• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, August 6, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Kanwar Yatra eateries row: Muzaffarnagar order now extends across UP, Uttarakhand

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 19, 2024
in NATION
A A
0
Kanwar Yatra eateries row: Muzaffarnagar order now extends across UP, Uttarakhand
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Lucknow/Dehradun:  Days after Muzaffarnagar Police asked all eateries along the Kanwar Yatra route to display their owners’ names, the Uttar Pradesh government is extending the controversial order across the state and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said similar instructions are already in place there.

The order issued by the Muzaffarnagar police earlier this week has been slammed by opposition parties and some members of the ruling alliance, who say it targets Muslim traders.

More News

Parliament must function smoothly: PM to BJP MPs at breakfast meeting

‘Don’t hide, answer in Parliament’: Opposition MPs slam Shah, take out protest march in Parliament complex

Lok Sabha adjourned for day as Oppn continues protest; another bill passed without debate

Load More

An Uttar Pradesh government spokesperson said Friday a formal order for all eateries along the Kanwar Yatra route in the state was likely to be issued soon.

In Dehradun, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said the decision was taken on July 12 at a meeting to review the preparations for the Kanwar Yatra.

As in Muzaffarnagar, hotels, dhabas and roadside eateries along the yatra route in Uttarakhand have been asked to display their owners’ names, addresses and mobile phone numbers.

The Uttarakhand decision will mostly cover Haridwar but some ‘kanwariyas’ also visit Rishikesh, Neelkanth and Gangotri as part of the yatra which begins on July 22.

Haridwar Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Pramendra Dobhal said strict action will be taken against violaters. Verification of the staff working at the establishments has also been made mandatory, he said.

The SSP said he has issued instructions to all shops along the yatra route to put up rate lists and QR codes. Sale of meat, fish and eggs will be completely banned in hotels, dhabas and restaurants along the Kanwar Yatra route, he said, adding that strict action will be taken if any complaint is received.

Dhami said the purpose of the decision was not to target or put anyone in trouble. “Why should anyone have any problem in introducing themselves,” he asked

There have been criminal incidents at Har ki Pauri in Haridwar in the past when tension broke out over some hotel and dhaba operators hiding their true identities, Dhami said, adding that the decision was taken to prevent such situations.

Inspector General of Garhwal K S Nagnygal said the decision was taken to maintain social harmony during the Kanwar yatra.

Senior BJP leader and former chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat justified the move, saying it will help the Shiva devotees choose where they want to eat.

Senior Congress leader in the state Harish Rawat said the decision taken by the Uttar Pradesh and the Uttarakhand governments was unfortunate and painful. “It will foment animosity between communities and bring disrepute to the country,” he said.

In Uttar Pradesh, the Muzaffarnagar police said earlier this week that its advisory to the eateries to display their owners’s names was aimed at avoiding any “confusion”.

“This has been done to ensure that there is no confusion among kanwariyas and no law-and-order situation arises. All are following this voluntarily,” district police chief Abhishek Singh told reporters then.

Justifying the move, V K Mishra, in-charge of the weights and measures department of Meerut, said Friday that as per the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, every restaurant and dhaba ‘sanchalak’ needed to display the name of the firm, the owner’s name and the licence number.

The Muzaffarnagar police advisory drew criticised from several quarters.

Union minister and BJP ally Chirag Paswan unequivocally opposed it and said he would “absolutely … never support or encourage” any divide in the name of caste or religion.

Another BJP ally, the Janata Dal (United), also criticised the advisory. Party leader KC Tyagi said the advisory should be withdrawn as it may cause communal tension and there should be no discrimination based on religion or caste.

The Congress has alleged that the directive was intended to normalise the economic boycott of Muslims. Its spokesperson Pawan Khera called the order “state-sponsored bigotry”.

AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi compared the Muzaffarnagar police advisory to the Apartheid and Judenboykott, the boycott of Jewish businesses in Hitler’s Germany.

The BJP, which is in power at the Centre and in Uttar Pradesh, however, defended the measure, claiming that it gives fasting Hindus a choice should they want to eat at a pure-vegetarian restaurant where the likelihood of them being served ‘satvik’ food is higher.

But senior BJP leader and former Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi expressed apprehension that it might spread the “disease of untouchability”.

Both Samajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) president Mayawati hit out at the Muzaffarnagar police advisory. Yadav dubbed it a “social crime” and appealed to courts to take suo motu cognisance of the matter.

Previous Post

Nothing short of bigotry: Cong slams BJP as Muzaffarnagar order extends across UP, U’khand

Next Post

DSEU revokes fee waivers for SC, ST, and EWS students, bars ‘fee defaulters’ from exams

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Parliament must function smoothly: PM to BJP MPs at breakfast meeting

No leader of any country asked India to stop Operation Sindoor: PM Modi in LS
August 6, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday hosted a breakfast meeting with 37 BJP MPs, including BJP president Nitin Nabin...

Read moreDetails

‘Don’t hide, answer in Parliament’: Opposition MPs slam Shah, take out protest march in Parliament complex

Will ask PAC to call AG, CAG to know when was CAG report on Rafale tabled in Parl: Kharge
August 6, 2026

New Delhi: Opposition MPs took out a protest march in Parliament House complex on Wednesday, demanding Home Minister Amit Shah's...

Read moreDetails

Lok Sabha adjourned for day as Oppn continues protest; another bill passed without debate

Lok Sabha proceedings begin in new Parliament building
August 6, 2026

New Delhi:  Relentless protests by opposition parties forced the adjournment of the Lok Sabha for the day after the passage...

Read moreDetails

Rahul fears debate in Parliament, makes baseless remarks against RSS: BJP

Transport facilities arranged to ensure seamless participation in PM’s rally: BJP
August 6, 2026

New Delhi:  The BJP on Wednesday came down heavily on Rahul Gandhi, saying he is an "immature and part-time" Leader...

Read moreDetails

Parliament passes Registration of Births and Deaths Bill amid Opposition protests

Govt, Oppn break impasse in Parliament; Constitution debate to be held in LS, RS
August 4, 2026

New Delhi: Parliament on Tuesday passed a bill that seeks to tighten regulations for delayed registration of births and deaths...

Read moreDetails

AAP’s march against E20 halted; Kejriwal stages sit-in on PM residence route

PM ‘treating’ judiciary in same way as he treats AAP govt: Kejriwal
August 4, 2026

New Delhi: AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday marched towards the Prime Minister's residence with over 2.30 lakh petitions...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

DSEU revokes fee waivers for SC, ST, and EWS students, bars 'fee defaulters' from exams

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.