• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Nepal objected to India’s road to Lipulekh at someone else’s behest: Army Chief

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 15, 2020
in Latest News, NATION
A A
0
SC order on commissioning of women enabling, will give clarity moving forward: Army chief
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: In an apparent indication to a Chinese role, Army Chief Gen M M Naravane on Friday said there were reasons to believe that Nepal objected to India laying a road connecting the Lipulekh pass in Uttarakhand at the behest of someone else even as he asserted that the Army is dealing with incidents of face-offs with Chinese military on a case-by-case basis.

In an interaction at a defence think-tank, Gen Naravane said India will have to remain “alive” to a scenario of a “two-front” war along the northern and western borders, but noted that he does not foresee the possibility of every confrontation leading to such a situation.

More News

Woman killed after wall collapses in Shopian village

Govt announces vacations for summer zone schools

Modi, Rubio discuss bilateral ties, West Asia crisis; Trump invites PM to White House

Load More

On the Army’s big-ticket proposal to induct youngsters for a three-year tenure under the Tour of Duty (ToD) concept, the Army Chief said the idea germinated following feedback from school and college students that they want to experience military life without opting a permanent career in the Army.

Gen Naravane said the ToD will help the Army in cutting down revenue expenses on account of payment of pensions and other benefits.

Replying to a question, he said the Army has received an order from the government to cut expenditure by 20 per cent from the current fiscal due to the COVID-19 crisis, adding the force is implementing it without compromising on its combat readiness.

Expenditure is being cut through a variety of measures including restricting large movements of troops, he said in the video-conference organised by Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses.

On Nepal raising objections to India laying the Lipulekh-Dharchula road, Gen Naravane said the reaction by the neighbouring country was surprising.

“The area east of Kali river belongs to them. The road that we built is on the west of the river. There was no dispute. I don’t know what they are agitating about,” the Army Chief said.

“There has never been any problem in the past. There is reason to believe that they might have raised the issues at the behest of someone else and that is very much a possibility,” he said.

The 80-km-long strategically crucial road at a height of 17,000 feet along the border with China in Uttarakhand was thrown open by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh last week.

Nepal on Saturday raised objection to the inauguration of the road, saying the “unilateral act” was against the understanding reached between the two countries on resolving border issues.

On two separate incidents of face-offs between Indian and Chinese troops, the Army chief said there was no link between the two, adding “We are dealing with them on a case-by-case basis. I have not seen any concerted design into the face-offs.”

On the two-front war, he said it is a possibility and that the country will have to remain prepared to deal with such a scenario.

“It is a possibility. It is not that it is going to happen every time. We have to be alive to all contingencies which can happen, various scenarios that can unfold. We have to remain alive to the possibility.

“But to assume that in all cases both fronts would be 100 per cent active, I think that would be an incorrect assumption to make. In dealing with the two-front scenario, there will always be a priority front and a secondary front. That is how we look at dealing with this two-front threat,” Gen Naravane said.

He said the priority front would be addressed in a different manner while the secondary front will be kept as dormant as possible just to conserve resources to focus on the priority front.

“We should not look at a two-front scenario just as a military responsibility. A country does not go to war with its armed forces alone. It has other pillars like diplomatic corp and other organs of government which will come into play to make sure that we are not forced into a corner where we will have to deal with two adversaries at the same time and in full strength,” he added.

Previous Post

Can’t stop or monitor movement of migrant workers on roads, says SC

Next Post

Body of teenager exhumed in Rajouri for autopsy

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Woman killed after wall collapses in Shopian village

44 killed in Peru bus accident
May 24, 2026

Shopian: A woman lost her life after a cemented wall collapsed on her in the Keegam area of south Kashmir’s...

Read moreDetails

Govt announces vacations for summer zone schools

Summer vacations in Kashmir from July 2: Govt
May 24, 2026

Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Saturday announced summer vacations for schools in the summer zone of Jammu division...

Read moreDetails

Modi, Rubio discuss bilateral ties, West Asia crisis; Trump invites PM to White House

Modi, Rubio discuss bilateral ties, West Asia crisis; Trump invites PM to White House
May 23, 2026

New Delhi: India and the US will continue to work closely for the global good, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said...

Read moreDetails

‘Crackdown’ on CJP, access to all accounts lost, says founder Abhijeet Dipke

‘Crackdown’ on CJP, access to all accounts lost, says founder Abhijeet Dipke
May 23, 2026

New Delhi:  Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) founder Abhijeet Dipke on Saturday alleged a crackdown on the satirical digital outfit, saying...

Read moreDetails

Dressed as cockroach, activist creates stir in Mathura with ‘save Yamuna’ call

‘Cockroach Janata Party’ launches campaign seeking Dharmendra Pradhan’s resignation
May 23, 2026

Mathura: The Cockroach Janta Party, a satirical digital outfit that came up last week and took social media by storm,...

Read moreDetails

Centre offers constitutional safeguards, legislative body for Ladakh; talks still underway, say activists

Will go on 28-day fast from Aug 15 if govt doesn’t initiate talks on our demands: Sonam Wangchuk
May 23, 2026

New Delhi: The Centre has made an offer for constitutional safeguards under Article 371, instead of the Sixth Schedule, and...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
44 killed in Peru bus accident

Body of teenager exhumed in Rajouri for autopsy

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.