• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Putin proposes direct peace talks with Ukraine, Zelenskyy insists on ceasefire before negotiations

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 11, 2025
in WORLD
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Moscow:  Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday proposed holding direct peace talks with Ukraine in Istanbul on May 15 without any preconditions, a move welcomed by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who insisted that Moscow must agree to a ceasefire first.

Putin said talks are intended to “eliminate the root causes of the conflict” and “reach the establishment of a long-term, durable peace.”

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

“We would like to start talks immediately, already next Thursday, May 15, in Istanbul, where they were held before and where they were interrupted,” Putin said in an address.

He emphasised the talks should be held “without any preconditions.”

Putin’s address came just hours after the leaders of Germany, France, the United Kingdom and Poland stood alongside Zelenskyy in Kiev and urged Putin to agree to a 30-day ceasefire starting on Monday or face possible “massive sanctions.”

Root causes are generally understood to cover a range of Russian grievances, from NATO’s expansion eastwards to the size of Ukraine’s military, according to reports.

Putin reminded that after the beginning of Russia’s special military operation (SMO) in Ukraine, the representatives of Russia and Ukraine had met for several rounds of talks in Belarus and, after advanced negotiations in Istanbul facilitated by Turkey, they finalised a joint agreement in 2022. However, after the visit of former UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, this draft was trashed.

Putin categorically rejected the demand for an immediate 30-day ceasefire.

Citing a bad record of Kiev in observing ceasefire and truces, Putin accused Ukraine of not honouring a 30-day moratorium on attacks on the energy infrastructure brokered by US President Donald Trump, as well as the Easter truce.

Reacting to Putin’s offer, Zelenskyy reiterated the precondition of a full, lasting, and reliable ceasefire starting May 12.

“It is a positive sign that the Russians have finally begun to consider ending the war. The entire world has been waiting for this for a very long time. And the very first step in truly ending any war is a ceasefire,” Zelenskyy posted on X.

“There is no point in continuing the killing even for a single day. We expect Russia to confirm a ceasefire – full, lasting, and reliable – starting tomorrow, May 12th, and Ukraine is ready to meet,” he said.

For two months now, Ukraine has said it wants an immediate 30-day ceasefire. But Russia has so far refused to commit, saying it supports the idea of a pause in principle, but insists there are what it calls “nuances” that need addressing first.

The Kremlin argues that Ukraine and its European “handlers” will use the 30-day ceasefire without agreed-upon “nuances” to replenish human and hardware to resume military operations against Russia, which has an upper hand on the battlefield.

“This will be a trap for Russia, and Ukraine will rearm to continue the war with the help of its Western backers,” Senator Alexi Pushkov was quoted as saying by the state-run VestiFM.

US President Trump welcomed Putin’s offer of direct talks.

“A potentially great day for Russia and Ukraine! Think of the hundreds of thousands of lives that will be saved as this never-ending “bloodbath” hopefully comes to an end,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

“It will be a whole new, and much better, WORLD. I will continue to work with both sides to make sure that it happens. The USA wants to focus, instead, on Rebuilding and Trade. A BIG week upcoming!” he wrote.

 

 

Previous Post

India emerging as global leader in different aspects of technology: PM Modi

Next Post

Woman booked for objectionable social media status on Operation Sindoor

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Woman booked for objectionable social media status on Operation Sindoor

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.