• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, May 22, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

‘Doubly disappointing’: Congress on SC recalling its verdict barring post-facto green clearances

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
November 18, 2025
in NATION
A A
0
PM leaving no stone unturned to save ‘flailing image’: Cong slams UGC’s ‘selfie points’ directive

File Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi:  The Congress on Tuesday termed as “doubly disappointing” the Supreme Court recalling its judgement that prohibited post-facto environmental clearances to projects, and said retrospective approvals with penalties howsoever heavy is no solution as it only regularises the by-passing of laws.

The Supreme Court, by a 2:1 majority, on Tuesday recalled its May 16 judgement that had prohibited the Centre from granting retrospective environmental clearances (ECs) to projects found violating environmental norms.

More News

Cong’s patronage to infiltrators is ‘gaddari’: Piyush Goyal hits back at Rahul’s ‘traitors’ remark

India abstains on UNGA resolution on ICJ climate opinion

India-Africa Forum summit postponed

Load More

A bench comprising Chief Justice B R Gavai and justices Ujjal Bhuyan and K Vinod Chandran delivered three separate verdicts on a batch of nearly 40 review and modification pleas filed against the Vanshakti judgement.

Reacting to the development, Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh said it is most disappointing that the outgoing Chief Justice of India has opened a door for a review of the May 16 judgement of the two-judge bench of the Supreme Court that had barred retrospective environmental approvals.

“Retrospective environmental clearances are sought deliberately by companies who are well aware of the laws but still violate them knowingly with a ‘baadme dekha jayega’ attitude. There are numerous examples of this approach, the former environment minister said.

Retrospective approvals are bad in law and make a mockery of governance, he said.

“This decision of the Chief Justice is doubly disappointing since just yesterday he had directed the Uttarakhand government to restore and repair ecological damage at the Corbett Tiger Reserve caused by illegal tree felling and unauthorised construction. In addition, last week he had issued an order banning all mining activity within a kilometre of any national park or wildlife sanctuary,” Ramesh said.

The CJI had also put on hold the Rajasthan government’s proposal to redraw the boundaries of the Sariska Tiger Reserve and had directed the Jharkhand government to declare two rich forest areas as wildlife sanctuaries after fulfilling the provisions of the Forest Rights Act, 2006, he said.

“Retrospective approvals with penalties howsoever heavy is no solution. It only regularises the by-passing of laws,” Ramesh said.

The May 16 verdict by a bench of Justice A S Oka, since retired, and Justice Bhuyan had barred the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) and the authorities concerned from granting retrospective environmental clearances (ECs) to projects which are found in violation of environmental norms.

CJI Gavai and Justice Chandran recalled the May 16 verdict and placed the matter before an appropriate bench for reconsideration of the issues afresh.

“Public projects of Rs 20,000 crore will have to be demolished if the clearance is not reviewed. In my judgment, I have allowed the recall. My judgement has been criticised by my brother..Justice Bhuyan,” the CJI said.

Justice Bhuyan delivered a strong dissent, holding that retrospective clearances are unknown to environmental law.

He maintained that “there is no concept of ex-post facto environmental clearance in environmental law,” describing the very idea as “an anathema, a curse devoted to evil, to environmental jurisprudence”.

The CJI said the court had “found that in the 2013 notification as well as the 2021 Office Memorandum, the scheme was to permit grant of environmental clearance on the imposition of heavy penalties”.

Previous Post

Delhi 2020 riots were attack on sovereignty of nation: Delhi police tells SC

Next Post

Indian mission in Jeddah sets up camp office in Madina after bus tragedy; Consul General meets lone survivor

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Cong’s patronage to infiltrators is ‘gaddari’: Piyush Goyal hits back at Rahul’s ‘traitors’ remark

Govt to expedite filling top vacancies in public banks: Goyal
May 21, 2026

New Delhi: Union minister Piyush Goyal on Thursday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi's five-nation tour has yielded "concrete outcomes" for...

Read moreDetails

India abstains on UNGA resolution on ICJ climate opinion

UNGA adopts by consensus resolution introduced by India to establish memorial wall to honour fallen peacekeepers
May 21, 2026

United Nations: India abstained from voting on a UN General Assembly resolution calling on countries to comply with their obligations...

Read moreDetails

India-Africa Forum summit postponed

KU postpones all exams scheduled on April 2,  suspend classwork
May 21, 2026

  New Delhi, May 21 (PTI) India and the African Union have decided to postpone the India-Africa Forum summit, scheduled...

Read moreDetails

Modi making reels in Italy, while our youth tormented by paper leaks: Rahul Gandhi

May 21, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the NEET-UG paper leak and said...

Read moreDetails

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership
May 20, 2026

Rome:  India and Italy on Tuesday decided to elevate their ties to special strategic partnership and enhance cooperation in areas...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Court sends 5 accused to judicial custody, extends CBI custody of Khairnar

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 20, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Wednesday sent five accused in the NEET paper leak case to judicial custody till...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Several Indians dead in bus accident in Madina

Indian mission in Jeddah sets up camp office in Madina after bus tragedy; Consul General meets lone survivor

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.