• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

LG confirms 15 deaths in Amarnath Yatra flashflood

Majid Kapra by Majid Kapra
July 15, 2022
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Adequate arrangements made for Amarnath Yatra: LG
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday confirmed the final count of those killed in the flashflood near the Amarnath cave shrine as “15 people dead, none missing”, and said the rescue operation has been called off.

Referring to reports about several persons missing in the aftermath of the flashflood on July 08, Sinha said the helpline number of the Shrine Board had received about 200 calls and it took some time to track the pilgrims as their mobile phones were switched off.

More News

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

Load More

“Fifteen pilgrims have lost their lives and all have been identified. Fifty-five persons were injured and all, except two, have been discharged and have gone home,” Sinha told reporters at the Raj Bhavan here.

The LG said the two injured were undergoing treatment at SKIMS Soura here and their condition is stated to be stable.

“I hope they will also be discharged in a few days,” he said, adding that 14 bodies were sent to their families in different states while the cremation of one was done here by the family.

He said two local ponywalas who had suffered injuries in the incident have also been discharged from the hospital after treatment.

He said the administration was in touch with all the state governments and as of now no person was missing.

“We have been in touch with principal resident commissioners of all the states and when there was a need, we even spoke to concerned deputy commissioners, and I can tell you that largely we do not have any inputs about any person missing,” Sinha said.

He said the rescue operation which was on since July 08 has largely been called off.

“No new dead body was found and the operation has been called off,” he added.

On the allegations that the administration did not take adequate measures in the wake of a flashflood last year, Sinha said the flow pattern of both the flashfloods — last year as well as the one in 2015 — was kept in mind and the Irrigation and Flood Control department erected a wall there.

“I have spoken to many experts, had that bund not been there, the disaster could have been worse,” he added.

Referring to PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti’s remarks that the government had allowed more pilgrims than recommended, Sinha said the Supreme Court had formed a committee of experts and on the basis of the discussions by the committee, the decision on the number of pilgrims was taken.

“Two years before, 7,500 people were permitted through both sides. Last year, the Shrine Board improved the facilities and with the result, it was decided to allow 10,000 yatris from both the axis and this decision is being fully implemented.

“I can tell you that this year, attempts have been made to improve the infrastructure and the facilities. We have tried to take feedback from the yatris as well,” the LG said.

Sinha said with the support of the locals, the Yatra is going on in a right manner and so far, about 1.5 lakh pilgrims have had ‘darshan’ at the cave shrine.

“I am thankful of the locals who showed sensitivity and guided the yatris that day. They provided all help to them,” he said, adding “it remains to be seen as to how many more yatris will come”.

The LG said all the pilgrims have a Rs 5 lakh insurance cover.

“Apart from that, the next of kin of those who died will be provided another Rs 5 lakh by the Shrine Board,” he said.

Sinha said the administration has requested the Surveyor General of India to work on the digital contour mapping around the cave.

“We are in touch with experts on what other steps need to be taken,” he added. (With PTI inputs)

Previous Post

Amarnath Yatra suspended due to bad weather

Next Post

India reports 20,038 new COVID-19 cases, 47 fatalities

Majid Kapra

Majid Kapra

majidkapra@gmail.com

Related Posts

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit
February 20, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday strongly pitched for democratising artificial intelligence, and said some countries believe that...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday said that the return of the Kashmiri Pandit community to the valley, with...

Read moreDetails

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate
February 20, 2026

JAMMU: The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly today passed grants amounting to ₹61,575.88 lakh for the General Administration Department (GAD),...

Read moreDetails

CM pledges regularisation of daily-wagers in 2026

Omar calls for minority status to Mata Vaishno Devi medical college to resume its operation
February 20, 2026

Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said the government will initiate the process of regularising daily-rated, ad-hoc...

Read moreDetails

Action against big sharks first, others later: CM Abdullah on land encroachment

Omar Abdullah presents Rs 1.27 lakh cr budget, announces welfare/development measures to boost economy
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Taking a firm stand against encroachment on government land, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday assured action in the...

Read moreDetails

CM pitches for separate department to study climate change

31 Jammu colonies regularised, further process stayed by HC: CM
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday called for the formation of a specific department which will study climate change...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
COVID-19 caseload in India climbs to 86,83,916

India reports 20,038 new COVID-19 cases, 47 fatalities

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.