• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Court acquits three accused tried for ‘terror’ activities

Images News Netwok by Images News Netwok
January 1, 2026
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case

Representational Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: A sessions court here has acquitted three people accused of involvement in terror activities for lack of evidence.

The special NIA court acquitted three men on the grounds that the prosecution had failed to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt, while the case was also riddled with “material discrepancies”.

More News

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…

Load More

The Court of Additional Sessions Judge, Manjeet Rai, acquitted Wajid Ahmad Bhat, Masrat Bilal Bhuru and Rameez Ahmad Dar, all residents of Kulgam district, and directed their release forthwith if not required in any other case.

According to police, the trio was arrested on October 10, 2022, from a Naka near Batamaloo here. It claimed that “grenades and magazines with live rounds were recovered from them” and the trio was booked under the UAPA and Arms Act.

After hearing the case, the court said it was settled that in a criminal trial, the prosecution must prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt and that suspicion, however strong, cannot take the place of proof in a criminal trial.

“The present case is marked by material discrepancies about how the accused came to be apprehended and what exactly was recovered from whom,” the court observed.

It held that in the absence of independent witnesses, the “place of occurrence” is a busy public area with regular traffic and surrounding shops, facts conceded by three prosecution witnesses.

“Yet, no shopkeeper, commuter, passer-by or CRPF personnel from the nearby bunker has been examined, nor even cited as a witness,” it added.

The explanation that people fled on seeing grenades, it said “the story was found to be inconsistent across witnesses and appeared more an afterthought than a consistent circumstance”.

It held that in a case under the UAPA and Arms Act where the prosecution story hinges on recovery, the non-joining of independent witnesses, when clearly possible, weighed against the prosecution.

The court noted that there were serious lapses in handling the case property, including failure to record identifying marks or numbers, preserve seal impressions, or maintain proper Malkhana records.

It found contradictory versions on whether the grenades were sealed when presented to the bomb disposal squad, coupled with the absence of seal descriptions.

The presiding officer recorded, “This contradiction prevents this court from safely concluding that the grenades examined by the BD Squad are the same as those allegedly recovered from the accused at the Naka. Once the identity of the case property is not firmly established, expert opinion loses probative value”.

The judge found inconsistencies “on how the accused were apprehended, whether they tried to flee, were standing and called for search on suspicion, or had already been apprehended when another officer arrived”.

Even the direction from which they came varied between Batamaloo Chowk and Rekh/Rekha Chowk, it said.

“While each discrepancy might be minor alone, cumulatively they cast doubt on the prosecution’s version,” the court said.

About UAPA charges, the court said that mere allegations were insufficient without proof of specific intention or nexus with terrorist activity.

The only material relied upon were alleged disclosure statements claiming association with banned outfit Al-Badr and transport of arms between Kulgam and Qamarwari.

However, the court said, no recoveries followed, no suspect at Qamarwari was identified or arrested, and no call detail records, technical evidence, communication data, financial trail or other corroboration was produced.

The prosecution failed to establish conscious and unauthorised possession of the alleged arms on October 10, 2022, the court said, adding that the charge under Sections 7/25 of the Arms Act was not proved and extended the benefit of doubt to the accused.

It acquitted the trio and ordered their release if not required in any other case.

Previous Post

Three persons convicted under UAPA in Pulwama

Next Post

J&K Bank to provide homestay loans up to ₹30 Lakh at 8.20% interest

Images News Netwok

Images News Netwok

Related Posts

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Tuesday issued a stern warning to the narco-terror ecosystem, saying narco-terrorists and drug-peddlers can...

Read moreDetails

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha today attended the “Lal Ded National Award Ceremony” organised by Sarhad, Pune, at Srinagar. Speaking...

Read moreDetails

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…
May 20, 2026

Jammu: Police and Forest Department teams on Tuesday demolished over 30 structures and retrieved nearly 60 kanals of forest land...

Read moreDetails

Sajad Lone, Altaf Bukhari condemn demolition

Sajad Lone, Altaf Bukhari condemn demolition
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Conference President and MLA Handwara, Sajad Lone and Apni Party President, Syed Altaf Bukhari have...

Read moreDetails

Petrol, diesel prices raised by 90 paise a litre, second hike under a week

Petrol, diesel prices cut by 9 paise each
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Petrol and diesel prices were raised by about 90 paise per litre on Tuesday - the second increase...

Read moreDetails

High Court quashes FIR against former Ranji cricketer

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of J&K and Ladakh High on Tuesday quashed an FIR registered against former Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
J&K Bank Promotes 694 employees across scales

J&K Bank to provide homestay loans up to ₹30 Lakh at 8.20% interest

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.