• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, August 3, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Pahalgam attack completely derailed Kashmir tourism in 2025

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
December 29, 2025
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Govt made efforts to minimise dent, recover footfall

New Delhi: The Pahalgam attack in Kashmir on April 22 cast a grim shadow on tourism in the Valley and impacted the sector at large.

More News

India’s greatest strength lies in its young population: LG

Labourers’ killers’ names must be revealed: Farooq Abdullah

Sharda to Sansad: LG urges scholars, teachers, artists to invest in preserving India’s civilizational heritage

Load More

The attack in Baisaran meadows, a prime tourist location, in its immediate aftermath, had dealt a big blow to the tourism and hospitality sector in the Union territory, and hit the psyche of many potential tourists, domestic and foreign, who were planning to visit Kashmir — a popular destination.

Over a month after the terror attack in which 26 people, mostly tourists, were killed, tourism in Kashmir did begin its long journey towards normalcy, but hesitation remained in the minds of travellers.

In early June, however, tourists, though in smaller numbers, had started returning to the Valley, infusing hopes of a gradual turnaround in the sector, and in the following months since then, arrivals gradually grew.

Groups of tourists, especially from states like Maharashtra and Gujarat, were reaching the famous tourist resorts of Gulmarg and Pahalgam.

In October, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had said that his government’s efforts to bring back tourists to the Union territory can work only after the tourist spots closed in the wake of the Pahalgam attack were reopened.

“First, we have to reopen those places which have been shut. We did not shut these places in 35 years. When the militancy was at its peak, Drang or Doodhpathri were not closed, the upper areas of Gulmarg were not shut, Aru valley was not closed,” he said.

Abdullah said some courage was needed to be shown and open tourist spots and promote them effectively.

While the sector at large showed further recovery from its impact, the Ministry of Tourism hosted a range of events in the past several months, at several places in the country, ranging from International Tourism Mart (ITM) for the North Eastern Region in Gangtok to a special culinary event held during the fourth edition of World Food India in Delhi.

The 13th edition of the ITM for the North Eastern Region was inaugurated by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu.

This was the second time Sikkim hosted the mega event since its inception in 2013.

“The Northeast is very rich in nature and cultural diversity,” he had said.

Khandu said the ministry is now focusing on the potential of the Northeast.

“I see that local economies in the Northeast are flourishing day by day as per their carrying capacities, and if we compare only 10 years earlier, our region did not have this luxury,” he had said.

The ministry organised ‘World Food India – Reviving the Culinary Treasures of India’ from September 25-28 at Bharat Mandapam.

The event showcased India’s rich culinary heritage and positioned Indian cuisine on the global stage.

The initiative focussed on reviving forgotten food traditions, highlighting ancient cooking techniques, and exploring the export potential of indigenous ingredients.

As the year draws to a close, starting 2026, the government plans to establish autonomous “city-level convention promotion bureaus” in partnership with other stakeholders in the tourism sectors to elevate several Indian cities into globally competitive ‘MICE’ destinations.

‘MICE’ (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) tourism refers to tourism-related activities linked with business meetings, conventions and exhibitions.

While an official roadmap is yet to be drawn, the initial plan is to open such centres on a public-private-partnership (PPP) mode in state capitals and one other city in a state, a senior official told PTI.

The idea is to bolster capacities and capabilities of smaller cities too to host big, international events, as well as decentralise the coordination work, he said.

The announcement that the ministry has planned to set up city-level convention promotion bureaus as independent bodies, was made by a top official of the ministry on December 19.

The move seeks to “significantly boost India’s Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions (MICE) tourism ecosystem.”

However, 2025 was a year not many tourists, especially those who were in Kashmir when the Pahalgam attack took place, would like to look back on.

On that fateful day of April 22, besides those killed, several others were injured, and the terror strike had triggered an exodus of sorts from the site and the Valley, as fear replaced leisure in the minds of tourists there.

The very next day, Union Tourism Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, in New Delhi, had said some people with nefarious intentions had tried to again “incite separatism and terrorism” in the Valley and asserted that his ministry would do the best to “minimise the dent” on tourism in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of the Pahalgam attack.

Interacting with reporters on the sidelines of the 38th meeting of the Central Advisory Board of Archaeology (CABA) here, he had also said that he and his office were in “continuous touch” with the chief secretary and the tourism secretary of the Union territory and keeping an eye on the situation.

Before the commencement of the meeting, chaired by the minister, a minute of silence was observed by the attendees.

“The entire country is pained, and also filled with a sense of anger,” Shekhawat had said in his opening remarks at the meeting held at the Bharat Mandapam here.

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in its newsletter – ‘Human Rights’ – in June, had said that the barbaric Pahalgam attack stands as yet another grim reminder of how terrorism continues to “stain humanity”.

Previous Post

Rajouri education authority recommends lecturer’s suspension over prayer platform in school

Next Post

Comprehensive New Year security plan in place at Vaishno Devi Shrine: IGP Jammu

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

India’s greatest strength lies in its young population: LG

India’s greatest strength lies in its young population: LG
August 3, 2026

Srinagar: India's greatest strength lies in its young population, with nearly 65 percent of the population below the age of...

Read moreDetails

Labourers’ killers’ names must be revealed: Farooq Abdullah

Farooq Abdullah questions Centre’s silence on situation in PoJK
August 3, 2026

Anantnag: National Conference president Farooq Abdullah on Sunday demanded that the identity of the killers of two migrant labourers in...

Read moreDetails

Sharda to Sansad: LG urges scholars, teachers, artists to invest in preserving India’s civilizational heritage

Sharda to Sansad: LG urges scholars, teachers, artists to invest in preserving India’s civilizational heritage
August 3, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha Sunday highlighted how literature and scholarship illuminate the human spirit and connect different eras. Addressing...

Read moreDetails

J&K Govt approves ₹19.61 cr sewerage project for Ahmed Nagar, Pandach, adjoining areas

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
August 3, 2026

Srinagar: In a significant step towards strengthening urban infrastructure and improving public sanitation, the Government of Jammu & Kashmir has...

Read moreDetails

Jammu Railway Division earns nearly Rs 78 lakh in fines for ticketless travel in July

Locomotive of Jammu-bound train detaches from coaches in Punjab
August 3, 2026

Jammu:  The Jammu Division of Northern Railway generated about Rs 78 lakh in revenue by penalising more than 10,000 ticketless...

Read moreDetails

Land subsidence hits remote village in Poonch; several structures damaged

Land subsidence hits remote village in Poonch; several structures damaged
August 3, 2026

MENDHAR/JAMMU: At least two houses and a school building were completely damaged, and more than six other houses developed cracks...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Bhim Sen Tuti takes over as IGP Jammu Zone

Comprehensive New Year security plan in place at Vaishno Devi Shrine: IGP Jammu

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.