Reyaz Rashid

3 militants killed, 3 security personnel injured in Pattan encounter

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Baramulla: Three militants were killed and three security personnel, including an Army officer, were injured in an encounter in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Friday, police said.

The gunfight broke out after a joint team of police, Army’s 29 RR and CRPF launched a cordon-and-search-operation at Yadipora in Pattan area of the district in north Kashmir following specific information about the presence of militants, a police official said.

He said the search operation turned into an encounter after the militants fired upon a search party of the forces, which retaliated.

In the initial exchange of fire, an Army officer Rohit Mehra of 29 RR sustained injuries, the official said, adding the injured officer has been taken to 92 Base Hospital for treatment where his condition is stated to be stable.

While one militant has been killed earlier in the operation, reports said two others were killed later in the day.

As the gunfight raged, two special police officers also sustained injuries, the police official said, adding the injured cops were evacuated to a local hospital for treatment.

Meanwhile, the slain militants killed in Yadipora gunfight have been identified as Hanan Bilal Sofi son of Bilal Ahmad Sofi of Arampora Azadguj who joined militant ranks on 27 July 2020 and; Shafkat Ali Khan son of Ali Mohammad of Rawathpora Delina who joined the militant ranks on 27 August.

The official sources said that the identity of the third militant is yet to be ascertained.

Soon after the news about death of local militant reached Azadgunj, youth pelted stones on forces’ vehicles in the area, sources said.

The stone-pelting youth were dispersed and chased away after forces fired tear smoke shells and few rounds in the air, witnesses said.

Another gunfight broke out in Babhaar area of Pulwama district after militants opened fire on a party of security forces from an orchard, the official said.

A local news agency, KNO, reported that firing has stopped while the cordon has been kept intact.

“Lights are on and the cordon is intact. Due to the dark, operation has been halted and is expected to resume with the first light of the day tomorrow,” KNO quoted officials as saying.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *