• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Rishi Sunak’s ex-aide charged with election betting offence in UK

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
April 14, 2025
in WORLD
A A
0
Human rights groups condemn UK plan to send asylum-seekers to Rwanda after Parliament backs new law
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

London: Former British prime minister Rishi Sunak’s ex-parliamentary aide is among 15 people charged on Monday with using confidential information when placing bets on the expected date of the general election last year.

The UK’s Gambling Commission had been conducting an investigation after it emerged in May last year that some members of the then-governing Conservative Party had placed bets on the possible date of the election – which had come as a surprise to most of the country when the British Indian leader picked July 4, 2024, as polling day.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

Craig Williams, Sunak’s former parliamentary private secretary who had admitted placing a bet at the time, has now been charged over suspected cheating.

“The Gambling Commission has charged 15 people with offences under the Gambling Act 2005 following an investigation into alleged cheating related to bets placed on the timing of the 2024 general election,” the independent gambling watchdog said in a statement.

“The investigation, initiated in June 2024, focused on individuals suspected of using confidential information – specifically advance knowledge of the proposed election date – to gain an unfair advantage in betting markets. Such actions constitute an offence of cheating under Section 42 of the Gambling Act 2005, a criminal offence,” it noted.

Among the others charged include Russell George, a Conservative member of the devolved Welsh Senedd, Tony Lee, a former campaign director for the Tories, and his wife, Laura Saunders – also a former Tory election candidate, and Nick Mason, the Conservatives’ former chief data officer.

A former police officer, Jeremy Hunt, and other Tory staff or party workers are among those on the list of charges.

“The Conservative Party believes that those working in politics must act with integrity. Current members of staff who have been charged are being suspended with immediate effect,” said a spokesperson for the Opposition Conservative Party.

“These incidents took place in May last year. Our party is now under new leadership and we are cooperating fully with the Gambling Commission to ensure that their investigation can conclude swiftly and transparently,” the spokesperson said.

Sunak, now a backbench member of Parliament after the Tories were defeated in the polls, had said at the time that he was “incredibly angry” on learning about the bets and that anyone found to have broken the rules should face the “full consequences of the law”.

The 15 people charged are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court in London on June 13.

“The Commission, as the independent regulator of gambling in Britain, is committed to protecting consumers and the public, ensuring confidence in the industry, and upholding high standards among licensees,” the watchdog said, adding that it will continue to take “robust action” against illegal betting practices.

Under Sections 27 and 28 of the UK’s Gambling Act, the Commission has the authority to investigate offences and bring criminal prosecutions.

 

 

Previous Post

Nazir Ahmad Khan declares 10th Inter Zonal National Softball Championship open at Bakshi Stadium

Next Post

Suspected US airstrikes kill 7 people in Yemen, Houthi rebels say

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Missiles targeting a ship off Yemen explode without damage, the UK military says

Suspected US airstrikes kill 7 people in Yemen, Houthi rebels say

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.