• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Aug 05 decision still ‘haunts’ people of Ladakh: former minister

KI News by KI News
September 24, 2020
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Aug 05 decision still ‘haunts’ people of Ladakh: former minister
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

BY: Tasaduq Hussain

Ladakh: Having announced to boycott the upcoming polls to LAHDC, different political parties in newly created Ladakh union territory Wednesday said that the last year’s August 05 decision has created so many apprehensions about their future.

More News

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Load More

The political leaders in Ladakh believe that the last year’s August 05 decision was taken without the consent of people, and the central government created a separate union territory from the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir but didn’t give them legislative powers and there are no constitutional safeguards to the region either, which is worrying the people.

News agency KNO quoted former minister and ex-BJP chief of Ladakh, Chering Dorjey, as saying that the last year’s August 05 decision still haunts the people of the region, who are now demanding 6th schedule to safeguard their land and culture.

“If the Centre doesn’t give constitutional safeguards under the 6th schedule to the entire region, then there is no fun of making it as a separate union territory. People must be given constitutional security, because without that the UT status is meaningless,” Dorjey said.

The poll boycott is supported by all political and religious parties, student’s bodies and all panchs and sarpanchs including the common people and it marks a history of maiden mass boycotts in the entire region, he said.

“In the erstwhile state, the provisions under Article 35-A ensured the protection of the entire region, which is now gone,” he said. “Unless the safeguard under 6th schedule is given, people will continue to feel insecure.”

Rigzin Spalbar, region’s senior political leader and former CEC said that the boycott call is important and it sends a clear message, shows people’s commitment to their cause. “If people participate in the elections, it will convey as if everything is normal, which is certainly not the case. People are concerned and worried about their future and want constitutional safeguards and protection.”

Spalbar said the election boycott won’t favor anyone. “It is useless to go for the electoral process as not even the nominations will be filed here,” he said.

The former CEC of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) said when it finally comes to survival and existence, people here very well know what to do.

Rinchen Namgyal, official spokesman for Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Ladakh said that the poll boycott decision is important and is in the larger interests of Ladakh. “We have to jointly demand the constitutional safeguard under 6th schedule,” he said.

He said he fails to understand as to why the people of Jammu and Kashmir have accepted the new domicile law.

“People in Ladakh have been demanding union territory status for the last three decades but with full legislative powers and proper security to it” he said. “No one knew about the last year August 05 decision and the government did not consult anyone that time. J&K shouldn’t have accepted the new domicile law, and Ladakh will in no way accept it.”

Ladakh parties flay BJP leader’s statement on LAHDC polls, seeks apology

Ladakh: Hundreds of people Wednesday staged a protest sit-in at Leh against the J&K BJP unit’s general secretary Ashok Kouls statement that the LAHDC elections would be held in time.

Pertinently, an apex body of veteran religious, political and student leaders has unanimously called for a complete poll boycott of LAHDC, Leh polls scheduled to commence from 16 October.

According to the news agency KNO, people assembled at the Grand Dragon and shouted slogans against the BJP general secretary for his statement, terming it as “irresponsible”.

Later the leaders of the apex body addressed a joint press briefing and condemned the statement made by Ashok Koul.

They said that Koul’s “irresponsible” statement hurt the sentiments of people of Ladakh.

Demanding an apology from Koul, the leaders said that he should take back his words and tender an apology.

They said when the joint statement was issued, Leh BJP district president, Nawang Samstan was also present; he is one of the signatories to the joint statement, and the decision he took was considering the sentiments of people and future of Ladakh.

The leaders said that the statement was aimed to break the unity of Ladakhis and there seems to be some motive behind it.

The Ladakhi leaders said that looking at the sentiments of the people, the government must take measures for securing the rights of local residents.

Pertinently, Ashok Koul is currently in Leh and has said that elections to LAHDC, Leh would happen on time and that boycott of polls was not the way forward. “We are talking to the BJP functionaries in Leh and others who took part in the meeting,” he had said.

Meanwhile, the Merchant Association Leh, as mark of protest against the statement of Ashok Koul, has called for half day ‘bandh’ (shutdown) tomorrow.

“To condemn and protest the unacceptable/irresponsible statement given by Ashok Kaul with regards to LAHDC Leh election boycott called by the apex body Peoples Movement for Sixth Schedule for Ladakh yesterday, Merchant Association Leh in support of apex body has decided to observe half-day bandh on Sep 24, 2020,” the traders body said.

Previous Post

3 killed as vehicle rolls down deep gorge in Doda

Next Post

LG pledges to encourage actual development instead of ‘mere announcements’

KI News

KI News

Kashmir Images is an English language daily newspaper published from Srinagar (J&K), India. The newspaper is one of the largest circulated English dailies of Kashmir and its hard copies reach every nook and corner of Kashmir Valley besides Jammu and Ladakh region.

Related Posts

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday flagged low conviction rates under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and said that...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Monday reviewed the ongoing construction works and pilgrim facilities at Shri Amarnath Shrine Board...

Read moreDetails

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Out on interim bail, Engineer Rashid meets ailing father in Srinagar hospital
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The father of jailed Baramulla MP Sheikh Abdul Rashid, also known as Engineer Rashid, died at a hospital in...

Read moreDetails

CM expresses grief over demise of father of MP, MLA Khursheed Ahmad

CM assures priority redressal of public concerns
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the passing away of Khazir Mohammad Sheikh, father...

Read moreDetails

Person cannot be declared “history-sheeter”, placed under surveillance ‘mechanically’ HC

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh has ruled that a person cannot be declared a “history-sheeter”...

Read moreDetails

Have urged chief justices of all HCs to conduct virtual hearings: CJI

‘Imaandari’ not mere ornament to character, it sustains justice and reputation: CJI
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said on Monday that he had requested the chief justices of all...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
LG pledges to encourage actual development instead of ‘mere announcements’

LG pledges to encourage actual development instead of 'mere announcements'

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.