Srinagar: Three security force personnel were injured in a fresh gunfight on Thursday as the anti-terror operation in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kulgam district entered the seventh day, the longest so far this year, officials said.
Jammu and Kashmir Police chief Nalin Prabhat visited the operation area to take stock of the situation.
Army’s Northern Commander Lt Gen Pratik Sharma reviewed the security situation and counter-terrorism grid in South Kashmir, where he was also briefed on the ongoing operation.
“The operation has entered its seventh day and is going on,” an official said.
Officials said three security forces personnel were injured in the fresh firefight in the morning. The total number of injured security forces personnel has now risen to seven, the officials added.
They said the security forces were using all means, including drones and helicopters, to track down the terrorists in the difficult terrain in the forest area.
Two terrorists have been killed in the encounter which began on Friday last after security forces launched a cordon and search operation in a forest area at Akhal in the south Kashmir district, following specific intelligence inputs about the presence of terrorists there.
After an initial exchange of fire between the two sides on Friday last, the operation was halted for the night, but the cordon was strengthened, and additional reinforcements were rushed to the area, officials said.
Firing resumed on Saturday, during which two terrorists were killed, the officials said.
The identity and group affiliation of the slain terrorists has not been ascertained so far, they added.
This is the longest anti-terror operation in the Kashmir valley so far this year.
Director General of J-K Police (DGP) Prabhat reached Kulgam to review the ongoing operation, the officials said.
They said the police chief was accompanied by Inspector general of Police Kashmir, V K Birdi, and other senior officials.
Prabhat was briefed about the latest developments, operational strategies and the deployment on the ground, the officials added.
Army commander, Northern Command, who visited south Kashmir, reviewed counter-terrorism grid there, where he was briefed upon the security situation, operational readiness and ongoing operations, the army’s Northern Command said in a post on X.
The army said Lt Gen Sharma complimented all ranks for their steadfastness and resilience enabling Indian Army’s resolute commitment in ensuring peace and security in the region.
Have not slept in 7 days: Locals call for relocation amid anti-terror operation in Kulgam
Amidst the ongoing anti-terror operation in Kulgam, which entered its seventh day on Thursday, locals from the Akhal village have called for their relocation from the area, citing severe hardships.
The residents claimed they were unable to sleep due to the relentless firing and were now running out of food as well.
“We have been facing severe difficulties for the past seven days. Firing and bombs go on during the night. There is a shortage of ration in our homes now,” Mubarak Khanday, a villager living close to the encounter site, said.
Emphasising that the women and children in the area are terrified, Khanday claimed that they have developed ‘psychological problems’ due to the continuous firing and explosions, he added.
Appealing to the government to make arrangements for their relocation, Khanday said, “We have not slept for seven days. Children are awake, and they cry. There is a shortage of medicine and rations.”
He further noted that the nomadic population living in the area have also run out of food grains. “The Gujjar people called us…they have no ration,” Khanday said.
However, locals were grateful to village officials like the numberdar and the chowkidar for taking care of the village. “The numberdar was giving ration to people from his home, but now he too is facing a shortage,” Khanday mentioned.
Sheikh Mehboob, a village official, urged the government to address the ration shortage and provide drinking water in the village.
“We are facing a shortage of water and medicines. We request that the Public Health Engineering (PHE) department arrange water for us. While the security forces are doing their job, the ongoing firing is causing problems for the elderly and children,” Mehboob said.
He thanked the deputy commissioner and the SSP for making arrangements for an ambulance for the locals.
Sheeraza Akhtar, another local, appealed to the Kulgam deputy commissioner to extend help to the villagers.
“We appeal to the deputy commissioner. We are poor and are facing shortages. Please help us as we are facing so many problems. Many people have left and some houses are empty. Please relocate us from here,” Akhtar said.
The counter-terror operations were launched in the forests of the Akhal area on August 1 following a tip-off about the presence of terrorists in the area.
So far, two terrorists have been killed while several security forces personnel have sustained injuries. Security forces are using technical surveillance gadgets, including drones and helicopters, to track down the terrorists hiding in the forest.
This is the longest anti-terror operation in the Kashmir valley, so far, this year.






