• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, August 11, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Rubaiya Sayeed identifies Yasin Malik, 3 others as her abductors

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 16, 2022
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
CBI summons Rubaiya Sayeed in case related to her abduction
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Jammu: Rubaiya Sayeed, former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed’s daughter, appeared before a special CBI court on Friday in a case related to her 1989 abduction and identified JKLF chief Yasin Malik and three others as the ones who took her captive, officials said.

This is the first time Rubaiya has been asked to appear in the case. She had been freed after five militants were released in exchange. Rubaiya, who stays in Tamil Nadu, is listed as a prosecution witness by the CBI, which took over investigations into the case in early 1990.

More News

CM Omar hints at cabinet reshuffle after August 15

Heavy to very heavy rainfall in J&K today

CM hands over Rs 2.71 cr cash awards to outstanding athletes

Load More

Rubaiya identified Malik, who was present in the court through video conferencing.

“This is the person and his name is Yasin Malik. He was the man who threatened me that he would drag me out of the minibus if I refused to follow their diktat,” Rubaiya told the judge.

She later identified him again through the pictures that were exhibited in the court.

The case had gone into virtual cold storage and was revived after Malik was picked up by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in 2019 on charges of “terror funding”.

In January last year, the CBI, with help from special public prosecutors Monika Kohli and S K Bhat, framed charges against 10 people, including Malik, in the Rubaiya kidnapping case that turned out to be a turning point in the Valley’s volatile history. The release of the five JKLF members was seen as a morale booster for militant groups, which had started raising their heads at the time.

During the hearing, Rubaiya recorded her statement before the special judge and during the course she identified Malik, who was recently sentenced to life imprisonment in a “terror funding” case, and three others as her abductors.

Ahead of Rubaiya’s statement, Malik had appeared in the same case on July 13 during which he asked the court for ensuring his physical appearance so that he could cross question the witnesses in the case or else he would sit on indefinite hunger strike in prison.

Malik told the court that he was awaiting a response from the government till July 22 failing which he would start his indefinite hunger strike.

The JKLF chief is at present lodged in the high-security Tihar Jail after he was sentenced by a special NIA court in Delhi in May. He was arrested in early 2019 in connection with the 2017 “terror-funding” case registered by NIA.

Rubaiya was abducted near Lal Ded Hospital on December 08, 1989 and freed from captivity five days later on December 13 after the then V P Singh government, supported by the BJP at the Centre, released the five militants in exchange.

Others charged in the case are Ali Mohammed Mir, Mohammed Zaman Mir, Iqbal Ahmad Gandroo, Javed Ahmad Mir, Mohammedd Rafiq Pahloo, Manzoor Ahmed Sofi, Wajahat Bashir, Mehraj-ud-Din Sheikh and Showkat Ahmad Bakshi.

During the investigation, accused Ali Mohammad Mir, Zaman Mir and Iqbal Gandroo voluntarily confessed before a magistrate about their role in the Rubaiya kidnapping. Besides, four others made confessional statements before CBI’s Superintendent of Police.

“Since the accused persons besides admitting of their own guilt have also narrated about the participation of other accused persons namely Malik, Javed Ahmed Mir and Mehraj-ud-Din Sheikh, which can also be used against them as one of the pieces of evidence,” the court had said in January last year.

The 10 are among the two dozen accused named by the CBI in its chargesheet filed before the court. Among the others, top JKLF commanders Mohammad Rafiq Dar and Mushtaq Ahmad Lone are dead and 12 are absconding. These are Halima, Javed Iqbal Mir, Mohammad Yaqub Pandit, Riyaz Ahmad Bhat, Khursheed Ahmad Dar, Basharat Rehman Noori, Tariq Ashraf, Shafat Ahmad Shangloo, Manzoor Ahmad, Gulam Mohammad Taploo, Abdul Majeed Bhat and Nissar Ahmad Bhat.

In March 2020, the special court framed charges against the JKLF chief and six others in another case related to the gunning down of four IAF personnel on the outskirts of Srinagar in January 1990.

Previous Post

Special Court, or in its absence, Sessions Court alone can decide a bail plea under ULAP Act: HC

Next Post

Trouble makers don’t want peace but development not possible without it: LG

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

CM Omar hints at cabinet reshuffle after August 15

Following KI report on Srinagar Smart City fiasco, CM announces inquiry
August 11, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir UT government may witness its first cabinet reshuffle and expansion after August 15. This was hinted...

Read moreDetails

Heavy to very heavy rainfall in J&K today

Rain, snow and thunderstorms in J&K till April 20; ‘Dry weather expected from April 22’
August 11, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir is likely to receive widespread rain and thundershowers over the next few days, with the Weather...

Read moreDetails

CM hands over Rs 2.71 cr cash awards to outstanding athletes

CM hands over Rs 2.71 cr cash awards to outstanding athletes
August 11, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday presented cash awards totalling Rs 2.71 crore to outstanding sportspersons and international athletes...

Read moreDetails

Security beefed up across J&K ahead of Independence Day; frisking, vehicle checks intensified

Security beefed up across J&K ahead of Independence Day; frisking, vehicle checks intensified
August 11, 2026

Srinagar: Security has been beefed up across Jammu and Kashmir ahead of Independence Day, with security forces stepping up frisking,...

Read moreDetails

Drug peddler’s Rs 4 crore property attached

Three OGWs held in Pulwama: Police
August 11, 2026

SRINAGAR: Police on Monday attached property worth around Rs 4 crore belonging to an alleged drug peddler in Budgam district,...

Read moreDetails

J&K gears up for first international film festival

J&K gears up for first international film festival
August 11, 2026

Jammu: The Department of Information and Public Relations (DIPR) on Monday organised “Frame by Frame: The Storytellers’ Meet” at the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Trouble makers don’t want peace but development not possible without it: LG

Trouble makers don’t want peace but development not possible without it: LG

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.