• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, August 5, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Will abide by eviction notice without ‘prejudice to my rights’: Rahul to LS Secretariat

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 28, 2023
in NATION
A A
0
Rahul writes to Speaker to allow him to speak in Lok Sabha over his UK remarks
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday replied to the Lok Sabha Secretariat’s notice to vacate his official bungalow and said he will abide by the eviction notice, even as his party leaders slammed the government, accusing it of humiliating him.

Gandhi was on Monday served a notice to vacate the government bungalow, allotted to him, by April 22 following his disqualification as a member of Lok Sabha after his conviction in a criminal defamation case last week.

More News

Parliament passes Registration of Births and Deaths Bill amid Opposition protests

AAP’s march against E20 halted; Kejriwal stages sit-in on PM residence route

Opposition MPs protest in Parliament complex on Ram temple donation theft issue, police action against students

Load More

In his communication to the LS Secretariat, Gandhi said,”thank you for your letter of March 27, 2023, regarding the cancellation of my accommodation at 12 Tughlak Lane. As an elected member of the Lok Sabha over the last four terms, it is the mandate of the people to which I owe the happy memories of my time spent here.”

“Without prejudice to my rights, I will, of course, abide by the details contained in your letter,” he said in his letter to the MS branch of the LS Secretariat which had sent him the notice.

The Housing Committee of the Lok Sabha took the decision following which the secretariat of the House served the notice on the former Congress president, a Z-plus protectee who has been living in the 12, Tughlaq Lane bungalow since 2005.

Slamming the Centre over the eviction notice, Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge said he condemns the government’s attitude to “threaten, scare and humiliate” the former party chief.

He also said that Gandhi could go and live with his mother Sonia Gandhi at her 10 Janpath residence or he could himself provide a house by vacating one for the Gandhi scion.

“They will do everything to weaken him (Rahul Gandhi). He can go live with his mother or he can come to me, I will vacate one for him. I condemn this attitude of the government to threaten, scare and humiliate,” Kharge told reporters before leaving for Parliament.

“In a democracy, several times we have managed without a house for three-four months. I got this bungalow after six months. People do these things to humiliate others. I condemn this attitude,” the Congress president said.

Rajya Sabha MP Kapil Sibal also took a swipe at the government over the move, calling it “petty politics of petty men”.

“Rahul asked to vacate the bungalow. Their conscience has gone on a vacation. Petty politics of petty men,” Sibal tweeted.

Asked about the eviction notice at a press conference, Union minister Smriti Irani said the property does not belong to him, but to the people.

A local court in Gujarat convicted Gandhi in a criminal defamation case on March 23 and sentenced him to two years in jail. The conviction triggered his disqualification as a Lok Sabha member from the date of the verdict. Gandhi was granted bail to allow him to appeal to a higher court in a month.

A senior official said a Member of Parliament (MP) has to vacate the official bungalow within one month of losing his membership.

The Congress has already announced a protest march from Red Fort to Town Hall in old Delhi’s Chandni Chowk against the disqualification of party leader Rahul Gandhi from Lok Sabha.

During the ‘Loktantra Bachao Mashal Shanti March’, the Congress MPs will hold burning torches in their hands during the march.

Previous Post

Amnesty: West’s ‘double standards’ fuel Mideast repression

Next Post

Cong moots bringing no-confidence motion against Speaker for ‘bias’, ‘haste’ in Rahul’s disqualification

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Parliament passes Registration of Births and Deaths Bill amid Opposition protests

Govt, Oppn break impasse in Parliament; Constitution debate to be held in LS, RS
August 4, 2026

New Delhi: Parliament on Tuesday passed a bill that seeks to tighten regulations for delayed registration of births and deaths...

Read moreDetails

AAP’s march against E20 halted; Kejriwal stages sit-in on PM residence route

PM ‘treating’ judiciary in same way as he treats AAP govt: Kejriwal
August 4, 2026

New Delhi: AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday marched towards the Prime Minister's residence with over 2.30 lakh petitions...

Read moreDetails

Opposition MPs protest in Parliament complex on Ram temple donation theft issue, police action against students

Opposition MPs protest in Parliament complex on Ram temple donation theft issue, police action against students
August 4, 2026

New Delhi: Opposition MPs, including Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, protested in Parliament House complex on Tuesday against the...

Read moreDetails

Bill to increase Supreme Court judges passed by Lok Sabha without debate; House adjourned for day

Lok Sabha proceedings begin in new Parliament building
August 3, 2026

New Delhi:  The Lok Sabha on Monday passed a bill to replace an ordinance that increased the number of Supreme...

Read moreDetails

SC says states can withdraw FIRs against students who participated in NEET protests

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
August 3, 2026

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday clarified that the expression "criminal antecedents" in its order on releasing student protesters...

Read moreDetails

Brij Bhushan acquitted in wrestlers’ sexual harassment case, court cites lack of evidence

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
August 3, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Monday acquitted former Wrestling Federation of India chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh in a...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Cong launches month-long ‘Haath Se Haath Jodo’ campaign in J&K

Cong moots bringing no-confidence motion against Speaker for 'bias', 'haste' in Rahul's disqualification

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.