• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, August 3, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

SC grants bail to 8 convicts in Godhra train burning case

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 21, 2023
in NATION
A A
0
SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted bail to eight people sentenced to life imprisonment in the 2002 Godhra train burning case which plunged Gujarat into a communal conflagration.

A bench of Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice P S Narasimha, while granting them the relief took note of the time they have already served and the unlikelihood of their appeals being taken up for disposal anytime soon.

More News

Slipper hurled at Pappu Yadav at presser as he defends skit on Ram temple donation theft

PM speaks of ‘forgiving’ students; govt owes them justice, apology: Rahul

Raut backs Raj Thackeray’s Siddhivinayak Temple donation theft claim; points fingers at Shinde, BJP

Load More

“We direct that the convicts be released on bail subject to such terms and conditions as may be imposed by the sessions court,” the bench said.

The convicts who were granted bail are – – Abdul Sattar Ibrahim Gaddi Asla, Yunus Abdul Hakk Samol, Mohammad Hanif Abdulla Moulvi Badam, Abdul Rauf Abdul Majid Isa, Ibrahim Abdulrazak Abdul Sattar Samol, Ayub Abdul Gani Ismail Pataliya, Soheb Yusuf Ahmed Kalandar and Suleman Ahmad Hussain

The top court, however, refused to grant bail to four convicts – Anwar Mohammad Mehda, Saukat Abdulla Moulvi Ismail Badam, Mehboob Yakub Mitha and Siddik Mohammad Mora- after Solicitor General Tushar Mehta opposed their applications highlighting their role in the incident.

Senior advocate Sanjay Hegde, appearing for the convicts whose bail petitions were rejected, requested the bench to adjourn the hearing on their applications, saying there is a festival tomorrow.

Mehta, who represented the Gujarat government, had earlier said it was not merely a case of stone-pelting as the convicts had bolted a bogie of the Sabarmati Express and set it ablaze, leading to the death of 59 passengers.

Several appeals against the conviction are pending before the Supreme Court.

On February 27, 2002, 59 people were killed when the S-6 coach of the train was burnt at Gujarat’s Godhra, triggering riots that soon engulfed many parts of the state.

In its October 2017 judgment, the high court had commuted the death sentence awarded to 11 convicts in the Godhra train burning case to life imprisonment. It had upheld the life sentence awarded to 20 others.

Previous Post

Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr holiday with feasts, prayers

Next Post

Make national interest sole basis of your every decision: PM Modi to civil servants

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Slipper hurled at Pappu Yadav at presser as he defends skit on Ram temple donation theft

Slipper hurled at Pappu Yadav at presser as he defends skit on Ram temple donation theft
August 2, 2026

New Delhi: A man threw a slipper at Independent MP Pappu Yadav during a press conference at his house on...

Read moreDetails

PM speaks of ‘forgiving’ students; govt owes them justice, apology: Rahul

NDA govt at Centre ‘crippled’; opposition dealt fatal blow to BJP: Rahul Gandhi
August 2, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Sunday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks of "forgiving" students, but it is...

Read moreDetails

Raut backs Raj Thackeray’s Siddhivinayak Temple donation theft claim; points fingers at Shinde, BJP

BJP rule in Maharashtra worse than Aurangzeb’s time: Raut
August 2, 2026

Mumbai: Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sanjay Raut on Sunday backed Maharashtra Navnirman Sena president Raj Thackeray's claim of donation theft...

Read moreDetails

Fourth edition of tri-service future warfare course to begin from Monday

August 2, 2026

New Delhi: The fourth edition of the tri-service future warfare course, which covers a wide range of subjects, including geopolitical...

Read moreDetails

BJP leaders file police complaint against Rahul, Pappu Yadav over skit; FIR in Varanasi

Transport facilities arranged to ensure seamless participation in PM’s rally: BJP
August 2, 2026

New Delhi/Varanasi, Aug 1 (PTI) BJP leaders, including MP Bansuri Swaraj, filed a police complaint in Delhi on Saturday, demanding...

Read moreDetails

Amit Shah presents Lokmanya Tilak National Award to NSA Ajit Doval

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
August 1, 2026

Pune: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday presented the Lokmanya Tilak National Award to National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Make national interest sole basis of your every decision: PM Modi to civil servants

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.