• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Court pronounces death penalty to 38 convicts in 2008 Ahmedabad blasts case; 11 get life term

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
February 18, 2022
in NATION
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Ahmedabad:  A special court here on Friday awarded death penalty to 38 convicts and sentenced 11 others to life imprisonment in the case related to the 2008 Ahmedabad serial blasts, which had claimed 56 lives and left over 200 injured.

The pronouncement of the quantum of punishment by judge A R Patel came nearly 14 years after the deadly blasts.

More News

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership

NEET paper leak: Court sends 5 accused to judicial custody, extends CBI custody of Khairnar

Modi, Shah traitors who sold Hindustan: Rahul alleges at rally in Raebareli

Load More

The court had convicted 49 persons and acquitted 28 others in the case on February 8.

As many as 21 explosions had ripped through the city on July 26, 2008 within a span 70 minutes.

In the over 7,000-page judgement, the court termed the case as the rarest of rare and ordered that 38 convicts in the case be hanged till death, while 11 others were awarded life imprisonment till death, public prosecutor Arvind Patel told reporters.

These 38 persons were convicted under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections 302 (murder) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) and provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). Eleven others were held guilty for criminal conspiracy and under various sections of the UAPA, he said.

The court imposed a fine of Rs 2.85 lakh on 48 convicts and of Rs 2.88 lakh on another one. It also awarded compensation of Rs 1 lakh to the kin of those who died in the blasts, Rs 50,000 to those who were seriously injured and Rs 25,000 to those who received minor injuries.

Those who were awarded death sentence include Safdar Nagori, Qayumuddin Kapadiya, Zahid Shaikh, Qumarudding Nagori and Shamsudding Sheikh.

All the convicts were present for the hearing via video-conference from eight different jails – Sabarmati central jail in Ahmedabad, Tihar in Delhi, Bhopal, Gaya, Bengaluru, Kerala and Mumbai.

“I can say that this is the case in which highest number of convicts were awarded death sentence. Earlier, in one case 26 people were given death case. But in this case the number is 38,” the public prosecutor said.

The court had concluded the trial against 77 accused in September last year. Out of 78 accused on trial, one had turned approver. The trial had begun in December 2009 against 77 persons linked to banned terror outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM).

Four more accused were arrested later, but their trial has not commenced yet, a senior government lawyer said.

Bombs had exploded at various spots in Ahmedabad, including the state government-run civil hospital, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation-run LG Hospital, on buses, parked bicycles, in cars and other places, killing 56 persons.  As many as 29 live bombs were also found in Surat in the next couple of days though none of them exploded. The trial was conducted after the court merged 20 FIRs of Ahmedabad and 15 FIRs of Surat.

The state government had transferred the investigation to the Ahmedabad crime branch, under the supervision of then JCP Ashish Bhatia, who is now serving as the Gujarat DGP.

A total of nine different judges presided over the case, starting with Bela Trivedi, in whose court charges were framed against the accused on February 15, 2010. Justice Trivedi is now the judge of Supreme Court.

Special judge AR Patel, who handed over the judgement, started hearing the case from June 14, 2017.

Police had claimed that members of the IM, a radicalised faction of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), were behind the blasts. The IM planned the blasts as a revenge for the 2002 post-Godhra riots in Gujarat in which over a thousand persons, most of them from the Muslim community, had died, the investigators have said.

Previous Post

IEDs were prepared for carrying out blasts across city: Delhi Police chief

Next Post

In Ukraine’s volatile east, a day of shelling, outages, fear

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership
May 20, 2026

Rome:  India and Italy on Tuesday decided to elevate their ties to special strategic partnership and enhance cooperation in areas...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Court sends 5 accused to judicial custody, extends CBI custody of Khairnar

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 20, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Wednesday sent five accused in the NEET paper leak case to judicial custody till...

Read moreDetails

Modi, Shah traitors who sold Hindustan: Rahul alleges at rally in Raebareli

J&K’s security situation to figure in conference of DGPs, IGPs in Jaipur on January 5-7
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday termed Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and the RSS...

Read moreDetails

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 20, 2026

Jagdalpur:  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said Naxalism has been completely eradicated from the country ahead of the...

Read moreDetails

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Army chief reviews counter-terror ops, deliberates on infusion of advanced tech
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Under Operation Sindoor, Indian forces dismantled terror infrastructure, punctured a long-standing strategic assumption, and then stopped "deliberately and...

Read moreDetails

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

NDA govt at Centre ‘crippled’; opposition dealt fatal blow to BJP: Rahul Gandhi
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday launched a scathing attack on...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
In Ukraine’s volatile east, a day of shelling, outages, fear

In Ukraine's volatile east, a day of shelling, outages, fear

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.