• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

‘China doubles air bases, air defence positions and heliports near LAC after 2017 Doklam standoff’

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
September 23, 2020
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
‘China doubles air bases, air defence positions and heliports near LAC after 2017 Doklam standoff’
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: China has started construction of at least 13 entirely new military positions including three air bases, five permanent air defence positions and five heliports near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the aftermath of the Doklam standoff in 2017, according to a report by global security consultancy Stratfor.

The report also said construction on four of those new heliports started only after the current border standoff erupted in eastern Ladakh in early May.

More News

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Load More

“The 2017 Doklam crisis appears to have shifted China’s strategic objectives, with China more than doubling its total number of air bases, air defense positions, and heliports near the Indian border over the past three years,” it said.

The report authored by security expert Sim Tack and released on Tuesday said China’s construction drive projects a future military capability that will see long-term regional tensions with India sustained beyond the two countries’ recent standoffs.

The report said the recent procurement of the Rafale fighter aircraft by India has started to provide it some relief, but more time will be required to see indigenous production and foreign acquisitions truly rebuild the strength of India’s Air Force.

It observed that the ongoing escalation in the Ladakh region has started to formulate an Indian response to the broader strategic threat posed by China’s ongoing military infrastructure drive.

The report titled ‘A Military Drive Spells Out China’s Intent Along the Indian Border’ analysed that the rapid expansion of permanent Chinese military infrastructure points to Beijing’s intentions that span a wider timeframe than current and recent border standoffs.

“Indian and Chinese forces clashed in the Doklam region in June 2017. Since then, China has started constructing at least 13 entirely new military positions near its borders with India, including three air bases, five permanent air defense positions and five heliports,” the report said.

It said China’s strategy aims to confront India with an “insurmountable” challenge in territorial disputes by leaning on broad support capabilities that provide Beijing with a tremendous ability to mobilise forces into disputed border areas.

The report noted that such an approach is similar to China’s strategy in the South China Sea, where a buildup of permanent defense facilities supports Chinese localised military superiority and significantly raises the potential cost of military opposition to Beijing’s maritime claims.

“In applying this same strategy on the Indian border, China aims to discourage Indian resistance or military action during future border disputes by ostentatiously demonstrating its ability and intent to engage in military confrontations.”

The troops of India and China were engaged in a 73-day stand-off in Doklam tri-junction in 2017 which even triggered fears of a conflict between the two nuclear-armed neighbours.

Tensions were defused after several rounds of talks.

The armies of the two countries have been locked in a fierce faceoff in eastern Ladakh since May 05 following a violent clash in Pangong Tso area.

The current row is turning out to be the biggest military standoff between the two sides since the 1962 Sino-India war.

A significant portion of Beijing’s recent infrastructure developments is aimed directly at strengthening its ability to project air power along the entire Indian border at a time when New Delhi itself is trying to rebuild its air power, the report said.

“While these new developments are geographically focused on the region of current tensions, Chinese activity across India’s entire border will likely drive future expansions of Indian military infrastructure near disputed borders at Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh,” it said.

The report said New Delhi will continue to upgrade its overall military capabilities, particularly in those fields where capability gaps exist vis-a-vis China, such as air power, ground-based air defence and missile forces.

Previous Post

JeM militant killed in Charar-e-Sharief encounter, soldier injured

Next Post

6th round of Sino-India military talks lasts 14 hrs

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday flagged low conviction rates under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and said that...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Monday reviewed the ongoing construction works and pilgrim facilities at Shri Amarnath Shrine Board...

Read moreDetails

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Out on interim bail, Engineer Rashid meets ailing father in Srinagar hospital
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The father of jailed Baramulla MP Sheikh Abdul Rashid, also known as Engineer Rashid, died at a hospital in...

Read moreDetails

CM expresses grief over demise of father of MP, MLA Khursheed Ahmad

CM assures priority redressal of public concerns
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the passing away of Khazir Mohammad Sheikh, father...

Read moreDetails

Person cannot be declared “history-sheeter”, placed under surveillance ‘mechanically’ HC

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh has ruled that a person cannot be declared a “history-sheeter”...

Read moreDetails

Have urged chief justices of all HCs to conduct virtual hearings: CJI

‘Imaandari’ not mere ornament to character, it sustains justice and reputation: CJI
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said on Monday that he had requested the chief justices of all...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
6th round of Sino-India military talks lasts 14 hrs

6th round of Sino-India military talks lasts 14 hrs

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.