
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The Reserve Bank on Monday discontinued the requirement for commercial banks to maintain Investment Fluctuation Reserve (IFR), an additional...

Read moreDetails

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

Iran Crisis: No immediate oil disruption for India; Russia pivot possible if conflict drags on
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: India has been purchasing Russian oil irrespective of US sanctions waivers and will continue to do so based...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Nation responds to PM’s call for fuel conservation
May 18, 2026

Gothenburg (Sweden): Prime Minister Narendra Modi landed in Sweden on Sunday, where he will hold talks on trade, technology, defence...

Read moreDetails

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub
May 18, 2026

New Delhi:  ICEYE, a global leader in space-based intelligence, is set to establish its first Indian production facility within the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Govt bringing laws, taking steps to make social media platforms accountable: IT Min

Cabinet approves Rs 3,706 crore HCL-Foxconn display chip plant to be set up in UP

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.