• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Cong slams govt over census delay, under-utilisation of Home Ministry funds

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 21, 2025
in NATION
A A
0
Cong launches month-long ‘Haath Se Haath Jodo’ campaign in J&K
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi:  The Congress on Friday criticised the government for delayed implementation of the census and underutilisation of the Home Ministry’s allocated budget during a discussion in the Rajya Sabha.

Congress leader Ajay Maken, participating in the debate on the working of the Ministry of Home Affairs, pointed out that India’s population has increased by approximately 25 per cent since the last census in 2011.

More News

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

Load More

“In 2011, the population was 121 crore, now it is expected to be 146 crore…. For the 2011 census, we started scheduling in 2009 itself. Now, the census is important for us because all our programmes for public welfare are based on it,” Maken said.

He emphasised that under the National Food Security Act, which covers about 70 per cent of rural and 50 per cent of urban population, an additional 15 crore people could potentially receive benefits if a new census was conducted.

“You are depriving them of that benefit as you are not conducting the census so far,” Maken said, adding that the delay would also hinder other surveys conducted by the National Sample Survey Office.

While acknowledging that the Covid pandemic had disrupted census plans, Maken criticised the government for not utilising allocated funds in subsequent years.

He noted that 66 per cent of allocated census funds lapsed in 2022, 85 per cent in 2023, and 58 per cent in 2024.

“There has been no promise of conducting the census at the earliest,” he added.

The Congress leader also highlighted concerns regarding border security and police modernisation.

According to Maken, approximately Rs 225 crore remained unutilised under the Border Infrastructure Development Programme for 2023-24.

“About Rs 70,697 crore funds for border infrastructure and police modernisation allocated in the last seven years was returned,” he said, noting that about 22.93 per cent, nearly one-fourth, of the budget allocation went unspent.

Maken also raised alarms about security implications, stating: “Drugs, weapons like AK-47 and grenades are illegally entering through the borders and the government has not been able to keep a check on this”.

He called for filling vacancies in paramilitary forces and increasing budget allocations for disaster management citing the rising frequency of natural disasters due to global warming.

Previous Post

Congress pursuing ‘contract jihad’ in Karnataka: BJP

Next Post

Bill providing 4% reservation for Muslims in public contracts passed in Karnataka Assembly

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 20, 2026

Jagdalpur:  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said Naxalism has been completely eradicated from the country ahead of the...

Read moreDetails

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Army chief reviews counter-terror ops, deliberates on infusion of advanced tech
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Under Operation Sindoor, Indian forces dismantled terror infrastructure, punctured a long-standing strategic assumption, and then stopped "deliberately and...

Read moreDetails

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

NDA govt at Centre ‘crippled’; opposition dealt fatal blow to BJP: Rahul Gandhi
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday launched a scathing attack on...

Read moreDetails

All must follow law to maintain harmony: Rijiju on Adityanath’s remarks over namaz on streets

May 20, 2026

New Delhi:  Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Tuesday reacted to remarks linked to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 19, 2026

Oslo:  India and Norway have firmed up a Green Strategic Partnership, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Norwegian counterpart...

Read moreDetails

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 18, 2026

Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh):  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday asserted that India is now "by and large" free from three...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Bill providing 4% reservation for Muslims in public contracts passed in Karnataka Assembly

Bill providing 4% reservation for Muslims in public contracts passed in Karnataka Assembly

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.