• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 2, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

OPEC+ meets omicron: New variant clouds oil supply decision

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
December 2, 2021
in BUSINESS
A A
0
OPEC+ meets omicron: New variant clouds oil supply decision
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Washington:  OPEC and allied oil-producing countries meet on Thursday under the spikey shadow of a new COVID-19 threat, with uncertainty over the omicron variant’s impact on the global economic recovery hanging over their decision on how much oil to pump to a world paying more for gasoline.

Officials from OPEC countries, led by Saudi Arabia, and their allies, led by Russia, will meet online and decide whether to stick with pre-omicron plans for steady, modest monthly increases in oil releases — a pace that has frustrated the United States and other oil-consuming nations as gas prices rise — or to scale back those planned upticks.

More News

India approves just 1 Chinese FDI proposal worth Rs 1 cr, 13 Hong Kong proposals worth Rs 610.42 cr

Petrol, diesel sales soar on weak monsoon rains, LPG demand shifts to piped gas

PM Modi inaugurates Bhogapuram Airport, says Andhra poised to become manufacturing hub

Load More

The fast-mutating variant led countries to impose barriers to travel when it emerged late last week.

Americans had been celebrating what seemed to be a nearly normal Thanksgiving after some pandemic restrictions eased.

The price of a barrel of US benchmark crude fell with news of omicron. It was about USD 78 a barrel a week ago and was trading at about USD 67 a barrel midday Wednesday. International benchmark Brent crude followed a similar path, falling from USD 79 a barrel a week ago to USD 70 Wednesday.

Saudi Energy Minister Abdulaziz bin Salman earlier this week played down any impact the little-understood variant would have on oil demand, telling the kingdom’s Asharq al-Awsat newspaper: “We are not worried.”

But OPEC ministers briefly postponed one of their meetings this week, hoping for more insight into whether the variant is likely to push the world back toward pandemic lockdowns or leave markets relatively unscathed.

Some analysts predicted that the OPEC+ alliance — made up of OPEC members and allied non-members like Russia — would act cautiously Thursday, cutting the amounts of their planned releases only slightly, if at all, pending more clarity from medical experts on the new variant.

“OPEC+ is ready to wait for more data on the efficacy of current vaccines before making any significant changes to its output strategy,” said Louise Dickson, senior oil markets analyst for Rystad Energy.

Before omicron’s appearance, Thursday’s meeting had been shaping up as a potentially fraught moment in a growing dispute between oil-supplying nations and oil-consuming ones, as the global economy rebounds from the worst of the pandemic downturn and demand for oil surged.

Angering the US and its allies, OPEC+ has stuck to a plan to open the petroleum taps bit by bit — even as oil prices surged to seven-year highs — until deep production cuts made during the depths of the pandemic are restored.

With rising gas prices putting him under political pressure at home, President Joe Biden last week responded to OPEC’s refusal to increase supplies more quickly by announcing the US and other nations would release tens of millions of barrels of oil from their strategic reserves, boosting supplies and lowering prices.

Omicron’s emergence has unsettled those dynamics.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Wednesday that she knew of no plans to slow releases from strategic reserves, despite the advent of the variant.

Biden sent senior energy adviser Amos Hochstein to the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia this week to soothe relations, address energy prices and talk about working together in transitioning to cleaner energy. Hochstein met with the Saudi energy minister Tuesday.

“We continue to convey that we are hopeful they will release supply to meet the demand out there on the marketplace,” Psaki said.

Previous Post

You can now buy sovereign gold on RBI Retail Direct Portal also

Next Post

India says engaged with NSG members for support for early decision on its membership bid

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

India approves just 1 Chinese FDI proposal worth Rs 1 cr, 13 Hong Kong proposals worth Rs 610.42 cr

India top recipient of Commonwealth FDI: Report
August 2, 2026

  New Delhi:  India approved just one Chinese FDI proposal worth Rs 1 crore, while clearing 13 applications from Hong Kong...

Read moreDetails

Petrol, diesel sales soar on weak monsoon rains, LPG demand shifts to piped gas

Petrol price hit highest level under BJP govt, diesel at record high
August 2, 2026

New Delhi: Petrol and diesel sales by India's three state-run fuel retailers rose sharply in July as below-normal monsoon rainfall...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi inaugurates Bhogapuram Airport, says Andhra poised to become manufacturing hub

Nation responds to PM’s call for fuel conservation
August 1, 2026

Visakhapatnam: Highlighting the development potential of Andhra Pradesh, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday said global companies are exploring opportunities...

Read moreDetails

Commercial LPG prices cut by Rs 192, ATF rates up Rs 5/litre

Niti Aayog working on proposal ‘to replace LPG subsidy with cooking subsidy’
August 1, 2026

New Delhi: The prices of commercial LPG -- used in establishments such as hotels and restaurants -- were on Saturday...

Read moreDetails

Gross GST mop-up grows 15.4% to over Rs 2.11 lakh cr in July on higher imports, sales

August 1, 2026

New Delhi: Gross GST collections grew 15.4 per cent to over Rs 2.11 lakh crore in July on higher mop-up...

Read moreDetails

Cabinet approves extension of PM-KISAN scheme till FY’31 with outlay of Rs 3.15 lakh crore

Cabinet nod to expand infra, academic capacity of five IITs
August 1, 2026

New Delhi: The government on Friday extended the PM-KISAN scheme for the next five years till 2030-31 with a total...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
India says engaged with NSG members for support for early decision on its membership bid

India says engaged with NSG members for support for early decision on its membership bid

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.