Iran says it begins 20% uranium enrichment amid US tensions
Tehran: Iran said on Monday it has begun enriching uranium up to 20 per cent at an underground nuclear facility, a short, technical step to weapons-grade levels of 90 per cent amid escalating tensions with the US.
Iranian state television quoted spokesman Ali Rabiei as saying that President Hassan Rouhani has given the order for the move at the Fordo facility.
Iran’s decision to begin enriching to 20 per cent a decade ago nearly brought an Israeli strike targeting its nuclear facilities, tensions that only abated with the 2015 atomic deal. A resumption of 20 per cent enrichment could see that brinksmanship return.
The move comes after President Donald Trump withdrew the US unilaterally from Iran’s nuclear deal with world powers in 2018. In the time since, there have been a series of escalating incidents between the two countries.
Iran’s decision comes after its parliament passed a bill, later approved by a constitutional watchdog, aimed at hiking enrichment to pressure Europe into providing sanctions relief. It also serves as pressure ahead of the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden, who has said he is willing to re-enter the nuclear deal.
Iran informed the International Atomic Energy Agency last week that it planned to take the step.
Shielded by the mountains, Fordo is ringed by anti-aircraft guns and other fortifications. It is about the size of a football field, large enough to house 3,000 centrifuges, but small and hardened enough to lead US officials to suspect it had a military purpose when they exposed the site publicly in 2009.
The 2015 deal saw Iran agree to limit its enrichment in exchange for sanctions relief. The accord also called for Fordo to be turned into a research-and-development facility.
Under Irans former hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Tehran began enrichment at the 20 per cent level. Israel, which has its own undeclared nuclear weapons program, feared Tehran was building an atomic bomb.
After the discovery of Fordo, the US worked on so-called “bunker buster” bombs designed to strike such facilities. As Israel threatened at one point to bomb Iranian nuclear sites like Fordo, US officials reportedly showed them a video of a bunker-buster bomb destroying a mock-up of Fordo in Americas southwestern desert.
Israel, which under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has continued to criticise Irans nuclear program, offered no immediate comment Saturday.
Up to now, Iran had enriched uranium up to 4.5 per cent, in violation of the accords limit of 3.67 per cent. Experts say Iran now has enough low-enriched uranium stockpiled for at least two nuclear weapons, if it chose to pursue them. Iran long has maintained its nuclear program is peaceful.