• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, August 3, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

17 dead, several missing as stone quarry collapses in Mizoram amid rain

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 28, 2024
in BUSINESS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Aizawl: At least 17 people, including two minors, were killed and six-seven others were missing as a stone quarry collapsed in Mizoram’s Aizawl district on Tuesday morning amid incessant rain in the aftermath of cyclone Remal, officials said.

Several other people also went missing in landslides elsewhere in the state capital which was cut off from the rest of the country.

More News

India approves just 1 Chinese FDI proposal worth Rs 1 cr, 13 Hong Kong proposals worth Rs 610.42 cr

Petrol, diesel sales soar on weak monsoon rains, LPG demand shifts to piped gas

PM Modi inaugurates Bhogapuram Airport, says Andhra poised to become manufacturing hub

Load More

The incident happened around 6 am in an area between Melthum and Hlimen on the southern outskirts of Aizawl town.

“We have recovered 17 bodies so far and the rescue operations are going on. We suspect that 6-7 more people are still trapped under the rubble,” Mizoram Director General of Police Anil Shukla told PTI.

He said that heavy rain was affecting rescue operations at the disaster site.

The rain triggered landslides at several other places in the state and at least two persons have been “swept away”, Shukla said.

Aizawl’s Deputy Commissioner Nazuk Kumar said that the search operations will continue till the entire site is cleared.

A four-year-old boy and a six-year-old girl are among the victims of the stone quarry collapse, another police officer said.

“We have also rescued two persons alive from the site,” he said.

A landslide swept away a building in Aizawl’s Salem Veng, following which three persons went missing. Search is underway for them, an official said.

The state capital has been cut off from the rest of the country due to a landslide on National Highway 6 at Hunthar, officials said.

Besides, several intra-state highways have also been disrupted by landslides, they said.

Chief Minister Lalduhoma convened an emergency meeting with Home Minister K Sapdanga, Chief Secretary Renu Sharma and other senior officials to take stock of the situation, a senior official said.

The CM announced Rs 4 lakh ex-gratia for the families of those killed in calamities caused by rains, including the quarry collapse.

He handed over cheques of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the eight Mizo people who died in the quarry collapse and said the remaining amount would be given to them soon.

Home Minister K Sapdanga told PTI, “The identity of the four non-tribal people is being verified. If they are permanent residents of Mizoram, they will be given the ex-gratia amount. If they came here temporarily to work, their families will not get any financial support.”

Lalduhoma said the government has earmarked Rs 15 crore to tackle disasters triggered by rains, which occurred as an aftereffect of cyclone Remal.

Later, Lalduhoma along with Sapdanga, who also handles the Disaster Management and Rehabilitation Department, visited the stone quarry site to take stock of the situation and oversee the rescue operations.

Because of the rains, all schools were closed and government employees, except those involved in providing essential services, were asked to work from home.

Meanwhile, more than 30 families were shifted to safer places due to unprecedented flooding of the Tlawng river at Sairang village, about 21 km from Aizawl, a senior official said.

“Several farms on the bank of the river have been submerged by the water. The water level is continuing to rise. However, no casualty has been reported,” he added.

In Aizawl town, some cemeteries have also been swept away by landslides, and over 150 graves damaged.

 

Previous Post

Cartoon

Next Post

More cyber fraud cases getting detected in India due to enhanced vigil, says Amit Shah

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

India approves just 1 Chinese FDI proposal worth Rs 1 cr, 13 Hong Kong proposals worth Rs 610.42 cr

India top recipient of Commonwealth FDI: Report
August 2, 2026

  New Delhi:  India approved just one Chinese FDI proposal worth Rs 1 crore, while clearing 13 applications from Hong Kong...

Read moreDetails

Petrol, diesel sales soar on weak monsoon rains, LPG demand shifts to piped gas

Petrol price hit highest level under BJP govt, diesel at record high
August 2, 2026

New Delhi: Petrol and diesel sales by India's three state-run fuel retailers rose sharply in July as below-normal monsoon rainfall...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi inaugurates Bhogapuram Airport, says Andhra poised to become manufacturing hub

Nation responds to PM’s call for fuel conservation
August 1, 2026

Visakhapatnam: Highlighting the development potential of Andhra Pradesh, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday said global companies are exploring opportunities...

Read moreDetails

Commercial LPG prices cut by Rs 192, ATF rates up Rs 5/litre

Niti Aayog working on proposal ‘to replace LPG subsidy with cooking subsidy’
August 1, 2026

New Delhi: The prices of commercial LPG -- used in establishments such as hotels and restaurants -- were on Saturday...

Read moreDetails

Gross GST mop-up grows 15.4% to over Rs 2.11 lakh cr in July on higher imports, sales

August 1, 2026

New Delhi: Gross GST collections grew 15.4 per cent to over Rs 2.11 lakh crore in July on higher mop-up...

Read moreDetails

Cabinet approves extension of PM-KISAN scheme till FY’31 with outlay of Rs 3.15 lakh crore

Cabinet nod to expand infra, academic capacity of five IITs
August 1, 2026

New Delhi: The government on Friday extended the PM-KISAN scheme for the next five years till 2030-31 with a total...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Centre will consider revoking AFSPA, pulling back troops from Jammu and Kashmir: Amit Shah

More cyber fraud cases getting detected in India due to enhanced vigil, says Amit Shah

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.