• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, August 29, 2025
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

SC grants bail to 8 convicts in Godhra train burning case

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 21, 2023
in NATION
A A
0
SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted bail to eight people sentenced to life imprisonment in the 2002 Godhra train burning case which plunged Gujarat into a communal conflagration.

A bench of Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice P S Narasimha, while granting them the relief took note of the time they have already served and the unlikelihood of their appeals being taken up for disposal anytime soon.

Related posts

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370

SC questions Guv’s delay in assenting to Bills, says term ‘as soon as  possible’ will serve no purpose

August 28, 2025
Tampering with smart meters: Govt mulls to lodge FIR against 272 consumers in Sgr

BJP files FIR over ‘abuses’ hurled at PM’s late mother during Rahul’s Bihar yatra

August 28, 2025

“We direct that the convicts be released on bail subject to such terms and conditions as may be imposed by the sessions court,” the bench said.

The convicts who were granted bail are – – Abdul Sattar Ibrahim Gaddi Asla, Yunus Abdul Hakk Samol, Mohammad Hanif Abdulla Moulvi Badam, Abdul Rauf Abdul Majid Isa, Ibrahim Abdulrazak Abdul Sattar Samol, Ayub Abdul Gani Ismail Pataliya, Soheb Yusuf Ahmed Kalandar and Suleman Ahmad Hussain

The top court, however, refused to grant bail to four convicts – Anwar Mohammad Mehda, Saukat Abdulla Moulvi Ismail Badam, Mehboob Yakub Mitha and Siddik Mohammad Mora- after Solicitor General Tushar Mehta opposed their applications highlighting their role in the incident.

Senior advocate Sanjay Hegde, appearing for the convicts whose bail petitions were rejected, requested the bench to adjourn the hearing on their applications, saying there is a festival tomorrow.

Mehta, who represented the Gujarat government, had earlier said it was not merely a case of stone-pelting as the convicts had bolted a bogie of the Sabarmati Express and set it ablaze, leading to the death of 59 passengers.

Several appeals against the conviction are pending before the Supreme Court.

On February 27, 2002, 59 people were killed when the S-6 coach of the train was burnt at Gujarat’s Godhra, triggering riots that soon engulfed many parts of the state.

In its October 2017 judgment, the high court had commuted the death sentence awarded to 11 convicts in the Godhra train burning case to life imprisonment. It had upheld the life sentence awarded to 20 others.

Previous Post

Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr holiday with feasts, prayers

Next Post

Make national interest sole basis of your every decision: PM Modi to civil servants

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Next Post

Make national interest sole basis of your every decision: PM Modi to civil servants

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ePaper

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2024 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2024 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.