• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, August 3, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home SPORTS

Saina, Srikanth’s Olympic hopes take hit as Malaysia Open postponed

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 8, 2021
in SPORTS
A A
0
India shuttlers to start training after clearing COVID-19 tests
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Malaysia Open Super 750 tournament, one of badminton’s last two Olympic qualifying events, was on Friday postponed due to a recent COVID-19 surge in the host country, dealing a severe blow to the Tokyo hopes of Indian stars like Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth.

The USD 600,000 event was scheduled to be held in Kuala Lumpur from May 25 to 30.

More News

Bumrah ruled out of Sri Lanka Test series, Auqib Nabi set to be drafted in

Speaker inaugurates cricket tournament in Budgam, calls on youth to take up sports

Cabinet approves revamped Khelo India scheme with ₹36,441 crore outlay till 2031

Load More

“All attempts were made by the organisers and BWF to provide a safe tournament environment for all participants, but the recent surge in cases left no choice but to postpone the tournament,” Badminton World Federation said in a statement.

“BWF can confirm the rescheduled tournament will no longer take place in the Olympic qualifying window. New tournament dates will be confirmed at a later date.”

The decision came as a huge setback for London Olympics bronze-medallist Saina and men’s star Srikanth’s last hopes of Olympic qualification.

Following the postponement of the India Open (May 11-16), Saina and Srikanth’s qualification for the Tokyo Games hinged on the Kuala Lumpur event followed by the Singapore Open (June 1-6).

It is highly unlikely that the Indian duo will be able to travel to Singapore as the country has suspended all flights from COVID-ravaged India.

The Badminton Association of India had earlier said that as per the laid-out guidelines, for any Indian to enter Singapore, they have to either be in quarantine in a foreign country other than India for 14 days to be allowed to enter Singapore.

“Alternatively all players have to maintain a 21 days quarantine in Singapore.”

Malaysia too has banned all flights from India and BAI had been exploring alternative routes to reach there via Doha or Sri Lanka but with the suspension of the Kuala Lumpur event, efforts would now be directed towards Singapore.

Indian shuttlers who have already made the cut for the Olympics include PV Sindhu, B Sai Praneeth and the men’s doubles pair of Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy.

Besides the quartet, Srikanth, Saina and the women’s doubles pair of N Sikki Reddy and Ashwini Ponnappa were supposed to participate in the two Olympic qualifiers.

Previous Post

The extraordinary life and times of ‘FATIMA’ (RA)

Next Post

Alarm bells started going off, it was chaos: Morris on COVID in IPL bio-bubble

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Bumrah ruled out of Sri Lanka Test series, Auqib Nabi set to be drafted in

Bumrah picks up fifer but England draw parity with India by making 465 all out
August 3, 2026

New Delhi: Premier pacer Jasprit Bumrah is set to miss India's two-Test tour of Sri Lanka as he is yet...

Read moreDetails

Speaker inaugurates cricket tournament in Budgam, calls on youth to take up sports

Speaker inaugurates cricket tournament in Budgam, calls on youth to take up sports
August 3, 2026

Budgam: Speaker of the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly on Sunday inaugurated a local cricket tournament at Tujan in Budgam...

Read moreDetails

Cabinet approves revamped Khelo India scheme with ₹36,441 crore outlay till 2031

Khelo India initiative: Block Level competitions to start from Sept 1 at Poonch
August 1, 2026

New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Friday approved a revamped Khelo India Scheme and an enhanced Assistance to National Sports...

Read moreDetails

Rana calls for revival of willow cultivation to support Kashmir’s cricket bat industry

Govt committed to preserving Kashmir’s houseboat heritage: Javed Rana
August 1, 2026

Srinagar: Minister for Jal Shakti, Forest, Ecology and Environment, and Tribal Affairs, Javed Ahmed Rana, on Friday directed the concerned...

Read moreDetails

J&K Sports Council begins junior football trials for national championship

August 1, 2026

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council on Friday began open selection trials for the Union Territory's Junior Boys Football...

Read moreDetails

Against all odds, Kashmir’s Majid Magray set to lead India at Lord’s

J&K’s Majid Magray to lead India in mixed disability T20I series against England
July 31, 2026

For most cricketers, the road to the national team is measured in runs, wickets and performances. For Majid Magray, it...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
South African becomes most expensive buy in IPL with 16.25 crore RR deal

Alarm bells started going off, it was chaos: Morris on COVID in IPL bio-bubble

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.