• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

With attackers at large, demand to fix accountability for Pahalgam massacre gains traction

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 23, 2025
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
And The Lidder Weeps   

File Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Pahalgam:  Three months after the terror attack in Pahalgam that left many tourists dead, the perpetrators are still at large, raising concerns over security lapses in the region and sparking growing calls for fixing accountability.

While the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has made two arrests in connection with the April 22 incident, those nabbed are believed to be the ones who provided logistical support, while the actual terrorists responsible for the attack have evaded security agencies.

More News

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…

Load More

The security vacuum has prompted Lt Governor Manoj Sinha, who will complete his five-year term next month, to take full responsibility for what he acknowledged as a “security failure”.

This admission was appreciated by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who nonetheless called for accountability. “I appreciate the statement of the Lt Governor but an admission of failure must be followed by action,” he had told PTI here recently.

“Heads must roll when such a grave mistake leads to the loss of precious lives. The people of Kashmir deserve to know what went wrong and who will be held accountable,” the chief minister had said.

On April 22, a meticulously planned terror strike hit holiday-makers in Pahalgam meadows, killing 26 people — 25 tourists and one local pony rider — a huge setback for the counter-insurgency campaign of the government.

The strike was characteristic of careful planning and the terrorists’ successful escape indicated a high level of training and support.

The officials said that intelligence agencies had been alerted about the possibility of a terror attack, but the inputs were utilised at another place, some 90 kilometres away from the site where the attack took place, resulting in a key security lapse.

The NIA has been mandated to conduct the investigation and, so far, it has arrested two suspects who were suspected to have given shelter and food to the attackers.

The two men – Parvaiz Ahmad Jothar from Batkote, Pahalgam and Bashir Ahmad Jothar of Hill Park, Pahalgam – were arrested by NIA on June 22.

The NIA had said the arrested accused, who are presently on remand, have disclosed the identities of the three armed terrorists involved in the attack, and have also confirmed that they were Pakistani nationals affiliated to the proscribed The Resistance Front (TRF), “a proxy of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT)”.

Parvaiz and Bashir had “knowingly harboured the three armed terrorists at a seasonal dhok (hut) at Hill Park before the attack”, according to NIA investigations.

“The two men had provided food, shelter and logistical support to the terrorists, who had, on the fateful afternoon, selectively killed the tourists on the basis of their religious identity, making it one of the most gruesome terrorist attacks ever,” the agency said.

CM Abdullah’s demand for accountability of top officials is symptomatic of the public pressure building up to fix responsibility for security failure.

The incident has highlighted doubts over the efficiency of the security system in Kashmir and will probably be at the centre of public debate in the months ahead.

Security officials said the terrorists, members of a TRF unit known as the “Falcon Squad,” breached the Pahalgam area wearing military camouflage and equipped with military-grade firearms and modern communication equipment, including a camera-fitted helmet.

The attack was reportedly “planned by Saifullah Kasuri alias Khalid, a top LeT commander and personal assistant of internationally designated terrorist Hafiz Saeed,” they added.

They indicated that the “online trail of the attackers originated from safe houses along the border in Karachi and Muzaffarabad”, which implied extensive logistical integration with the LeT network in Pakistan.

They said that targeting tourists in Pahalgam represents a “possible change in the operational policy of Kashmiri terror groups”, indicating that the group is ready to target not only government staff and settlers “but also civilian visitors under an overall strategy to destabilise the region, discourage tourists, and polarise communities”.

Employment of highly skilled terrorists under the “Falcon Squad” suggests an increasing dependence upon decentralised, difficult-to-follow-up operatives, sparking fear about the dangers to regional security and civilian existence in Jammu and Kashmir in the future, they added.

 

Previous Post

HC dismisses UT’s writ petition against MSEFC arbitral award

Next Post

Incessant rains lash parts of Jammu region

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Tuesday issued a stern warning to the narco-terror ecosystem, saying narco-terrorists and drug-peddlers can...

Read moreDetails

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha today attended the “Lal Ded National Award Ceremony” organised by Sarhad, Pune, at Srinagar. Speaking...

Read moreDetails

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…
May 20, 2026

Jammu: Police and Forest Department teams on Tuesday demolished over 30 structures and retrieved nearly 60 kanals of forest land...

Read moreDetails

Sajad Lone, Altaf Bukhari condemn demolition

Sajad Lone, Altaf Bukhari condemn demolition
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Conference President and MLA Handwara, Sajad Lone and Apni Party President, Syed Altaf Bukhari have...

Read moreDetails

Petrol, diesel prices raised by 90 paise a litre, second hike under a week

Petrol, diesel prices cut by 9 paise each
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Petrol and diesel prices were raised by about 90 paise per litre on Tuesday - the second increase...

Read moreDetails

High Court quashes FIR against former Ranji cricketer

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of J&K and Ladakh High on Tuesday quashed an FIR registered against former Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Rain, snow and thunderstorms in J&K till April 20; ‘Dry weather expected from April 22’

Incessant rains lash parts of Jammu region

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.