• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home SPORTS

Nadal downplays chances of finishing as year-end No.1

Agencies by Agencies
May 5, 2018
in SPORTS
A A
0
Nadal downplays chances of finishing as year-end No.1
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

MADRID: Spain’s Rafael Nadal, the world’s top-ranked tennis player, has said that despite a torrid start to his clay-court campaign it was unlikely he would be able to overcome an injury hiatus earlier in the season and finish as tennis’ year-end No.1 for the fifth time.

Nadal, in an interview with Efe here on Thursday made the remarks ahead of the start of next week’s Madrid Open, where he will try to win a third straight clay court tournament in 2018.

More News

Indian-Australian athlete completes 5,000-km ‘One India Run’ in Srinagar

Tanvir Sadiq leads revival of iconic Shahr-e-Khaas heritage run in Srinagar

YSS adopts district-wise sports monitoring framework

Load More

“I’ve given away (due to injuries) three months of the year,” Nadal said, referring to his time away from the ATP World Tour from late January, when he retired in the fifth set of his quarter-final match against Croatia’s Marin Cilic at the Australian Open due to a hip injury, until the start of the Monte-Carlo Masters in mid-April.

“Not playing for three months and finishing No.1 in the world, I’d say it’s not impossible but it’s very unlikely,” the 16-time Grand Slam champion said at a Kia Motors event, reports Efe.

Nadal has a slim lead in the ATP rankings over arch-rival and world No.2 Roger Federer, although the 36-year-old Swiss great has opted to reduce wear-and-tear on his body by skipping the entire clay court season for the second straight year.

The 31-year-old Spaniard did not drop a set in winning two Davis Cup matches in early April and capturing titles at the Monte-Carlo Masters and the Barcelona Open — each for the 11th time — and now has an Open Era-record streak of 46 consecutive sets won on clay dating back to last year’s French Open.

“I’m happy about how things are going, especially after a difficult start to the season with injuries. Both in Davis Cup and in Monte-Carlo and Barcelona, things turned out as well as possible,” the Kia global ambassador said.

Although he acknowledged that his biggest short-term goal was to increase his record haul of French Open titles to 11, he said the Madrid Open — a key tune-up for Roland Garros, which starts later this month — was “one of the year’s most important tournaments.”

“Playing at home is special. My relationship with the crowd in Spain is very special. They totally support you and I’m very thankful for that,” the Iberian nation’s greatest-ever tennis star said.

Nadal also confirmed that health permitting he would be available for Spain’s away Davis Cup semi-final tie in September against France, saying he had given his word to captain Sergi Bruguera.

Previous Post

Special training under Skill Development Programme begins at DPL Srinagar

Next Post

Thunderstorm, lightning killed 124 in 2 days: MHA

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

Indian-Australian athlete completes 5,000-km ‘One India Run’ in Srinagar

Indian-Australian athlete completes 5,000-km ‘One India Run’ in Srinagar
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Indian-Australian endurance athlete Om Satija on Sunday completed his ambitious 5,000-kilometre “One India Run” campaign after reaching Srinagar, marking...

Read moreDetails

Tanvir Sadiq leads revival of iconic Shahr-e-Khaas heritage run in Srinagar

Tanvir Sadiq leads revival of iconic Shahr-e-Khaas heritage run in Srinagar
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Downtown Srinagar on Sunday witnessed the return of the iconic Khyber Run for Shahr-e-Khaas after a gap of nearly...

Read moreDetails

YSS adopts district-wise sports monitoring framework

YSS adopts district-wise sports monitoring framework
May 17, 2026

Srinagar: The Department of Youth Services and Sports on Saturday reviewed sports infrastructure projects, youth engagement programmes and district action...

Read moreDetails

Omar congratulates Yasser on Asian boxing gold

Omar congratulates Yasser on Asian boxing gold
May 17, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday congratulated young Rajouri boxer Mohammad Yasser for winning a gold medal at the...

Read moreDetails

National Pencak Silat course begins in Srinagar

May 17, 2026

Srinagar: A National Referee and Jury Course organised by the Indian Pencak Silat Federation commenced on Saturday at the Sher-i-Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Sports Council expands KCFL trials across Kashmir

May 17, 2026

Srinagar, May 16: The Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council on Saturday continued its district-wide football talent hunt across the Valley...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Thunderstorm, lightning killed 124 in 2 days: MHA

Thunderstorm, lightning killed 124 in 2 days: MHA

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.