• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Iran’s top leader says suspected poisonings ”unforgivable”

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
March 6, 2023
in WORLD
A A
0
Iran’s top leader says suspected poisonings ”unforgivable”
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Dubai:  Iran’s supreme leader said on Monday that if a series of suspected poisonings at girls’ schools are proven to be deliberate the culprits should be sentenced to death for committing an “unforgivable crime”.

It was the first time Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all matters of state, has spoken publicly about the suspected poisonings, which began late last year and have sickened hundreds of children.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

Iranian officials only acknowledged them in recent weeks and have provided no details on who may be behind the attacks or what chemicals — if any — have been used. Unlike neighbouring Afghanistan, Iran has no history of religious extremists targeting women’s education.

“If the poisoning of students is proven, those behind this crime should be sentenced to capital punishment and there will be no amnesty for them,” Khamenei said, according to the state-run IRNA news agency.

Authorities have acknowledged suspected attacks at more than 50 schools across 21 of Iran’s 30 provinces since November.

Iran’s Interior Minister Ahmad Vahidi said over the weekend that “suspicious samples” had been gathered by investigators, without elaborating. He called on the public to remain calm and accused unnamed enemies of inciting fear to undermine the Islamic Republic.

Vahidi said at least 52 schools had been affected by suspected poisonings, while Iranian media reports have put the number of schools at over 60. At least one boy’s school reportedly has been affected.

Videos of upset parents and schoolgirls in emergency rooms with IVs in their arms have flooded social media.

Iran has imposed stringent restrictions on independent media since the outbreak of nationwide protests in September, making it difficult to determine the nature and scope of the suspected poisonings.

The protests were sparked by the death of a young woman who had been detained by morality police for allegedly violating the country’s strict dress code. Religious hard-liners in Iran have been known to attack women they perceive as dressing immodestly in public. But even at the height of Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution, women and girls continued attending schools and universities.

The children affected in the poisonings have reportedly complained of headaches, heart palpitations, feeling lethargic or otherwise unable to move. Some described smelling tangerines, chlorine or cleaning agents.

Reports suggest at least 400 schoolchildren have fallen ill since November. Vahidi, the interior minister, said in his statement that two girls remain in hospital because of underlying chronic conditions. There have been no reported fatalities.

As more attacks were reported on Sunday, videos were posted on social media showing children complaining about pain in the legs, abdomen and dizziness. State media have mainly referred to these as “hysteric reactions”.

The World Health Organisation documented a similar phenomenon in Afghanistan from 2009 to 2012, when hundreds of girls across the country complained of strange smells and poisoning. No evidence was found to support the suspicions, and the WHO said it appeared to be “mass psychogenic illnesses”.

Previous Post

9 policemen killed, 13 injured in suicide attack in Pakistan’s restive Balochistan

Next Post

Russia steps up effort to take elusive prize of Ukraine city

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Russia steps up effort to take elusive prize of Ukraine city

Russia steps up effort to take elusive prize of Ukraine city

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.