• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Indian-origin fraudster jailed for 8 years for targeting elderly victims in UK

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 28, 2023
in WORLD
A A
0
Indian-American, girlfriend charged with murder-for-hire
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

London: A 28-year-old Indian-origin fraudster who targeted elderly and vulnerable victims in a scam impersonating a police officer or a bank official has been sentenced by a London court to eight years of imprisonment on nine counts of fraud by false representation.

Kishan Bhatt was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Tuesday, after pleading guilty in November last year at the same court, the Metropolitan Police said.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

An investigation by the force’s Specialist Economic Crime team found Bhatt had defrauded nine victims out of more than GBP 260,000 in total, besides numerous further attempts that were blocked by financial institutions or jewellers.

“Fraud is far from a victimless offence, and the repercussions for the numerous victims involved in this situation extend beyond mere financial loss,” said Detective Constable Sarah Cook, from the Met’s Economic Crime division.

“The emotional toll has been immense, leading to severe distress and devastation for those affected. Without the bank’s goodwill gesture, these victims would have been deprived of their life savings,” she said.

“The outcome demonstrates the unwavering commitment of the Met in relentlessly pursuing individuals like Bhatt who engage in fraudulent activities. Our determination remains resolute in ensuring that such offenders are held accountable and brought to justice,” she added.

The Met Police were able to identify victims in London and Norfolk, eastern England after a jeweller in London’s Hatton Garden area contacted police about an elderly, vulnerable woman attending their shop to buy gold.

Bhatt’s accomplice Artiom Kiseliov, 35, was sentenced to four-and-a-half-years’ imprisonment last year in April on one count of fraud by false representation at Kingston Crown Court, outside London in Kingston Upon Thames.

Kiseliov’s arrest followed a suspicious jeweller contacting police in relation to a 90-year-old victim who had been contacted by a man claiming to be a police officer who had arrested a male with her bank card.

The caller told the old lady she needed to protect her money and to do this she needed to invest in gold and jewellery as fraudsters would not be able to access it this way.

She was instructed to buy expensive watches in excess of GBP 90,000 over a two-week period and then Kiseliov attended her home address to collect these on a number of occasions. She was advised that the men would keep them safe for her.

In January 2022, Bhatt and Kiseliov drove her to Hatton Garden in London in an attempt to get her to buy gold as she believed she was helping the police with their investigation. The men had told her that the jewellers were corrupt and they would value the gold she bought, which would confirm the corruption.

The jewellers asked for identification and told the woman to return another day whilst they completed ID checks and ordered the gold to store. She was driven to further jewellery stores by the fraudsters and made purchases, however, these were still pending when police were alerted and were cancelled by the jewellers.

Met Police detectives launched an investigation and identified the vehicle Bhatt and Kiseliov used to transport the victim to these jewellers. Further enquiries obtained a phone number for Bhatt under an alias he was using.

The police were able to establish that between September 2020 and May 2022, Bhatt targeted nine victims aged between 29 and 90 who were approached whilst he posed as a bank employee, a landlord and a police officer. Once he had gained their trust, he transferred money out of their accounts.

The majority of the money has been refunded to the victims by banks, the Met Police said.

Previous Post

China will strengthen global partnerships, safeguard its sovereignty: Wang Yi

Next Post

Poor cellular connectivity irks Baba Reshi area inhabitants, visitors

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Mobile Internet service restored in parts of Kashmir

Poor cellular connectivity irks Baba Reshi area inhabitants, visitors

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.