• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Mamata says will move court on Jan 6 against ‘arbitrary’ SIR, human sufferings

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
January 5, 2026
in NATION
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said she would move court against the EC’s SIR of electoral rolls, alleging that fear, harassment and administrative arbitrariness linked to the exercise had led to deaths and hospitalisations, as she sharpened her confrontation with the poll body ahead of the state assembly polls.

Addressing a massive public gathering at Sagar Island in South 24 Parganas district, Banerjee alleged that technology was being “weaponised” to disenfranchise voters ahead of the 2026 Assembly polls, claiming that artificial intelligence and informal digital platforms were being used to arbitrarily delete names from electoral rolls, undermining democratic safeguards.

More News

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

13 dead, 20 injured in Palghar tempo-trailer accident

Load More

“We are moving court tomorrow against the inhumane treatment and the death of so many people due to the SIR,” she said, adding that she was prepared to escalate the legal battle if required. She, however, did not clarify whether the petition would be filed by her personally, the state government or her party, the TMC.

Banerjee said she would seek permission to appear before the Supreme Court not as a lawyer but as an ordinary citizen. “If necessary, I will go to the Supreme Court and plead for the people. I will speak for the people,” she said, recalling that she is legally trained.

Alleging a “technological conspiracy” behind the SIR, the TMC supremo claimed that opaque digital processes had replaced due mechanism. “Artificial Intelligence has emerged now. Using images and voices, lies can be spread. Names are being removed using AI,” she said.

“AI is deciding whose surname has changed, who got married, which girl has gone to her in-laws’ house. Even a murderer gets a chance to defend himself. Here, people’s names are being removed,” Banerjee said, alleging that 5.4 million names had been dropped without adequate opportunity to respond through statutory forms.

In a sharp swipe, she alleged that the poll body was being “run on WhatsApp”, warning that erosion of voting rights would have political consequences.

“If people’s rights are taken away, you too will vanish, you Vanish Kumar,” she said while referring to Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar, urging citizens to check their names on the draft rolls despite the hardship. “This is a struggle for survival and to protect rights,” she added.

The escalation comes a day after Banerjee wrote to the CEC, urging an immediate halt to what she termed an “arbitrary and flawed” SIR, warning that its continuation could trigger “mass disenfranchisement” and “strike at the foundations of democracy”.

In the letter, she accused the commission of an “unplanned, ill-prepared and ad hoc” exercise marked by “serious irregularities, procedural violations and administrative lapses”, later describing the process as having been reduced to a “farce”.

On the ground, Banerjee said, the hearings had extracted a human cost.

She alleged that people with plastered legs, those recently discharged from hospitals and the elderly were being compelled to attend hearings.

“In two months, nearly 70 people have died. Does no heart ache? If your 85-year-old mother were dragged into an ambulance, what answer would Delhi’s leaders give?” she asked, questioning whether those ordering deletions had their own parents’ certificates.

She questioned the haste of the exercise, arguing that voter list corrections should be spread over two years rather than forced through in months. “We want names to be included, not excluded. Why this coercion?” she said.

Framing the issue in a wider political and cultural context, Banerjee alleged intimidation of Bengali-speaking migrants in BJP-ruled states and challenged what she described as majoritarian politics.

“I dare them to kill me, but I will not stop speaking my mother tongue, Bengali. Is it a crime now?” she asked.

She also accused the BJP of keeping a pattern of pre-election inducements followed by repression. “They will give Rs 10,000 before elections and use the bulldozer once it’s over,” she said. “You can torture as much as you want, it won’t yield results.”

The Election Commission and the BJP have rejected allegations of arbitrariness, maintaining that the SIR is a routine exercise aimed at ensuring clean and accurate electoral rolls.

Previous Post

Nehru, Left historians distorted history by portraying Ghazni as ‘mere plunderer’: BJP

Next Post

Forced hugs, social media posts hailing Trump have done very little good: Cong’s dig at govt

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 19, 2026

Oslo:  India and Norway have firmed up a Green Strategic Partnership, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Norwegian counterpart...

Read moreDetails

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 18, 2026

Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh):  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday asserted that India is now "by and large" free from three...

Read moreDetails

13 dead, 20 injured in Palghar tempo-trailer accident

   Two killings/deaths in J&K, people want answers
May 18, 2026

Palghar: A tempo packed with guests heading for an engagement ceremony collided with a speeding container trailer on Monday on...

Read moreDetails

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
PM leaving no stone unturned to save ‘flailing image’: Cong slams UGC’s ‘selfie points’ directive

Forced hugs, social media posts hailing Trump have done very little good: Cong's dig at govt

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.