• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, August 11, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Mamata says Bengal was offered controversial Pegasus spyware for just Rs 25 crore, 4-5 years ago

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 17, 2022
in NATION
A A
0
   BJP resorting to politics of killing: Mamata
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Kolkata/Amaravati:  West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said that the cyber-security company which developed Pegasus had approached the state police at least four to five years back with an offer to sell the controversial Israeli spyware for just Rs 25 crore but she had turned down the offer when she came to know of it.

Banerjee also alleged that instead of using the spyware for the security of the country, it was used by the central government which she claimed purchased it, for “political” reasons against Judges and officials.

More News

Govt offer of Shah’s statement on student protests fails to end Parliament deadlock

PM’s image destroyed’; Modi, Shah cannot escape consequences of their actions: Rahul

India expands entry points network for e-visa holders; Attari new addition in land ports

Load More

However, the Telugu Desam party refuted assertions made by her on Wednesday  that the then chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, Chandrababu Naidu had purchased the spyware during his tenure.

“They (NSO, the company which developed Pegasus) had approached everybody to sell their ware. They had approached our police too four-five years ago and offered to sell it for Rs 25 crore. I had  the information, but I said that we did not require it,” Banerjee said at the state secretariat.

“If it was used for the benefit of the country or for security reasons then it was a different matter altogether, but it has been used for political purposes, against judges, officers which is not at all welcomed,” she alleged.

The Bengal CM had on Wednesday had disclosed in the Assembly that her government was offered Pegasus spyware which she had declined as it had the potential to encroach upon people’s privacy.

During her disclosure in the Assembly, the fiery leader had also claimed that the Andhra government “had it during Chandrababu (Naidu’s) time”.

However, the Telegu Desam party refuted the claim and said the Chandrababu Naidu government had made no such purchase.

“We have never purchased any Spyware. We never indulged in any illegal phone tapping,” Telugu Desam Party general secretary Nara Lokesh said here on Thursday.

Reacting to  Banerjee’s claim that the previous Chandrababu Naidu government purchased the Pegasus Spyware, Lokesh who was the then Minister for Information Technology in his father Chandrababu’s Cabinet,said “I don’t know whether she has indeed said that, and where and in which context. If she did say that, she is certainly misinformed.”

However, he said the software was offered to the state government.

“Yes, Pegasus offered to sell its Spyware to the AP government as well but we rejected it,” Lokesh said.

Had the government purchased the Spyware, there would be a record of it, he pointed out.

An international media consortium had reported last year that over 300 verified Indian mobile phone numbers were on the list of potential targets for surveillance using Pegasus spyware. The Supreme Court is currently hearing a batch of pleas on the allegations of misuse of this spyware in India.

Previous Post

A stress free Kohli could be dangerous news for opposition: Maxwell

Next Post

Hijab ban in classroom: Fresh plea in SC challenges Karnataka HC verdict

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Govt offer of Shah’s statement on student protests fails to end Parliament deadlock

Uproar in LS as Shah moves Bills for removal of PM, CMs, ministers arrested on criminal charges
August 11, 2026

New Delhi: The government's offer for a debate and Home Minister Amit Shah's reply on student protests and police action...

Read moreDetails

PM’s image destroyed’; Modi, Shah cannot escape consequences of their actions: Rahul

PM must tell Trump he lied on India-Pak hostilities: LoP Rahul Gandhi
August 11, 2026

New Delhi: Upping the ante against the government over the alleged police "brutalities" against student protesters, Leader of Opposition in...

Read moreDetails

India expands entry points network for e-visa holders; Attari new addition in land ports

537 Pak nationals left India through Attari in 4 days as deadline ends for short-term visa holders
August 11, 2026

  New Delhi: The Centre has officially notified 11 international ports, nine land ports, including Attari on the India-Pakistan border,...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi urges people to enthusiastically participate in ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign

J&K, Ladakh witnessed wide-ranging transformation since Article 370 abrogation: PM Modi
August 9, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday urged people to enthusiastically participate in the 'Har Ghar Tiranga' campaign and...

Read moreDetails

Op Sindoor showed India will go to any extent to ensure its citizens’ safety: Rajnath

“Democratic process to begin soon in J&K; AFSPA to be removed when lasting peace prevails”
August 9, 2026

New Delhi: The Operation Sindoor demonstrated the unmatched valour of the country's armed forces, who sent a global message that...

Read moreDetails

You will have to answer for this crime: Rahul to Shah on police ‘brutalities’ against students

Restoration of statehood to J&K collective responsibility of country’s all citizens: Rahul
August 9, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Sunday questioned Home Minister Amit Shah's silence over alleged police brutalities against protesting...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
58 girls suspended from college in K’taka for wearing Hijab, holding protest

Hijab ban in classroom: Fresh plea in SC challenges Karnataka HC verdict

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.