• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

India cautiously reacts to Trump’s reciprocal tariff; expects resolution of issues through trade pact

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 8, 2025
in BUSINESS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi:  In a cautious reaction to American President Donald Trump’s announcement on reciprocal tariffs on its trading partners, India on Friday said it is looking at deepening trade ties with the US including by reducing tariff and non-tariff barriers under a bilateral trade agreement.

In line with his “America First” policy, Trump this week announced reciprocal tariffs from April 2 on its partners and other nations that impose higher levies on imports from the US.

More News

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Load More

The US president’s policy on tariff has stoked fears of a global trade war with many countries already announcing counter-measures to deal with it.

In its first reaction, New Delhi indicated that it expects an amicable resolution to the issue.

During Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the US last month, both sides announced plans to negotiate a mutually beneficial, multi-sector Bilateral Trade Agreement (BTA), External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said.

Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal was in the US and met his counterparts and the two governments are in the process of advancing discussions on a multi-sector bilateral trade pact, he said.

“Our objective through the BTA is to strengthen and deepen India-US two-way trade across the goods and services sector, increase market access, reduce tariff and non-tariff barriers, and deepen supply chain integration between the two countries,” Jaiswal added.

In his latest salvo, the US president while addressing a joint session of the Congress on Tuesday mentioned India alongside the European Union, China and Canada for charging higher tariffs on American products.

Trump said other countries have used tariffs against the US for decades, and now it’s “our turn” to start using them against those nations.

Modi held talks with Trump on February 13 talks in Washington DC.

In the meeting, the two sides agreed to negotiate a mega trade deal by the end of this year and set an ambitious target of USD 500 billion in annual trade by 2030 to narrow the trade deficit.

“Recognising that this level of ambition would require new, fair-trade terms, the leaders announced plans to negotiate the first tranche of a mutually beneficial, multi-sector Bilateral Trade Agreement (BTA) by fall of 2025,” a joint statement on Modi-Trump talks said.

There is an expectation in New Delhi that it may escape the reciprocal tariffs being imposed by the Trump administration on February 2.

Since assuming office on January 20, Trump on multiple occasions criticised India for higher tariffs and even described the country as a “tariff king” and ‘tariff abuser’.

In its Union budget for 2025-26, India announced its decision to lower tariffs on Bourbon whiskey, wines, and Electronic Vehicle (EV) segments.

The decisions were seen as an attempt to send a signal to the Trump administration that New Delhi is open to bring down tariffs in specific sectors.

Washington is also pushing New Delhi to buy more American oil, gas and military platforms to bring down the trade deficit that stands at around USD 45 billion in India’s favour.

The US was the largest trading partner of India with overall bilateral trade in goods and services amounting to USD 190 billion for calendar year 2023.

In the financial year 2023-24, the US was the third largest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into India with inflows of USD 4.99 billion accounting for almost per cent of total FDI equity inflows.

Previous Post

PM Modi only interested in ‘tareef’, not concerned about tariffs: Jairam Ramesh’s dig on ‘US threat’

Next Post

WTO chief says US concerns on tariffs need to be heard

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

RBI holds meeting of Steering Sub Committee of J&K SLBC
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The Reserve Bank on Monday discontinued the requirement for commercial banks to maintain Investment Fluctuation Reserve (IFR), an additional...

Read moreDetails

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

Iran Crisis: No immediate oil disruption for India; Russia pivot possible if conflict drags on
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: India has been purchasing Russian oil irrespective of US sanctions waivers and will continue to do so based...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Nation responds to PM’s call for fuel conservation
May 18, 2026

Gothenburg (Sweden): Prime Minister Narendra Modi landed in Sweden on Sunday, where he will hold talks on trade, technology, defence...

Read moreDetails

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub
May 18, 2026

New Delhi:  ICEYE, a global leader in space-based intelligence, is set to establish its first Indian production facility within the...

Read moreDetails

Govt imposes import curbs on silver

Govt imposes import curbs on silver
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: Within days of levying high customs duties on precious metals, the government on Saturday imposed import curbs on...

Read moreDetails

NCB seizes first-ever consignment of Captagon drug worth Rs 182 crore

NCB seizes first-ever consignment of Captagon drug worth Rs 182 crore
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Narcotics Control Bureau has busted an international drug syndicate involved in the trafficking of Captagon and seized...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
WTO ministerial calls for reform, vows to fight protectionism

WTO chief says US concerns on tariffs need to be heard

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.