Images News Netwok

Restrictions eased, life limps back to normality

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

With easing of restrictions, people thronged Srinagar’s flea market on Sunday. Photo/Javed Khan

Srinagar: Restrictions were eased out in Kashmir, but security forces continued to remain deployed on the fourth day on Sunday following the death of separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, officials said.

There are no restrictions on movement of people in the Valley, but barricades continue to remain in place along roads at several areas, especially those leading to Geelani’s residence at Hyderpora here in view of the fourth day of mourning for the separatist leader.

Security forces remained deployed in strength in the city and elsewhere.

Even as there was increased traffic movement across the Valley, but most of the public transport remained off the roads.

Shops also opened in some areas of the city as well as in other parts of the Valley.

The situation is normal and under control, officials said.

The police had on Saturday said several preventive measures had been taken to maintain law and order, including preventive arrests of dozens of “miscreants” so far.

The police also said “several social media platforms, including Kashmir Media Service which are running from Pakistan, have been trying to spread fake news and videos to instigate miscreants to disturb peace.”

Even a few “local media persons and channels have been found spreading fake news and the police are observing them, maintaining evidence and appropriate actions shall be taken against them,” they said.

While voice calling and fixed-line internet services across all operators were restored Friday night after remaining suspended for two days, mobile internet services continued to remain barred.

IGP Kashmir, Vijay Kumar on Friday said the services would be restored on Sunday after a review meeting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *