• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, February 23, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Dr Farooq withdraws from consideration as presidential candidate

Images News Netwok by Images News Netwok
June 19, 2022
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
NC will approach SC against Delimitation Commission recommendations: Abdullah
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir National Conference president and party’s MP from Srinagar-Budgam, Dr Farooq Abdullah today withdrew his name from consideration as the joint opposition candidate for the office of President of India.

He said that he has a “lot more active politics” ahead of him, and that he wanted to contribute in navigating the Union Territory through the current “critical juncture”, however, added that he was looking forward to supporting the joint opposition consensus candidate.

More News

‘Don’t share OTP, Aadhaar, bank details’: PM Modi’s tips on combating digital fraud

Three JeM terrorists killed in Kishtwar encounter

‘Sixth Khelo India Winter Games to begin at Gulmarg today

Load More

The 84-year-old Abdullah is the second political person after Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar to have withdrawn their names as probable opposition nominee for the July elections.

Abdullah’s statement comes ahead of a scheduled meeting of opposition parties in Mumbai to discuss their joint candidate for the presidential elections.

In a statement, Abdullah thanked the opposition leaders for proposing his name. He said he was honoured that his name was proposed by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to run for the office of the President of India.

“Subsequent to Mamata didi proposing my name, I have received a number of calls from opposition leaders offering their support for my candidature,” Abdullah said in the statement, adding he had discussions with senior colleagues of his party and family about this “unexpected” development.

“I am deeply touched by the support that I’ve received and honoured to have been considered for the highest office in the country. I believe that Jammu and Kashmir is passing through a critical juncture and my efforts are required to help navigate these uncertain times,” he said.

The former Union minister said he believed he has a “lot more active politics ahead of me and look forward to making a positive contribution in the service of J&K and the country”.

“Therefore, I would like to respectfully withdraw my name from consideration and I look forward to supporting the joint opposition consensus candidate,” he said, conveying his gratitude to Banerjee and all the senior leaders who offered their support.

Abdullah’s name was proposed by Banerjee during a meeting earlier this week of 17 opposition parties, including the Congress, DMK, NCP and the Samajwadi Party.

Banerjee had suggested the names of Abdullah and former West Bengal governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi after Pawar had declined the offer.

The process to elect a new president began on June 15. The last date of filing of nominations is June 29. The polls, if necessary, will be held on July 18.

Previous Post

Off-duty police officer shot dead in Pulwama

Next Post

Fresh landslide blocks Jmu-Sgr national highway yet again

Images News Netwok

Images News Netwok

Related Posts

‘Don’t share OTP, Aadhaar, bank details’: PM Modi’s tips on combating digital fraud

   PM Modi pitches for ‘swadeshi’ goods
February 23, 2026

New Delhi: "Do not share your OTP, Aadhaar number, or bank account details with anyone. Most importantly, change your passwords...

Read moreDetails

Three JeM terrorists killed in Kishtwar encounter

Three JeM terrorists killed in Kishtwar encounter
February 23, 2026

Jammu: Three members of the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terror outfit were killed in an encounter with security forces in Kishtwar...

Read moreDetails

‘Sixth Khelo India Winter Games to begin at Gulmarg today

‘Sixth Khelo India Winter Games to begin at Gulmarg today
February 23, 2026

Gulmarg: The famous ski-resort, Gulmarg is ready to host the sixth Khelo India Winter Games (KIWG) in which over 400...

Read moreDetails

‘Continued delay’ in restoration of statehood to J-K is concerning: Farooq Abdullah

NC-led govt achieved a lot in one year despite UT status: Farooq Abdullah
February 23, 2026

Srinagar: Ruling National Conference (NC) president Farooq Abdullah on Sunday expressed concern over the "continued delay" in the restoration of...

Read moreDetails

NHPC to launch desilting as Salal reservoir’s capacity shrinks 96 per cent

IWT to remain suspended until Pakistan abjures support for cross-border terror: Jal Shakti ministry
February 23, 2026

Jammu: Decades after key sediment-management facilities were rendered inoperable under the Indus Waters Treaty, the reservoir of the Salal power...

Read moreDetails

Last rites of Jammu student who died in Russia-Ukraine war held

Last rites of Jammu student who died in Russia-Ukraine war held
February 23, 2026

Jammu:  Manjinder Singh, 24, travelled to Russia on a student visa with hopes of higher education and supporting his family....

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Jmu-Sgr highway remains closed for 2nd day, 3000 vehicles stranded

Fresh landslide blocks Jmu-Sgr national highway yet again

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.