• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Pompeo backtracks on Afghanistan, says ‘no deadline’ for troops withdrawal

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
August 1, 2019
in WORLD
A A
0
Pompeo sets off for North Korea nuclear talks
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Washington, Jul 31 :  US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo appeared to be backtracking from his statement about President Donald Trump ordering reduction of troops in Afghanistan before the 2020 elections, saying that there is “no deadline” for the withdrawal and the decision will be based on the situation on the ground.

Pompeo had on July 29 said that Trump has ordered to reduce the number of American troops in war-torn Afghanistan before the presidential elections in 2020.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

“That’s my directive from the president of the United States,” Pompeo had said in response to a question.

Pompeo’s comments, that came amidst negotiations between the US and the Taliban, were widely reported in the American media.

However, the top diplomat travelling to the Asia-Pacific region, on Tuesday told journalists accompanying him that reporting on his remarks were not accurate.

“I saw the reporting on that. I wish reporters had been a little more careful in what they had said. They got it wrong. There’s no deadline for this,” Pompeo said in response to a question when asked for a clarification.

“Could you clarify the US’ game plan in Afghanistan?  Are we looking for a total, complete withdrawal by 2020, or will there be some sort of residual advise-and-assist force?” he was asked.

During the presidential election campaign in 2016, Trump pledged to withdraw US troops from Afghanistan and end America’s longest war.

The Trump administration has intensified its efforts to seek a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan where the US has lost over 2,400 soldiers since late 2001, when it invaded the country after the 9/11 terror attacks.

US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad is currently holding talks with the Taliban to work out an agreement for withdrawal of the US troops and participation of the rebel group in the Afghan government.

Pompeo said that President Trump has been very direct about his expectations that US will reduce its operational footprint on the ground in Afghanistan just as quickly as they can get there, consistent with his other mission set, which is to ensure that the US has an adequate risk reduction plan for making sure that there is no terror that’s conducted from Afghanistan as well.

“So we have a twin set of missions,” he said.

Khalilzad, he said, is engaged with the Afghan government, other elements of the Afghanistan leadership and as well as with the Taliban to try and deliver a peace and reconciliation plan that will permit the United States to conduct a conditions-based withdrawal from Afghanistan as quickly as they can execute it.

“So I saw the comments from yesterday. I hope they’re out not only before the next election but before we land today, right.

“Our mission set is to do this as quickly and in a responsible method as we can achieve, consistent with the work that Ambassador Khalilzad has been engaged in for the last six or seven months,” Pompeo said.

Noting that the US will do this with its partners in the region, Pompeo said all of the elements of ‘Resolute Support’ are fully briefed on what the US doing.

“We will have an orderly plan for how we’re going to maintain our counterterrorism posture in the region.

“There’s really not much news here other than as each day goes by, we’re getting closer to getting an understanding from all the parties in Afghanistan about how we would deliver this better outcome not only for the United States and the others who are – who have soldiers and sailors and airmen and marines on the ground and in the air, but for the Afghan people as well,” he said.

“That’s the mission the president has laid out and we’re working our way there. I hope in the next handful of weeks we’ll have significant progress we can announce,” Pompeo said.

Previous Post

Modi betrayed people who voted for hassle-free economy: Singhvi

Next Post

FDA seals 2 manufacturing units, seizes food products worth Rs. 6 lakh

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Dalit woman alleges discrimination, threatens to embrace Islam

FDA seals 2 manufacturing units, seizes food products worth Rs. 6 lakh

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.