• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Court martial proceedings against Army captain begin in Amshipura fake encounter case

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 4, 2022
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Toolkit case: Delhi court grants protection from arrest to Shantanu Muluk till Mar 9
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: The Army has initiated general court martial proceedings against a captain for the killing of three men in a staged encounter in Amshipura in south Kashmir in July 2020 after a Court of Inquiry found that troops had “exceeded” powers vested under the AFSPA, officials said here on Sunday.

The three men hailing from Rajouri district of Jammu region — Imtiyaz Ahmed, Abrar Ahmed and Mohammed Ibrar — were killed in a remote hilly village in Shopian district on July 18, 2020 and labelled as “terrorists”.

More News

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Load More

However, as doubts were raised on social media over the killings, the Army promptly constituted a Court of Inquiry which found prima facie evidence that the troops had “exceeded” powers vested under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act.

“Maintaining its highest standards and commitment to ethical conduct of anti-militancy operations, the court martial proceedings were then initiated against Captain Bhoopendra Singh,” they said.

The Court of Inquiry was followed by the Summary of Evidence, which was completed in the last week of December 2020. Subsequently, the Army had issued a statement saying “the process of recording the Summary of Evidence has been completed. The same is being examined by the authorities concerned in consultation with legal advisors for proceeding further.”

“The Indian Army is committed to ethical conduct of operations,” it had said.

The officials said the captain was facing court martial proceedings for violating the powers vested under the AFSPA and for not following the Do’s and Don’ts of the Army as approved by the Supreme Court.

The Army had also called Mohammed Yusuf, the father of Abrar Ahmed, from Rajouri for deposing in the court martial proceedings.

“I have been here for the last one week and the Army authorities have asked for the missing report about my son which I have provided. We are being looked after by the Army and I am confident that I will get justice,” he said.

Immediately after the news about the fake encounter spread, the police had constituted a Special Investigation Team which filed a charge-sheet against three people, including Captain Singh, for “staging a fake encounter” in the higher reaches of Shopian district and killing three men.

The charge-sheet had alleged that Captain Singh had provided wrong information to his superiors and the police about the recovery made during the staged encounter. The other two named by the police in its charge-sheet are Tabish Nazir and Bilal Ahmed Lone, both civilians.

“By staging the encounter,” the three accused “have purposefully destroyed evidence or real crime that they have committed and also have (been) purposefully projecting false information as part of a criminal conspiracy hatched between them with the motive to grab” cash rewards, it said.

The Army had, however, denied that its captain staged the encounter for cash reward, saying there was no such system for its personnel for any acts in combat situations or otherwise in the line of duty.

“The evidence was destroyed by accused Captain Singh,” the charge-sheet said, adding he along with the other two accused set fire to a shelter where the encounter had been staged.

The SIT charge-sheet gave details of forensic analysis of the crime scene which was photographed “from all possible perspectives”. The FSL (Forensic and Scientific Laboratory) team recovered vital evidence that was seized.

The charge-sheet submitted by the SIT listed 75 witnesses in support of its findings and also provided technical evidence, including call data records of the accused persons.

Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha had visited the families in Rajouri in 2020 and conveyed to them Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s message that the government stood with the aggrieved families, and they would be taken care of with all support from the government.

The identity of the three youths was subsequently confirmed through a DNA test. The bodies were handed over to their families in Baramulla in October 2020 and were later buried in their native village in Rajouri.

Previous Post

5 militant associates of LeT arrested in Bandipora

Next Post

Two non-locals shot at in Pulwama

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha completed his self-enumeration today, marking the beginning of the House listing and Housing Census...

Read moreDetails

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Infiltrating Jammu and Kashmir to execute terror attacks for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a Pakistani terrorist paused his operations...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Union Minister Jitendra Singh on Sunday said the mainstreaming of Jammu and Kashmir under the leadership of Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

DFCO issues advisory ahead of nationwide chemists’ bandh on May 20

Tral shuts for second day against militant killings
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Drugs and Food Control Organization on Sunday issued a public advisory ahead of the nationwide bandh call given by...

Read moreDetails

Govt withholds salaries of four ACDs over poor MGNREGA performance

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has withheld the salaries of four Additional District Programme Coordinators (ADPCs)/Assistant Commissioners Development (ACDs)...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
RSS leader, PSO shot dead in Kishtwar; curfew imposed

Two non-locals shot at in Pulwama

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.