• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Pakistan ‘fully complied’ with ICJ judgement on Kulbhushan Jadhav: FO

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 10, 2020
in Latest News
A A
0
Pak to file counter rejoinder in Jadhav’s case by Jul 17: Report
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Islamabad: Pakistan said on Sunday that it has “fully complied” with the ICJ’s judgement in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case, days after India’s lead counsel asserted that New Delhi had hoped it might be able to persuade Islamabad through “back channel” to release the Indian death-row convict.
Jadhav, the 49-year-old retired Indian Navy officer, was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of “espionage and terrorism” in April 2017. Weeks later, India approached the International Court of Justice (ICJ) against Pakistan for denial of consular access to Jadhav and challenging the death sentence.
Senior advocate Harish Salve was the lead counsel for India in the Jadhav case at the Hague-based ICJ which ruled in July last year that Pakistan must undertake an “effective review and reconsideration” of the conviction and sentence of Jadhav and also to grant consular access to India without further delay.
“We were hoping that through back channel, we may be able to persuade Pakistan to let him go. If they want to say on humanitarian ground or whatever, we want him back. We said let him go. Because it has become a big ego problem in Pakistan. So, we were hoping that they will let him go. They haven’t,” Salve said on May 3 while speaking online from London.
“We have written four-five letters. They just keep on denying. I think we have reached a point where we have to now decide whether we want to go back to ICJ for consequential directions because Pakistan has not moved ahead,” he said.
Responding to Salve’s remarks, Pakistan’s Foreign Office Spokesperson Aisha Farooqui said Islamabad had noted the statements made by India’s legal counsel in the Jadhav case.
While suggesting that India may have to go back to ICJ, Salve has made certain statements which are contrary to the facts of the case, she said.
“We firmly reject the Indian Counsel’s baseless and inaccurate assertion that Pakistan has not complied with the ICJ’s judgment in the case. Pakistan has fully complied with the judgment and remains committed to continue doing so as the case proceeds further,” Farooqui said.
She said Pakistan granted India consular access to Jadhav and was processing measures for effective review and reconsideration as per the guidelines provided by the ICJ in its judgment.
Being a responsible state, Pakistan abides by all its international obligations, the Spokesperson said.
“It is regrettable that Mr Salve has chosen to make statements which are inaccurate and misrepresent facts,” she said.
In its 42-page order, the world court, while rejecting Pakistan’s objection to admissibility of the Indian application in the case, had held that “a continued stay of execution constitutes an indispensable condition for the effective review” of the sentence of Jadhav.
The bench, however, rejected some remedies sought by India, including annulment of the military court’s decision convicting Jadhav, his release and safe passage to India.
The ICJ upheld India’s stand that Pakistan had “breached” the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, which gives countries the right to consular access when their nationals are arrested abroad.
Pakistan claims that its security forces arrested Jadhav from the restive Balochistan province on March 3, 2016 after he reportedly entered from Iran.
However, India maintains that Jadhav was kidnapped from Iran where he had business interests after retiring from the Navy.

More News

Samba hottest in J&K as mercury soars to 45.7 deg C, unrelenting heatwave grips Jammu region

Labour Commissioner issues heat wave advisory for worker safety

Drug peddler’s illegal property demolished in Srinagar

Load More
Previous Post

Roll out of Integrated Battle Groups delayed due coronavirus pandemic: Army Chief

Next Post

Lockdown: PM to interact with CMs on Monday

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Samba hottest in J&K as mercury soars to 45.7 deg C, unrelenting heatwave grips Jammu region

Samba hottest in J&K as mercury soars to 45.7 deg C, unrelenting heatwave grips Jammu region
May 21, 2026

Jammu:  Heatwave conditions prevailed in Jammu region as several areas witnessed unusually high temperatures on Wednesday, with Samba emerging the...

Read moreDetails

Labour Commissioner issues heat wave advisory for worker safety

Jammu records hottest day, night temperatures
May 21, 2026

Jammu: The Labour Commissioner of Jammu and Kashmir has issued a detailed advisory for the protection of workers and labourers...

Read moreDetails

Drug peddler’s illegal property demolished in Srinagar

Three OGWs held in Pulwama: Police
May 21, 2026

Srinagar: An illegal property, worth Rs 1.5 crore, allegedly linked to a wanted drug peddler, was demolished in Srinagar on...

Read moreDetails

Ensure Aadhaar is used strictly as identity proof: Plea in SC

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
May 21, 2026

New Delhi: Alleging that Aadhaar is being used as a proof of citizenship, domicile, and residential address, a PIL has...

Read moreDetails

CUK announces austerity measures, online classes, WFH on Fridays

CUKashmir extends application deadline for faculty positions
May 20, 2026

Srinagar, May 20 : The Central University of Kashmir (CUK) has ordered a series of austerity measures, including online classes...

Read moreDetails

MeT predicts light rain, thunderstorms across J&K till May 21

Temperatures dip across Kashmir, many towns record coldest night in 16 years
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: The India Meteorological Department on Tuesday forecast light rain, thundershowers, gusty winds and possible hailstorms at scattered to many...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
COVID-19 lockdown: PM holds meeting with CMs; Delhi, Punjab suggest extension of nationwide lockdown till April 30

Lockdown: PM to interact with CMs on Monday

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.