Four charred to death, 14 injured in Jammu scrap store blaze
LG announces ex-gratia for victims
Srinagar: Four persons including a woman and a child were charred to death and at least 13, mostly non-local laborers, suffered injuries after a massive fire broke out inside a scrap shop with some shanties in the vicinity of Jammu’s busy Residency Road.
In a statement issued this evening, SSP Jammu, Chandan Kohli said that the fire was caused by a suspected short-circuit and later intensified after subsequent explosion of LPG cylinders inside the store leading to death of three persons and injuries to 15 others.
The injured have been evacuated by police, Fire and Emergency Services assisted by locals to a hospital for treatment.
However, one of the injured later succumbed to injuries raking death toll to four, sources said.
Meanwhile, Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has condoled the loss of lives due to the LPG Cylinder blast in Jammu.
The Lt Governor has sanctioned an ex-gratia of Rs.5 Lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased and Rs. 1 lakh each to those who got seriously injured in the unfortunate incident.
“Deeply saddened by the loss of lives due to LPG cylinder blast at a scrap shop in Jammu. My condolences to the bereaved families and prayers for speedy recovery of the injured. Directed the district administration to provide all the necessary assistance.
“An ex-gratia of Rs.5 Lakh each to be given to the families of the deceased in Jammu LPG Cylinder blast incident. Ex gratia of Rs.1 lakh to be given to the seriously injured and Rs.25,000 to those with minor injuries,” the Lt Governor tweeted.