• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

17 dead, several missing as stone quarry collapses in Mizoram amid rain

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 28, 2024
in BUSINESS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Aizawl: At least 17 people, including two minors, were killed and six-seven others were missing as a stone quarry collapsed in Mizoram’s Aizawl district on Tuesday morning amid incessant rain in the aftermath of cyclone Remal, officials said.

Several other people also went missing in landslides elsewhere in the state capital which was cut off from the rest of the country.

More News

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Load More

The incident happened around 6 am in an area between Melthum and Hlimen on the southern outskirts of Aizawl town.

“We have recovered 17 bodies so far and the rescue operations are going on. We suspect that 6-7 more people are still trapped under the rubble,” Mizoram Director General of Police Anil Shukla told PTI.

He said that heavy rain was affecting rescue operations at the disaster site.

The rain triggered landslides at several other places in the state and at least two persons have been “swept away”, Shukla said.

Aizawl’s Deputy Commissioner Nazuk Kumar said that the search operations will continue till the entire site is cleared.

A four-year-old boy and a six-year-old girl are among the victims of the stone quarry collapse, another police officer said.

“We have also rescued two persons alive from the site,” he said.

A landslide swept away a building in Aizawl’s Salem Veng, following which three persons went missing. Search is underway for them, an official said.

The state capital has been cut off from the rest of the country due to a landslide on National Highway 6 at Hunthar, officials said.

Besides, several intra-state highways have also been disrupted by landslides, they said.

Chief Minister Lalduhoma convened an emergency meeting with Home Minister K Sapdanga, Chief Secretary Renu Sharma and other senior officials to take stock of the situation, a senior official said.

The CM announced Rs 4 lakh ex-gratia for the families of those killed in calamities caused by rains, including the quarry collapse.

He handed over cheques of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the eight Mizo people who died in the quarry collapse and said the remaining amount would be given to them soon.

Home Minister K Sapdanga told PTI, “The identity of the four non-tribal people is being verified. If they are permanent residents of Mizoram, they will be given the ex-gratia amount. If they came here temporarily to work, their families will not get any financial support.”

Lalduhoma said the government has earmarked Rs 15 crore to tackle disasters triggered by rains, which occurred as an aftereffect of cyclone Remal.

Later, Lalduhoma along with Sapdanga, who also handles the Disaster Management and Rehabilitation Department, visited the stone quarry site to take stock of the situation and oversee the rescue operations.

Because of the rains, all schools were closed and government employees, except those involved in providing essential services, were asked to work from home.

Meanwhile, more than 30 families were shifted to safer places due to unprecedented flooding of the Tlawng river at Sairang village, about 21 km from Aizawl, a senior official said.

“Several farms on the bank of the river have been submerged by the water. The water level is continuing to rise. However, no casualty has been reported,” he added.

In Aizawl town, some cemeteries have also been swept away by landslides, and over 150 graves damaged.

 

Previous Post

Cartoon

Next Post

More cyber fraud cases getting detected in India due to enhanced vigil, says Amit Shah

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

RBI holds meeting of Steering Sub Committee of J&K SLBC
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The Reserve Bank on Monday discontinued the requirement for commercial banks to maintain Investment Fluctuation Reserve (IFR), an additional...

Read moreDetails

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

Iran Crisis: No immediate oil disruption for India; Russia pivot possible if conflict drags on
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: India has been purchasing Russian oil irrespective of US sanctions waivers and will continue to do so based...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Nation responds to PM’s call for fuel conservation
May 18, 2026

Gothenburg (Sweden): Prime Minister Narendra Modi landed in Sweden on Sunday, where he will hold talks on trade, technology, defence...

Read moreDetails

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub
May 18, 2026

New Delhi:  ICEYE, a global leader in space-based intelligence, is set to establish its first Indian production facility within the...

Read moreDetails

Govt imposes import curbs on silver

Govt imposes import curbs on silver
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: Within days of levying high customs duties on precious metals, the government on Saturday imposed import curbs on...

Read moreDetails

NCB seizes first-ever consignment of Captagon drug worth Rs 182 crore

NCB seizes first-ever consignment of Captagon drug worth Rs 182 crore
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Narcotics Control Bureau has busted an international drug syndicate involved in the trafficking of Captagon and seized...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Centre will consider revoking AFSPA, pulling back troops from Jammu and Kashmir: Amit Shah

More cyber fraud cases getting detected in India due to enhanced vigil, says Amit Shah

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.