• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 2, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Amid shutdown, protests in POJK continue unabated, over 20 dead

Images Monitoring Desk by Images Monitoring Desk
June 21, 2026
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Amid shutdown, protests in POJK continue unabated, over 20 dead
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: A territory-wide shutdown in Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (POJK) and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) for Pakistanis has brought daily life to a standstill after the region’s deadliest unrest in years left at least 24 people dead ‌in nearly two weeks of protests.

The confrontation between local authorities and supporters ​of the recently banned Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC), poses a sensitive ‌challenge for Islamabad. The unrest began ahead of a June 9 strike called ‌by the JAAC in protest against the reservation of 12 seats for refugees in the July 27 elections to the region’s 45-seat legislative assembly. The refugees live in Pakistan after being displaced from Indian-administered Kashmir.

More News

  Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers

CM announces Rs 10 lakh each for kin of victims

3 special trains ferry 2,200 stranded passengers

Load More

A nearly two-week standoff between protesters and police in POJK has left residents grappling with food shortages, while the death toll from clashes rose to 24, according to an AFP tally on Wednesday. The toll includes four law enforcement personnel. Police say 89 officers have been wounded during clashes.

Supporters of the JAAC, an anti-government movement demanding economic and governance reforms, have pressed ahead with protests despite the group being banned this month under anti-terrorism laws. Police said that 425 people linked to the JAAC have been arrested since the unrest began in early June.

Sardar Waheed, the top civilian official in the city of Rawalakot which has been a focal point of the unrest, said two more people had been killed during clashes in recent days.

Protests had already grown in the days before the shutdown, with government officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, saying at least 20 civilians were killed between June 6 and June 14 and dozens more wounded. Regional police chief Liaqat ​Ali Malik said four officers had been killed and 97 wounded in ‌clashes with protesters, while 515 people had been detained. Thousands of JAAC supporters are now camped out on the outskirts of Rawalakot, about 100km south of Muzaffarabad, the regional capital.

The government has responded by shutting main roads, blocking the internet and restricting media access to much of Kashmir.

In the regional capital Muzaffarabad, streets were quiet and residents complained of difficulty accessing crucial supplies.

“I have been searching for medicine everywhere, but I cannot find it. Even big stores are closed,” 64-year-old Muzaffarabad resident Muhammad Masqeen told AFP. For shops that were open, supply disruptions were limiting stock.

“For eight days, we have been going through very difficult times. Markets are closed, and there is very little to eat except vegetables,” said Sabar Hussain, 60. Authorities said they had ordered shops to open, and local government spokesman Shoaib Javed Mir said officials were working to prevent any shortages of essential supplies.

In Muzaffarabad’s Upper Adda commercial district, menial labourers sit ​idle beneath ‌a red-brick monument, waiting for work that has not come. “Since June 9, I ‌have not earned a single rupee,” said day labourer Ikhlaq Ahmed, 27, from a remote village.

The usually busy Upper Adda, once filled with grocers by day and food stalls by ‌night, is mostly ‌silent.

Medical stores and some grocers have begun opening for limited hours, and fruit and vegetable sellers have cautiously returned, ‌but other businesses remain closed. Bank notices blame the government’s suspension of internet and satellite services for the closure of ATMs and banking operations, while petrol stations are also shut due to an official order.

For workers like ​motorcycle taxi driver Asif Naz, the crisis is unbearable. “Those with resources may sustain it,” he said, “but for blue-collar workers like us, it is self-slaughter.”

To review in detail political and administrative situation in POJK, former PM and Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PMLN) President Nawaz Sharif chaired a high-level meeting in Lahore.

Appealing to the people of Jammu and Kashmir, he urged Kashmiris to maintain their ideological and emotional bond with Pakistan, remain peaceful, end protest sit-ins and engage in meaningful dialogue.

Sharif also expressed grief over the recent loss of lives in AJK, saying he was deeply saddened and shocked by the deaths of both government personnel and civilians. He said such a situation should not have arisen and stressed the need for national unity and brotherhood. “This country belongs to all of us, and we all have to live in it like brothers,” he said.

Previous Post

Retired police official among three booked for fraud

Next Post

Woman discharged from hospital delivers baby on roadside; inquiry ordered

Images Monitoring Desk

Images Monitoring Desk

Related Posts

  Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers

   Kulgam: Second migrant worker succumbs; death toll 2; search on for attackers
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Security forces on Saturday intensified search operations to track down the assailants who killed two migrant labourers in Kulgam...

Read moreDetails

CM announces Rs 10 lakh each for kin of victims

CM calls for depiction of cultural identity in new infrastructure at JK House properties across India
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday announced an ex-gratia relief of Rs 10 lakh each for the kin of...

Read moreDetails

3 special trains ferry 2,200 stranded passengers

Locomotive of Jammu-bound train detaches from coaches in Punjab
August 2, 2026

Jammu: The Northern Railway operated three special trains in J&K on Saturday and successfully transported around 2,200 passengers stranded due...

Read moreDetails

Condemning Kulgam terror attack, Farooq Abdullah questions timing of attack; seeks probe

Farooq Abdullah questions Centre’s silence on situation in PoJK
August 2, 2026

Jammu/Srinagar: National Conference president Farooq Abdullah on Saturday condemned the Kulgam terror attack that left two migrant workers dead but...

Read moreDetails

LG hands over job letters to kin of two slain policemen

LG hands over job letters to kin of two slain policemen
August 2, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Saturday handed over appointment letters on compassionate grounds to the son of a head...

Read moreDetails

No society prospers on govt jobs alone: CM

Following KI report on Srinagar Smart City fiasco, CM announces inquiry
August 2, 2026

Bengaluru:  Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said no society had ever become prosperous solely through government employment or public...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
CDRC asks JK Bank chairman to hold inquiry

Woman discharged from hospital delivers baby on roadside; inquiry ordered

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.