• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, May 22, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

UN chief Guterres, Security Council condemn deadly mosque attack in Pakistan

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
January 31, 2023
in WORLD
A A
0
UN Chief strongly condemns detention of political leaders, transfer of powers to military in Myanmar
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

United Nations: United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the Security Council have condemned the suicide bombing at a mosque in Peshawar city of Pakistan, with a UN spokesperson saying countries must ensure that their territories are not used for terror activities.

Strongly condemning the suicide bombing on Monday that killed at least 90 people and injured over 100 others, Guterres said in a statement that it is particularly abhorrent that the attack occurred at a place of worship.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

The outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) terror group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

“Freedom of religion or belief, including the ability to worship in peace and security, is a universal human right,” he said.

At the daily press briefing here, spokesman for the Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, said, “What is clear is that every government or every authority that has control over territory has a responsibility towards the international community to make sure that their territory is not being used for terrorist activities.”

He was responding to a question on the attack and promises made by the Taliban that they would not allow Afghan soil to be used for terror attacks.

The TTP, known as the Pakistani Taliban, claimed responsibility for the suicide attack, saying it was part of a revenge attack for slain TTP commander Umar Khalid Khurasani who was killed in Afghanistan in August last year.

The 15-nation UN Security Council issued a press statement condemning in the “strongest terms” the “heinous and cowardly” suicide terrorist attack, which took place in the Police Lines area of Peshawar city, where Police Headquarters and counter-terrorism officials are based.

“The members of the Security Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security,” it said.

The Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice. They urged all States, by their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with the Government of Pakistan and all other relevant authorities.

The members of the Security Council reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever, and by whomsoever committed.

The Secretary-General reiterated the solidarity of the United Nations with the Government and people of Pakistan in their efforts to address terrorism and violent extremism.

Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who visited Peshawar shortly after the attack, strongly condemned the attack and took to Twitter to say, “The sheer scale of the human tragedy is unimaginable,” adding that the pain of the grieving families cannot be described in words.

“My message to the perpetrators of today’s despicable incident is that you can’t underestimate the resolve of our people,” he said.

“This is no less than an attack on Pakistan,” Sharif said, adding that terrorism is the country’s “foremost national security challenge”.

The TTP, set up as an umbrella group of several militant outfits in 2007, called off a ceasefire with the Pakistani government and ordered its militants to stage terrorist attacks across the country.

The group, which is believed to be close to al-Qaeda, has been blamed for several deadly attacks across Pakistan, including an attack on army headquarters in 2009, assaults on military bases, and the 2008 bombing of the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad.

In 2014, the Pakistani Taliban stormed the Army Public School (APS) in the northwestern city of Peshawar, killing at least 150 people, including 131 students. The attack sent shockwaves across the world and was widely condemned.

Previous Post

Blinken in Mideast renews appeal for Israel-Palestinian calm

Next Post

World acknowledging India’s tough stand on terrorism: President Murmu

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
World acknowledging India’s tough stand on terrorism: President Murmu

World acknowledging India's tough stand on terrorism: President Murmu

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.