• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

H-1B fee of USD 100,000 won’t apply to status change or extension cases: USCIS

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
October 21, 2025
in BUSINESS
A A
0
IT stocks tumble on US H-1B visa fee hike concerns; combined mkt valuation erodes by Rs 83,994 cr
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New York:  The USD 100,000 fee imposed by the Trump administration on new H-1B visa petitions will not apply to applicants seeking a “change of status” or “extension of stay”, according to fresh guidelines.

Issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Monday, the guidelines clarified the exemptions to President Donald Trump’s September 19 proclamation, ‘Restriction on entry of certain nonimmigrant workers’, which will raise the fee for new H1-B visas to a steep USD 100,000 (approx INR 88 lakhs).

More News

PM Modi, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince commend two-way investment flows

PM’s speech translated real time in sign language through AI technology at AI Summit

Allocations for women and children up by 11.55% in Budget: Govt

Load More

“The Proclamation does not apply to any previously issued and currently valid H-1B visas, or any petitions submitted prior to 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on September 21, 2025,” the USCIS said.

It added that the proclamation also does not prevent any current H1-B holder from travelling in and out of the US.

The USCIS clarified that the fee does not apply to “change of status” cases where individuals switch categories without leaving the country, such as moving from F-1 student status to H-1B status.

“It says the fee only applies to cases filed for people outside the United States, so they can come in,” Dan Berger of Green & Spiegel told Forbes in an interview. “Employers were nervous about doing change of status because the $100k might apply if they travel,” he added.

The proclamation does not apply to a petition filed at or after “12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on September 21, 2025, that is requesting an amendment, change of status, or extension of stay for an alien inside the US where the alien is granted such amendment, change, or extension.

“Further, an alien beneficiary of such petition will not be considered to be subject to the payment if he or she subsequently departs the United States and applies for a visa based on the approved petition and/or seeks to reenter the United States on a current H-1B visa.”

However, if the USCIS determines that the person is “ineligible for a change of status or an amendment or extension of stay”, then the fee would apply.

A beneficiary will not be considered to be subject to the payment if they subsequently depart the US and apply for a visa based on the approved petition and/or seek to re-enter the US on a current H-1B visa, it said.

The proclamation signed by the US President raised the fee for H1-B visas to a staggering USD 100,000 annually, in a move that could adversely impact Indian professionals on visas in the US.

Indians make up an estimated 71 per cent of all approved H-1B applications in recent years, according to the USCIS. Companies pay to sponsor H-1B applicants.

The guidelines were issued days after the US Chamber of Commerce filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration’s decision to impose the fee, describing it as “misguided policy and plainly unlawful” action that could cripple American innovation and competitiveness.

The lawsuit, filed on October 16 in a district court in Columbia, challenged the proclamation and said it exceeded the president’s lawful authority.

Tens of thousands of highly skilled people in specialised fields boost the American economy each year after obtaining H-1B status, it said.

Under a Congressional-mandated cap, the US can issue a maximum of 65,000 H-1B visas every year and another 20,000 to those who have obtained master’s and higher degrees from the US.

Previous Post

Key infrastructure sectors’ growth at 3% in Sep

Next Post

China files complaint, says India’s PLI schemes for auto, EV policy violate WTO norms

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince commend two-way investment flows

PM Modi, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince commend two-way investment flows
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khaled bin Mohamed bin Zayed Al...

Read moreDetails

PM’s speech translated real time in sign language through AI technology at AI Summit

Take part in ‘Your Money, Your Right’ movement: PM Modi
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  India's strides in artificial intelligence were showcased during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's speech at the AI Impact Summit...

Read moreDetails

Allocations for women and children up by 11.55% in Budget: Govt

Allocations for women and children up by 11.55% in Budget: Govt
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  Allocation for women and girls under various schemes has increased by 11.55 per cent to Rs 5.01 lakh...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi meets Google CEO, discusses AI collaborations

Pahalgam terror attack: PM Modi steps up diplomatic offensive against Pak
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday had a meeting with Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google and its parent...

Read moreDetails

India AI Impact Expo powerful convergence of ideas, innovation, intent: PM Modi

   PM Modi pitches for ‘swadeshi’ goods
February 17, 2026

New Delhi: India AI Impact Expo 2026 was a powerful convergence of ideas, innovation and intent, Prime Minister Narendra Modi...

Read moreDetails

Farmers’ interests safeguarded in India-US trade deal: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

Centre to set up Clean Plant facility to provide disease-resistant plants to horticulturists in Kashmir
February 17, 2026

Jaipur:  Union Agriculture Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Tuesday said the recent India-US trade deal was finalised after careful consideration...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
China denies hidden motives after hosting Iran-Saudi talks

China files complaint, says India's PLI schemes for auto, EV policy violate WTO norms

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.