• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

China witnesses deadliest day as death toll in coronavirus outbreak surges to 1,367

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
February 14, 2020
in WORLD
A A
0
China witnesses deadliest day as death toll in coronavirus outbreak surges to 1,367
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Beijing/Wuhan, Feb 13 : China on Thursday reported 254 fatalities from the coronavirus outbreak – the highest in a single day and double than the previous record high – taking the death toll to 1,367, as authorities adopted a new diagnosis method amid concerns that the crisis is nowhere near slowing down contrary to official projections.

China’s central Hubei province, the epicentre of the virus outbreak, reported 242 deaths and nearly 15,000 fresh cases on Wednesday, said Mi Feng, a spokesperson with the National Health Commission.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

Twelve fatalities came from other provinces including two in Henan, and one in Tianjin, Hebei, Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Anhui, Shandong, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan, and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps respectively.

The total deaths from the more than two-month-old virus outbreak as reported on Thursday stood at 1,367, with the total number of confirmed cases mounting to 59,804, health officials were quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency.

The Philippines reported the first death outside China from the virus. So far 445 cases have been reported from about 26 countries including three from India.

Amid growing public anger over the handling of the crisis, the ruling Communist Party of China replaced two high-ranking officials in Hubei province, where coronavirus first emerged in late December in provincial capital Wuhan.

Xinhua reported that former Shanghai Mayor Ying Yong, 61, a close ally of President Xi Jinping, has been appointed as the new Hubei party secretary, replacing Jiang Chaoliang.

The leader of Wuhan city, Ma Guoqiang, 56, has been replaced by Wang Zhonglin, 57, the party secretary of Shandong’s provincial capital Jinan.

Jiang, 61, is the highest-ranking political casualty so far in the virus outbreak.

Today’s purge of the officials followed dismissal of the two top health officials in Hubei province earlier this week.

The Hubei Provincial Health Commission said Wuhan has reported 14,840 new cases on Wednesday, including 13,332 “clinically diagnosed cases”, which are being treated as confirmed cases from Thursday onwards as a new method of calculation.

The commission said the adjustment in the calculation has been made to give those who have been clinically diagnosed with the timely standard treatment of confirmed cases.

With this, the total confirmed cases in Hubei province rose to 48,206, it said.

While China attributed the big increase in the numbers to the change in the new methodology of calculation, significantly the rise coincides with the visit of a 15-member team of the specialists of the World Health Organisation (WHO) which is currently visiting China.

It is not yet clear whether WHO team is also scrutinising the numbers relating to the virus.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang declined to confirm whether the method of calculation of the cases is approved by the WHO team.

But at the same time, he told a media briefing online that “the advance team is here to discuss specific arrangements for the China-WHO joint mission with the Chinese side”.

“The purpose of the joint mission is that experts of both sides can have in-depth communication on the situation and efforts of prevention and control, and come up with advice for China and other affected countries. I’ll leave the specifics to the competent authorities , he said.

The big hike in cases comes amid the official accounts that the cases of the coronavirus are coming down and gradually normalcy is being restored.

Under pressure to accommodate growing number of cases, Wuhan health officials started converting dormitories, gyms of universities in the city into hospitals which raised concerns among foreign students who are stuck in the city.

Previous Post

5- Day Capacity Building for Key Resource Persons commences at JU

Next Post

Mujtaba Yousuf helps J&K seize advantage against Haryana

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Mujtaba Yousuf helps J&K seize advantage against Haryana

Mujtaba Yousuf helps J&K seize advantage against Haryana

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.